Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please advise why I hear a clunking sound when I hit a bump in a flat road. I have a elantra sedan 2013 & have done 70k mileage

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Sway bar links is worst offender for noise..

Go out on street or empty parking lot.... roll straight, and at same time,, whip the steering wheel back - forth to rock the front of car,, see if it makes clunk / knock type sound

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
That is my vote ... sway bar links
If there is any play in the joints of the sway bar
They will amplify the noise through out the car
Making a small clunk into a loud one

But, then again, there are other causes

·
Registered
882 Posts
you make a turn until you can touch the sway bar link, then try to pull the link by hand. A good link should be soild and you can't turn by hands.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think my left front link is going also. When it is a link, you only hear it when you hit a bump with that side only. When you hit a bump with both tires, the sway bar isn't in play. So when my left tire hits a bump, I can hear the start of that link going. I have around 45K on the car. I need to change the oil this week sometime so I'll check it out. I thought I did when I put on the snow tires last month so they can't be too bad. It's a common problem with all cars that have them.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Sway bar links is worst offender for noise..

Go out on street or empty parking lot.... roll straight, and at same time,, whip the steering wheel back - forth to rock the front of car,, see if it makes clunk / knock type sound
You can also reach in behind the front wheel and grab the lower end of the skinny vertical bar while a friend rocks the car from side to side. If you feel a knocking in the palm of your hand, congrats, you are the four millionth Hyundai owner to experience a bad sway bar link. Repair cost is zero under warranty, and only slightly more after warranty.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
You can also reach in behind the front wheel and grab the lower end of the skinny vertical bar while a friend rocks the car from side to side. If you feel a knocking in the palm of your hand, congrats, you are the four millionth Hyundai owner to experience a bad sway bar link. Repair cost is zero under warranty, and only slightly more after warranty.
I got Autozone Duralast links. Lifetime warranty. On my second set (these were free) now.

They were $31 each, and a nice afternoon job.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Funny, I asked the lead at my dealership this very question just yesterday, and he gave the same reply as SBR11.

Apparently the front stabilizer bar links are a "weak link". :)

Couldn't resist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts