Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone one else have a slight clunking sound in the front of their elantra, only noticed it yesterday and is only there at start offs and is there in forward and reverse motions. may be more of a click like sound at times as well

cheers

Mel

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Link (s) at front is soft spot, especially if hit a lot of bumps... the small ball/socket on the link gets loose and you get a clunk sound over bumps... drive carefully down the road, and rock the steering wheel left/right and make the body rock real hard, see if noisey..

·
Registered
161 Posts
QUOTE (highwayman_nl @ Jul 6 2010, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339181
does anyone one else have a slight clunking sound in the front of their elantra, only noticed it yesterday and is only there at start offs and is there in forward and reverse motions. may be more of a click like sound at times as well

cheers

Mel
Hi,well i got that problem before,and the dealership diagnosed and replaced the front end links in both sides under warranty(45 mins job),you can hear that noise over bumps ,potholes or irregular roads,pretty annoying,also you will feel a slight free play in your steering wheel and sound in your suspension (the link that is failing)when you are not in motion and you try to move it one side to the other,then the noise progress over time in one side ,then the other and in my case it was very loud.(My personal experience,that could be different in other circunstances).

Cheers

Phil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phil i have to noise you are refering to, however i also have aa slight knocking in the front end when i put it into either drive or reverse and when i first accererate, and then it isnt heard anymore until i stop and accerate again, got an appointment next week at the dealer so i will update of the outcome, oh and by the way i still have that annoying right rear rattle that they assured me would be fixed i May month

cheers

Mel

·
Registered
161 Posts
QUOTE (highwayman_nl @ Jul 8 2010, 07:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339771
Phil i have to noise you are refering to, however i also have aa slight knocking in the front end when i put it into either drive or reverse and when i first accererate, and then it isnt heard anymore until i stop and accerate again, got an appointment next week at the dealer so i will update of the outcome, oh and by the way i still have that annoying right rear rattle that they assured me would be fixed i May month

cheers

Mel
Mel,do you have the noise when you put the car or i should say when you select
''Drive'' or "reverse"?,then that might be something different,please keep us updated.

Phil.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Sounds like the Santa Fe 2G forum here.

My 2008 SF had a front-end clunking over bumps (bad stabilizer link) and a click/clunk when shifting gears (plastic washer on axle). Both fixed promptly under warranty. See your dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having issues with my 2007 elantra also with these funny noises. I have now had both left and right sway bar link's replaced and also all 4 strut mount dust covers sprayed with urethane because they were lose. This has still not fixed the problem. I get this loud clunking when turning corners and the dealer has yet to figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It helps in all cases to not only tell the forum the year of your vehicle but also the amount of miles/km and if the vehicle is driven mainly in the city, highway, or a combination of both. With enough mileage this could be most any front end part...struts, bushings, just about anything.

Any competent dealer that hears a front end noise should be able to find it...just a case of looking for the part with excess play.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have a 2009 you might be covered under the attached service bulletin - Front Strut noise.

Requires replacement with a new bumper stopper and is covered under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (jeff3820 @ Jul 17 2010, 12:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342500
It helps in all cases to not only tell the forum the year of your vehicle but also the amount of miles/km and if the vehicle is driven mainly in the city, highway, or a combination of both. With enough mileage this could be most any front end part...struts, bushings, just about anything.

Any competent dealer that hears a front end noise should be able to find it...just a case of looking for the part with excess play.

Thanks, this is true information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (highwayman_nl @ Jul 6 2010, 07:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339181

cheers

Mel
If you are driving an Elantra manual transmission the sound you here could be the slight clunk heard when shifting into first gear a little prematurely before stopping (even though the clutch is depressed.) I found that you can only select first gear after a near complete stop to avoid the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (GoodOmens @ Jul 29 2010, 10:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345895
If you have a 2009 you might be covered under the attached service bulletin - Front Strut noise.

Requires replacement with a new bumper stopper and is covered under warranty.
I just got back from my dealer and had a similar complaint. It seems to have been fixed from the small distance I traveled. I was told they applied some type of sealant per a TSB. They only worked on the car for about 30 minutes so I doubt they actually replaced anything.

·
Registered
154 Posts
QUOTE (trekp1 @ Jan 10 2011, 04:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389350
I just got back from my dealer and had a similar complaint. It seems to have been fixed from the small distance I traveled. I was told they applied some type of sealant per a TSB. They only worked on the car for about 30 minutes so I doubt they actually replaced anything.
I have the noise from the front suspension of my car, taking it in tomorrow to have them do the TSB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the clunking on my 09 elantra with 14,200 miles. It started around 13,500 miles ago. No big deal for me now,but if it gets any worse I'll take it in. The couple of hyundai service depts I've visited have sucked here in houston.

·
Registered
154 Posts
QUOTE (dzus @ Jan 17 2011, 06:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=391530
I have the clunking on my 09 elantra with 14,200 miles. It started around 13,500 miles ago. No big deal for me now,but if it gets any worse I'll take it in. The couple of hyundai service depts I've visited have sucked here in houston.
North Freeway Hyundai kept blowing me off on the TSB because they needed a part from a hardware store and they were too lazy to get it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I had my '01 Accent North Freeway Hyundai did a bit of labor on the drivers door free for me and I was very happy with it, when it comes to warranty issues...not so much. I go to college in Austin so I took my Elantra by South Point Hyundai here, they preformed the TSB in less than an hour and now I hear absolutely no front suspension noise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (nick944 @ Jan 12 2011, 01:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389930
I have the noise from the front suspension of my car, taking it in tomorrow to have them do the TSB.
I have a 2009 Elantra GLS with about 19,000 miles on it. Last January with about 10K on it I had the same noise. Kind of like a plastic popping noise at low speed over a rough road. Did not do it at high speed. Had the TSB work done on it for the bumper stoppers. All was fine...Now the noise is back again and am bringing it back next week to have them inspect it again.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
QUOTE (Hdriver @ Jan 24 2011, 11:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=394025
I have a 2009 Elantra GLS with about 19,000 miles on it. Last January with about 10K on it I had the same noise. Kind of like a plastic popping noise at low speed over a rough road. Did not do it at high speed. Had the TSB work done on it for the bumper stoppers. All was fine...Now the noise is back again and am bringing it back next week to have them inspect it again.....
It's funny you said that because the noise just came back (although not as loud as before) after only two days. Back to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts