Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having a new problem with a clunk when I brake my 2009 Sonata. It only happens the first 1-2 times I brake while going forward. In other words, I back my car down my driveway, no clunk. Then when I drive down my street, the first 1-2 times I brake it will start slowing and then suddenly I will feel the brakes grab and it feels like a clunk (although now real audible cluck, just the feeling). after the clunk my car continues to slow as normal. The rest of my ride I do not feel it. After I get out of work, it does the same thing as I am headed home.

Any ideas? I have never felt this before, and find it strange that it only happens after the car has been sitting a while and goes away after 1-2 brakings.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Sounds like caliper(s) that has/have a hard time moving when used for the first time after sitting for a while. It could also be that your brake fluid is old or has been compromised in some way, air, contaminants, etc. I would get the brakes checked to make sure all of the calipers are moving freely and without any extra effort required and that the brake fluid is up to specifications.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (Luxury @ Oct 8 2010, 08:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361993
I think the ABS does a quick system test the first time you brake going forward.
If it does, I've never felt it and i definitely feel the ABS when it does activate. My brakes only make that clunking sound when the ABS is active. I would guess the same for when ESC is active, but I don't have much experience with ESC.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Previous Honda's I've owed do this because of self adjusting brakes. Could our Hyundai have the same thing?

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Oct 8 2010, 09:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361994
If it does, I've never felt it and i definitely feel the ABS when it does activate. My brakes only make that clunking sound when the ABS is active. I would guess the same for when ESC is active, but I don't have much experience with ESC.
My Breaks have never been used in the ABS mode yet, no emergency stopping in the last 5 years :banana:

This is known as the ABS Self Brake Check Test

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t53845-somet...ng-to-drive.htm

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362011
My Breaks have never been used in the ABS mode yet, no emergency stopping in the last 5 years :banana:
On icy roads here, sometimes it's hard to hit the brakes and NOT engage ABS, no matter how lightly or smoothly one does so. While I'm not a big fan of ABS, having driven in snow/ice conditions for 35 years or so without ABS, it is nice to have them as a backup in case I need to make an emergency stop, and NOT lose control of my vehicle.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (ActionMan @ Oct 8 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362019
On icy roads here, sometimes it's hard to hit the brakes and NOT engage ABS, no matter how lightly or smoothly one does so. While I'm not a big fan of ABS, having driven in snow/ice conditions for 35 years or so without ABS, it is nice to have them as a backup in case I need to make an emergency stop, and NOT lose control of my vehicle.
Yes it can be quite an excellent feature. We also have EBD, Electronic Brake Distribution, and the whole system works very well, I hope. :innocent:

The ABS Self brake check as you can see by the TSB is what many here describe in the O/P's Thread, and the one over at Sonata 5G.
It is funny to hear it gurgle and pop with a slight grind and moan. I hear it every time. Glad to know its there working away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts