Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks and may I say this is my first post. I just bought an 88 Excel with only 68000 mlies on it. It is in very good shape starts easy but lacks power. The local garage says the ''front'' cat converter is clogged, and I noticed the rear is no longer there. My ? is'' has anybody here tried to hollow out the front converter on these 1.5 litre motors. It looks like a tough job if I cant get some bolts off. This is not a regular cat converter and of course does not look to easy to remove. Here in Quebec this is not a necessary item since we don't have an emmission test yet so I would like to remove it BUT'' it appears I can not just replace it with any ''old pipe'' because of its odddddd shape. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you Gary :unsure:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by skyclone@Dec 1 2004, 03:04 PM
Hello folks and may I say this is my first post. I just bought an 88 Excel with only 68000 mlies on it. It is in very good shape starts easy but lacks power. The local garage says the ''front'' cat converter is clogged, and I noticed the rear is no longer there. My ? is'' has anybody here tried to hollow out the front converter on these 1.5 litre motors. It looks like a tough job if I cant get some bolts off. This is not a regular cat converter and of course does not look to easy to remove. Here in Quebec this is not a necessary item since we don't have an emmission test yet so I would like to remove it BUT'' it appears I can not just replace it with  any ''old pipe'' because of its odddddd shape. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you  Gary :unsure:
[snapback]3219[/snapback]​

Ok I did some homework so for anybody out there that runs into same problem a good mechanic I know from the past who constantly works on old Jap beaters etc told me he could easily ''ream'' out the converter coming out of the exhaust manifold for about 1 hour labour. Hopefully this will solve the problem and I will let you all know. BTW this 88 excel is really in great shape with only minimal mileage on it . I only paid 500$ Cdn for it so whats another 40$. It also came with 4 brand new wintertrack snow tires on rims so I think I got a **** of a deal on this winter beater.!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by skyclone@Dec 2 2004, 03:16 PM
Ok I did some homework so for anybody out there that runs into same problem a good mechanic I know from the past who constantly works on old Jap beaters etc told me he could easily ''ream'' out the converter coming out of the exhaust manifold for about 1 hour labour. Hopefully this will solve the problem and I will let you all know. BTW this 88 excel is really in great shape with only minimal mileage on it . I only paid 500$ Cdn for it so whats another 40$. It also came with 4 brand new wintertrack snow tires on rims so I think I got a **** of a deal on this winter beater.!!
[snapback]3243[/snapback]​

OK got converter reamed out and guess what? It runs full steam ahead!! So, for those of you who are not sure why your motor has ''no balls'' and running sluggish this could be something to look at. The job cost me 40$ and well worth every penny.She goes like snot now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hahaha, I'm glad you like the hollow cat. Something like that in the US would be uber illegal, but what me and my friends do, running no cats, are illegal. But we have ways around it. Me and my friends have to get our cars registered in different counties around here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh, and most of the time you can actually just ram a smaller pipe through the cat to clear out all the catylist. That's what I would have done :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 801Excel@Dec 8 2004, 10:45 AM
Oh, and most of the time you can actually just ram a smaller pipe through the cat to clear out all the catylist. That's what I would have done :D
[snapback]3433[/snapback]​

Sounds like us. I live across the river from Ontario where they have to undergo an emmission test every 2 years and without a cat they would never pass. There is talk of the test coming to Quebec but hopefully that won't happen for awhile. I guess were not helping the ozone layer any but ''one less cat'' won't be noticed.!!Anyhow my winter ''beater'' has big balls now.!! ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
1 less cat for every person, multiply that for the hundreds of billions of cars all around the world and thats why you can not stand out side anymore with no shirt on in the sun.
Or the same reason kids end up with melenoma's at the age of 13.

Try and think of it that way.

Do you know how long it takes for those harmful gasses to diminsh once they have reached the ozone layer.
Over 100 years, and for those 100years or more they are constantly doing damage to the ozone layer.

People are pumping that **** up there every single day,....so basically we have been screwed for life for your extra 5 kW!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are absolutely right Dr.Hundi. It is illegal to run a car here without a cat and I would get a heavy fine if caught.Pollution has dropped dramatically since the catalytic converter and unleaded fuels have been introduced to the automotive industry. I dont think I have screwed humanity for 100 years though, as I will only be running this car for a few months this winter and then will look for another complete exhaust system for this little 4 cyl., just couldn't afford it right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts