Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know how notorious Tiburons are with faulty wiring, especially after modifications such as a new stereo, and usually I can figure it out, but this one has me stumped.

My climate control unit likes to melt itself... Ya know, the thing with the three knobs. Well, it is the back part of it where the wiring harness goes into the middle knob. I am now on my third one and have just replaced the blower regulator hoping that maybe that would solve the problem, but still nothing. What it does is heats up so much that it melts the wiring and the portion of the clip attached to the panel itself. The only wires effected are the ground and the #4 setting (it is a grey one). I found out it was the "#4 High" setting by testing some things. Both the ground and the grey wire have melted near the clip exposing the wires which are now corroded and nasty from extreme heat. After this last "fix" the wires are still getting VERY hot, even to the touch after just a couple minutes of running the AC on high.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and what to do to fix it? I am tempted to run a new ground line to see if that doesn't help a bit, but that doesn't make much since to me since none of the other lines get that hot. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (03Tibby09 @ May 30 2010, 10:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327876
So, I know how notorious Tiburons are with faulty wiring, especially after modifications such as a new stereo, and usually I can figure it out, but this one has me stumped.
I know almost nothing about the Tiberon, but why would it be "faulty wiring especially after modifications such as a new stereo", that

would make your Climate Control "overheat". When you say faulty wiring, who's fault would it be, like after a Modification?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be Hyundai's fault for using low grade plastics, metals, and wires. I am not saying Hyundai is bad at all, I love my car and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it, especially after all of the mods and work I have put into it, but the wiring has been an issue ever since I bought the car. Certain plastic parts melted, certain wires melted or corroded faster than usual, and certain parts failed that should not have, given the fact the car was released in 2002 making it nearly 8 years old is all. I had to replace the clutch, just like MANY others that bought a 2003 Tiburon, and I have heard nothing good about the wiring from those years either. Many others online have had similar issues where something shorts out or burns something up, and the cause is nearly impossible to find without having a complete rework on the electrical systems, which would cost a pretty penny. My second passenger side window motor has gone out recently, and I decided to just not replace it until I can get the window rewired because obviously something has shorted there as well. Two of my switches (one for the window and one for the sunroof) shorted out and I had to solder a couple points on it to fix it. As I said, I love my car, but the electrical issues and mechanical issues that I have had should not be occurring in a car that is less than 8 years old.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The only reason for wires to overheat is excess load.... and the load on them wires is ----------------------> HVAC fan,,, have you tried to measure the draw with ammeter at the fan motor ?

Whats funny is, in almost 7yr of Hyundai, I have not had to do any kind of wire repair to a Tiburon. Light bulbs, oil changes, blades, brakes, rear calipers, battery, clutch, a couple engine (4 cyl), cabin filters, window motors, latch-actuator assemblies, BCM, recalls, front lower arms, no frame yet, plugs, plug wires... but no bum wire repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem with my 03 Tiburon A/C overheating and melting of the wirings too.
I also replaced the module at least four times before I decided to take it in to a mechanic for advice.
the problem is you have a short some where in the wiring, if you can not find the short you will need to
replace the wiring harness. (My short was in the wiring behind the unit in the dash.)
They fixed the short and I have not had a problem since. I suggest to go see (joe mechanic) before taking it to the dealer.
The Dealer will say the harness needs to be replaced and try to charge you about 1500.00 to do it.
My (joe mechanic) fixed it for about 200.00.
I know how you feel.
Good Luck with it,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts