Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regardless of outside temperature, is the compressor always on when you choose AUTO? Say the outside temp. is 36, and I set my dial to 72 and then hit AUTO, will the compressor come on? What are the advantages of using AUTO as opposed to just setting temp. and adjusting fan speed? By the way, I have a Sonata, purchase in February, with 10,000 miles and love everything about this car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In Auto mode the system will control the mode, fan speed, air intake, etc. You just set the temp you want and the system will adjust whatever it needs to keep that temp. The compressor only comes on when there is a call for air conditioner. In your case you would be asking for heat which will not turn on the compressor. Auto mode just makes it easier and more convenient for you. Take a look at the manual starting at page 4-88 to read about all the modes and features of the automatic climate control system.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (AWAHOO @ Dec 22 2010, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382338
Regardless of outside temperature, is the compressor always on when you choose AUTO?
That has been the case in all my vehicles equipped with auto climate systems (over a dozen). It sucks, but I'm used to that. In winter, I operate the system manually, meaning turning the fan on. System keeps the temperature as chosen, but doesn't turn compressor on. Only my Lexus cars turned the stupid compressor on, even when manually turning fan on when A/C was off at the last ignition cycle. That was even worse, so the Hyundai is not that bad. Take care.

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Dec 25 2010, 03:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383334
That has been the case in all my vehicles equipped with auto climate systems (over a dozen). It sucks, but I'm used to that. In winter, I operate the system manually, meaning turning the fan on. System keeps the temperature as chosen, but doesn't turn compressor on. Only my Lexus cars turned the stupid compressor on, even when manually turning fan on when A/C was off at the last ignition cycle. That was even worse, so the Hyundai is not that bad. Take care.
Are you saying that you see the compressor always on with the Sonata's climate control on Auto? I've got a Yf 2.4L Limited, and the air / compressor clearly turns on and off based on interior temperature relative to the temp you set on the thermostat. My former BMW X3 that I traded in to get the Sonata used to do what you describe, i.e., the compressor would stay ON if I turned it on, even when the climate control was set to Auto -- but it appears to me that the Sonata's auto climate control operates the compressor, fans, vents (floor vs face level vs defrost vents) automatically, per the thermostat...

- Jon

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked this same question several months ago and never got a satisfactory answer. If you set the temperature at 72 in AUTO mode and the outside temperature is 33 is the compressor on? YES or NO?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the consensus is that the answer is NO. The compressor should only come on when there is a need for cooling. If you want 72 and the ambient temp is in the 30's then you are asking for heat. The compressor is not used for heat, only for air conditioning. The only time the compressor should come on is if you want the inside air colder than what can be provided by fresh air and then the air conditioner runs which basically turns the compressor on. The compressor turning on and off should be pretty obvious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts