Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I’m beginning to hear some weird clicking sounds when turning the steering wheel. Sometimes the sounds come and other times it doesn’t. My aftermarket wheels are an inch bigger in diameter than factory and I have a +35mm offset. Do the wheels have anything to do with a possible worn CV joint? I doubt that CV joints could wear out after only one year. If anyone has any idea on what it might be I’d appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
It you take it to the dealer, make sure you put the old wheels back. That oversize wheels will be grounds for them not to honor any warranty work should it calls for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Take it to a dealer before it gets worse.

I had a similar problem on my 2015 2.0T. My steering was making a clicking noise that turned into a 90% loss of power steering halfway between a trip from FL to NY. I was able to drive it home, but the dealer had the car for 3 days replacing the steering system under warranty. Luckily Hyundai provided a rental. I have the standard wheels and tires so that wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked underneath the car to see if it’s the CV joints and I don’t see any signs of wear and tear. Any idea what else it might be? I’m gonna swap the rims out to the factory ones and drive with those for a week and see if the sound replicates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,392 Posts
The steering components are in a tight space and nearly inaccessible
It is very difficult to see if anything is wrong
Hoping that it is covered by warranty, it would be best to take it back to the dealer to have a look
Ounce of prevention type of thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm at the dealership now with the same issue. I have a brand new 2017 Sonata SE and this issue started a couple months ago. They are diagnosing it now and will try to give everyone an update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have the clicking sound when turning the wheel. I also hear a squeak when I go over broken pavement coming from the left side of the engine compartment.

Looks like I'd better get it to the dealer.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Can you please provide more information? Are you moving or stationary? Is it only when turning a certain way? Does it also click when you go over a speed bump or bumps in the road? If you are not moving and turning the wheel it isn't the outer axles.
@nitely we do have the same Coupling issue but I don't know if it is for the LF but I do know they YF does, I had to replace mine. lol

·
Registered
404 Posts
The 2.4 has the same column mounted steering motor as the yf's so they are probably prone to the same fate with the worn bushing and clunking sound over bumps and when turning wheel.

The 2.0 lf's have a rack mounted motor and is a totally different set up that the yf's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue and learned that it is due to a bad rubber coupling in the MDPS (motor driven power steering). Hyundai has revised their warranty to include this up to 100,000 miles, or from 10 years of original delivery date, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone

anybody have turning wheel for Huyndai click with function button and don't use? please pass to me
THank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts