Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Elantra limited. About 2 weeks ago I've started to hear a clicking noise coming from the gearbox when brake pedal is pressed and let go. This only happens when the car is at standstill. I took it in for service today and sales rep said its a normal clicking noise and his sisters car makes same sound. He said its an actuator motor engaging to allow the car to shift when brake is pressed. The thing is, the clicking was never there before or maybe not so loud. So what should I do? Car is still under warranty, should I demand for them to replace the actuating motor? Maybe call Hyundai and complain that they said the noise is normal ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your salesman is telling the truth. The noise is caused by a solenoid which is activated when you step on the brake pedal, allowing the gear shifter to move. It's a safety interlock system to prevent accidental movement of the car when shifting gears.

The solenoid might qualify for replacement under warranty if it's unacceptably loud. Comparing it to another Elantra might help you decide if this is worth pursuing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your welcome and reply. Its definitely loud. I've had my car since late 2011 and never noticed the sound until about 2 weeks ago, so its something that happen recently.

·
22,793 Posts
Not sure "demand" is the right tact. I'd try a little milder approach, first. Then see how it goes. You can easily take it up a notch, if needed. If you go in and start off at a rant, you've got nowhere else to go. You're not wanting this service manager to be your best friend, but you don't want him as your worst enemy, either.

I'd ask them if the progressively increasing noise is normal? See what they say. At least your concern will be documented in the files; date, time, mileage, complaint. Good thing to have on your side if this gets worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts