Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2006 Kia spectra (I know, a Kia, but pretty much Elantra in disguise) that has a strange issue. She states she’s driving along, someone pulls out in front of her, she panic stops from 45mph. All good, she continues on, accelerating normally. Let’s off the gas and click click click from left front. I look at car, it makes a loud clicking noise. It sound just like the wheel spinning on wheel of fortune. For you older folk, not unlike a playing card in spokes. It clicks more than once per revolution. You hear it inside the car very plainly.

Car on jacks. I pull wheel and look. Brake pads are worn and need replacement. Nothing else is loose. No click when manually spinning wheel, no torn CV boot, no oil leaks, no nothing. I removed left front caliper, couldn’t find anything obvious (sans the pads). Reinstalled, took for a drive, same noise. I coasted in neutral, click. I coast with engine off in neutral, clicky. Reverse, clicky then silence. Does it with brakes on or off. Definitely left front. Does not appear to have excess play in axle Assy. I am versed in mechanical, but I am stumped on this one. Any guesses?

·
Registered
882 Posts
sounds like motor mount. More specifically, the top left transmission mount or rear bottom trans mount. Remove the air filter box then you can see the top one, then push the car gently back and forth to see the rubber rebound

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check those, but what would (motor mount-wise) make it click continuously like a wheel of fortune or Geiger counter or cards in spokes?

Thank you for responding

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No noise with wheel off car. Can not reproduce it when trying to spin rotor by hand. Again, makes a noise like the wheel of fortune wheel. The same speed, as well. I thought at first it might be an ABS ring on the shaft, as the clicking would approximate the teeth per revolution., but there is only one ring, and it is intact, on the right side of car.
It is only during driveline motion. I am stumped.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Could you possibly have something stuck on the tire??

No noise with it jacked up and spun by hand
Noise when driving

either that or something in the suspension is flexing when driving

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing in tire. It clicks a number of times for each revolution of tire, 15-20 times, again, same sound and rate as the wheel on wheel of fortune, or the sound of playing cards clothes-pinned to a spoked bicycle wheel. I have to do brakes on it anyhow, but I cant see what in the brakes would cause such a rapid and loud Clicking noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts