Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago, I complained about a clicking/clapping sound when I fiddle around with the clutch. I took my car to the dealer today. I let him hear the problem and he instantly knew the problem. 3 minutes for diagnostic. 1 minute for paper work. 1 hour and 26 minutes of labor. DONE. When I let the mechanic hear the noise he rolled his eyes and said, "All newer Elantra's do this".

I was lucky because the customer before me had the same problem and he/she didn't show up on their time slot. The parts were there already and he brought my car in. He said the problem was a bad axle nut, and needs a new spacer, or something. Some dealers tighten it but he highly recommends getting a new one.

After an hour and a half I was gone.

Members SSJ, VXMOTO23, and 6SPDMANUAL, had the same nut problem and their issues has been resolved:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/269-gd-2013-elantra-gt/165090-possible-clutch-problem-4.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/162953-clicking-clunking-noise.html

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Thanks for posting CheckBlueGT.

What is it with Hyundai and axle-related noises? My 2012 Veracruz is making clunking sounds that another member resolved by tightening the axle nut, and my 2008 Santa Fe before that required an axle spacer to resolve a clunking noise. It boggles the mind how a company's products can improve in leaps and bounds and yet be dogged by such basic issues. :wacko:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just made an appointment for tomorrow at the dealer for our '13 GLS that is making the sound in the right front. Started about 4 weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse.

Hope they're familiar with the issue... sounds (no pun intended) like they should be!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just made an appointment for tomorrow at the dealer for our '13 GLS that is making the sound in the right front. Started about 4 weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse.

Hope they're familiar with the issue... sounds (no pun intended) like they should be!
Please tell me what they say. I am wondering, too.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

What is it with Hyundai and axle-related noises? My 2012 Veracruz is making clunking sounds that another member resolved by tightening the axle nut, and my 2008 Santa Fe before that required an axle spacer to resolve a clunking noise. It boggles the mind how a company's products can improve in leaps and bounds and yet be dogged by such basic issues. :wacko:
That's crazy. I hope they fixed it right. It was probably a bad parts supplier.

·
22,793 Posts
That's crazy. I hope they fixed it right. It was probably a bad parts supplier.
Yeah, like that's never happened before! :grin:

Anytime a car manufacturer's supplier(s) mess up on one of their subcontracted parts, there's heck to pay in reams of paperwork, corrective actions, audits, even the threat of lost business as the supplier of choice. That happens too many times and the OEM finds a new supplier!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
It was probably a bad parts supplier.
For five years?

I suspect Hyundai's bean counters did the math and decided that adding the occasional washer under warranty is cheaper than finding a new supplier. So they keep doing it. Ditto the infamous OEM stabilizer links with plastic bushings... some vehicles need frequent replacements under warranty, but apparently it's a small price because Hyundai keeps using 'em.

In fairness these are minor sacrifices. Considering the company's rapid sales growth it's remarkable how solid the products are overall. If this was Ford there would be engine fires and paint peeling off in sheets ^_^

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's not just Hyundai/Kia. Audi, VW, and BMW are always plagued by the same electrical failures for decades!!: fuel pumps, ignition coils, emission systems, sensors.

·
Registered
418 Posts

Just ask the Honda Ridgeline owners why some of their trucks still have roof leaks after 8 years of Honda manufacturing the same model design.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
It's not just Hyundai/Kia. Audi, VW, and BMW are always plagued by the same electrical failures for decades!!: fuel pumps, ignition coils, emission systems, sensors.
Amen to that. Although being temperamental and expensive to own is part of the snob appeal of a German car. BWM owners brag about their maintenance expenses, whereas Hyundai owners complain. Hyundai has to be reliable.

Just ask the Honda Ridgeline owners why some of their trucks still have roof leaks after 8 years of Honda manufacturing the same model design.
That says a lot about the car industry today. Honda used to be an example of a company that fixes its problems quickly.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Axle nut had to be retorqued. They said it is fairly common issue as has been referenced here before.

We are out of town and will not pick it up for a few more days, but they say it is fixed.
I guess it depends on the dealer. Some dealers retorque the axle nut. Some, like my dealer, buy completely new parts including spacers. Thanks for the reply.

·
22,793 Posts
Honda used to be an example of a company that fixes its problems quickly.
..."used to be..." Sums it up, pretty well, Don. A shame, too.

·
22,793 Posts
Rockhound: "You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"

Yep, bean counters. They're everywhere. Whether it's axle nuts to peach trees, alignment shims to paint molecules, some brainiac is calculating the total whatever of something. Costs of doing business.

·
Registered
639 Posts
UPDATE: Picked the car up after axle nuts were retorqued by dealer service department and the issue is resolved. No more "noise".

·
22,793 Posts
UPDATE: Picked the car up after axle nuts were retorqued by dealer service department and the issue is resolved. No more "noise".
"Sigh of relief" missing from your post, Randy. LOL That's great news. Enjoy your NEW ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts