Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for those who bought and added the clear protective covers on their bumper an hood.

What brand did you get?
Where did you get it?
How much did you get it for?
How much was the installation?
Is this a whole kit or you have to buy a bumper kit and a hood kit?
Where did you get it installed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 19 2010, 04:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314641
This question is for those who bought and added the clear protective covers on their bumper an hood.

What brand did you get?
Where did you get it?
How much did you get it for?
How much was the installation?
Is this a whole kit or you have to buy a bumper kit and a hood kit?
Where did you get it installed?

Thanks!
I'm going to call Zibart tomorrow to get a quote for this product: http://ziebart57-px.rtrk.com/z-shield.php they call it "Z Shield" whoo.
I want to get something like this installed on the front bumper, hood, quarter panels, and mirrors.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Only thing that I have any experience with is the 3M. Although I've not seen it in person, I've heard some less than positive stories about other brands (not that one specifically). I know that quality really matters and I have seen a huge difference between window films (purpling, bubbling, peeling, etc). I wouldn't expect the protective film to be any different in that regard. The manufacturers warranty usually separates the really good stuff from the rest of the pack, but may require a professional install to be valid, not sure.

One thing I would add, is that the pre-cut kits will not provide the best coverage. A custom cut installation with the leading edges of the panels wrapped is the best route. I went to a local place called Dimensional Sound & Vision. They had a large roll of the 3M film and a machine that would cut the pieces. They also did the window film the same way, which I had them do at the same time. Not sure if they started with a template and made it bigger or what (didn't ask). Anyway, you'll thank yourself for it later. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok got some quotes for this.
For 3m
$750 Bumper, fenders, mirrors, and just above the head lights on the hood.
$729 Bumper, fenders, mirrors, hood.

For the Z shield stuff from Ziebart
$699 Bumper, Fenders, mirrors, hood.

Thats a lot cash... Is the clearbra really worth it? What have other people paid for this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
That does sound like a lot, even adjusting for inflation. I had my Eclipse done in 2003 for around $350 (3M), which included bumper, fenders, hood, headlights, and fog lights. That's roughly double the price I paid then. In any case, I'll probably still pay it. I guess it really just depends on how much you can stomach the rock chips, because it certainly won't add that much to the resell value.

QUOTE (stunt101 @ Apr 20 2010, 03:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315045
Ok got some quotes for this.
For 3m
$750 Bumper, fenders, mirrors, and just above the head lights on the hood.
$729 Bumper, fenders, mirrors, hood.

For the Z shield stuff from Ziebart
$699 Bumper, Fenders, mirrors, hood.

Thats a lot cash... Is the clearbra really worth it? What have other people paid for this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Since I picked up my new SE this past weekend, I stopped by at lunch today to make an appointment to get the windows tinted and the protective film. This is the pricing I got on installing the high-end 3M Aeroguard film (http://www.clearmask.com/aerogard.php). These are the kits, and from what I was told you can get two different sizes for the hood. One goes just above the headlights and the other goes halfway up the hood. The price below is for the larger one.

Hood, Fenders, Mirrors - $150
Front Bumper - $250
Headlights, Foglights - $75

So, that totals $475 to cover everything you could possibly want to cover using the best thing on the market right now. I would expect you'd pay more for a custom cut that wraps the leading edges, but not sure how much. I'll be using 3M brand tint as well, with a lifetime garrantee against discoloration.

My appointment is for next Monday, so I'll post pics when it's done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok, so here is the (almost) finished product. It's still a little hazy because it hasn't dried yet (was just finished a couple of hours ago), and I have to take it back an about a week to fix a few things. Ironically, I hit a ton of bugs on the way home, so my apologies for that. I can't wash it for a while till everything dries good. The tint is 3M Scotchtint CS-35 (35%) all around, which is non-metallic.

Bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors are covered in 3M Aerogard. The 3M Aeroguard paint protection film kits fit fairly well, but the sideview mirrors are a real pain and have to be stretched a lot. The edges will have to be trimmed next week, along with removing a small bug that somehow made it's way under the film on one of the mirrors. If you know what you're doing, this stuff can be removed and reapplied. Also, the price on the kit for the front bumper went up ~$100 from last week when mine was ordered (just an FYI). The headlights and foglights are covered in 3M Lightgard, which is a slightly different film made especially for acrylic light housings.

I tried to get shots at the right angle and lighting so you could see where the edge of the film comes to, but that turned out to be a little harder than I thought. I did get a couple shots that show it pretty well though (hood/mirror). Total cost is itemized below the pics.

Rear quarter shot of window tint:
[attachment=17858:p4140001.JPG]

Front quarter shot of window tint:
[attachment=17859:p4140002.JPG]

Another front quarter shot of bumper (can't really see the paint or light film in this one):
[attachment=17860:p4140003.JPG]

Straight on shot of front with the lighting just right so you can see where the film comes to on the hood. Not as far up as I had hoped, but meh:
[attachment=17861:p4140004.JPG]

Shot of the sideview mirror showing the edge of the film:
[attachment=17862:p4140005.JPG]

Tint sides and back > $199.99
Tinted eyebrow > $20.00
Front bumper film > $249.99*
Headlight/Foglight film > $75.00
Hood/Fender/Mirror film > $149.99
Tax > $59.07
Total > $754.04

* This kit went up ~$100 in the last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got mine done yesterday.

3M Scotch Guard (only one in the market that has a real clear coat)
Complete kit:
Mirrors
Hood
Bumper
Fender
Fog Lights
Head Lights

Total: $795 installed.
Lifetime warranty on materials and labor

If you are in Northern VA and thinking about getting it done, let me know and I"ll tell you where to go. These guys will even come to your home or office to get it done. Posting pics soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am asking these questions out of stupidity:

1. What is the purpose of this stuff?
2. Why only get part of the car done if it is so good?
3. How does this stuff work when polishing the car?

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 21 2010, 06:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324999
I am asking these questions out of stupidity:

1. What is the purpose of this stuff?
2. Why only get part of the car done if it is so good?
3. How does this stuff work when polishing the car?
1. Protect the more prone frontal areas of the paint against chips or other damage from rocks, bugs, etc.
2. I suppose if you wanted to pay for it, then you could. But it's generally only needed on the front facing surfaces.
3. You wax it as you would the rest of the car. You should use only non-abrasive polish. Only pain is that the wax will build up next to the film and make the edges stand out. I use a soft bristle toothbrush to remove it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the pics:

Can you see them?
[attachment=18193:DSC03441.JPG]
[attachment=18194:DSC03442.JPG]
[attachment=18195:DSC03443.JPG]

How about now?
[attachment=18196:DSC03445.JPG]
[attachment=18197:DSC03446.JPG]
[attachment=18198:DSC03447.JPG]

Overall they did a find job. All the headlights and fog lights have them too which is even harder to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 21 2010, 07:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325014
Here are the pics:

Can you see them?

How about now?

Overall they did a find job. All the headlights and fog lights have them too which is even harder to see.
I took ~15 pictures of mine trying to find just the right angle/lighting to get it to show up in a picture. The edges dont stand out that much at all unless you're really up close to the car and looking for it. Also, you'll find that it will become even harder to see after a week or so when the haze drys off underneath.

My last car was done in Scotchgard, which is the first generation 3M product. The Aerogard does not have the clear coating, which is what makes it more optically clear and easier to stretch around crazy curves (like our mirrors) without distorting the coating. Honestly, I can't visually tell the difference between the two other than I payed more this time around for the newer stuff.

I don't really know what the difference is with the Lightgard film, other than it supposedly holds up better under extreme temperature swings on acrylic lenses. I think that its probably more for people who live up north where it can be very cold. I used the Scotchgard on my lenses the last time and it looked good after 3 years with no problems.

I suspect the majority of the differences between the films are marginal at best, and exaggerated by 3M's marketing department.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 21 2010, 07:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325014
Here are the pics:

Can you see them?

How about now?

Very nice!! I can't even tell you have them on there.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am looking for something that I can protect the part where the bodywork folds underneath the car. This is where most of the rust damage starts in the colder climates (read salt on the roads) since paint chips are not easy to spot there and normally only noticed when the rust has crept to where you can see it, when it is too late. I am thinking of getting a few strips of the good stuff and do it myself - it does not have to look too perfect because - well nobody will see it (except for the mechanic when servicing the car)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got mine done a week ago today, and I love it, I got the kit that goes up the hood a little over half way (36"?) Its huge. I got the full bumper, mirrors, fenders and hood for $325. If your in the PHX, AZ area PM me and Ill hook you up with the name and number. He does great work, comes to you, and is almost as funny as Martin Lawrence.

Oh and he uses solargard, he claims the warranty is just as good, and that its .3mm thicker providing better protection than 3M. Dont know if its true, dont even care really Im just glad i got it, my last car looked like a rock truck sh it on it.

Edit: Oh and he only charges $125 for any tint on any car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts