Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Phantom Black SE and have found that the smallest scratch in the clear coat really stands out. I had the car less than a week and got a couple of scratches just behind the driver side headlight. The dealership buffed this out for me. Well, yesterday my car was in the direct sun and I noticed another very small scratch in roughly the same area just behind the headlight. I assume this is new since I didn't see it after the dealership buffed the other ones out. Are any of you guys having problems with the clear coat scratching easily? This is my first new car and I'm treating it like a baby, so I'm not sure where the scraching is coming from. I went to an parts store today and got some meguires scratch x 2.0 and it seemed to take the scratch out pretty well. I know that I'm probably being too picky because these things do happen, but like I said, it's my first new car and this thing is a work of beauty and I'm pretty anal about it right now. Do you guys have any ideas or recommendations?

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Psitech @ Apr 19 2010, 05:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314664
I've got a Phantom Black SE and have found that the smallest scratch in the clear coat really stands out. I had the car less than a week and got a couple of scratches just behind the driver side headlight. The dealership buffed this out for me. Well, yesterday my car was in the direct sun and I noticed another very small scratch in roughly the same area just behind the headlight. I assume this is new since I didn't see it after the dealership buffed the other ones out. Are any of you guys having problems with the clear coat scratching easily? This is my first new car and I'm treating it like a baby, so I'm not sure where the scraching is coming from. I went to an parts store today and got some meguires scratch x 2.0 and it seemed to take the scratch out pretty well. I know that I'm probably being too picky because these things do happen, but like I said, it's my first new car and this thing is a work of beauty and I'm pretty anal about it right now. Do you guys have any ideas or recommendations?

That is the downside of having a black car. You can see every imperfection, but most can be buffed out.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Psitech @ Apr 19 2010, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314664
Do you guys have any ideas or recommendations?
Full Clear 3M Cover! :grin:

Seriously though, being a phantom black owner myself it is hard to maintain and yes, you will see every scratch on a sunny day. I park as far away from other cars as possible and baby it, but in the end you will have to accept the fact that it will get dirty, scratched, etc.

At the end of the day though it's worth the headache. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't know if colored wax is still sold, but when I had a black car I used black wax and it concealed surface scratches like magic.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You have to install protective film cover or you can't win that fight. With my every new car it was the same story. Over time they got beaten up by rocks, stones, birds (killed 2 with Honda Accord mirrors), bugs, garbage or other objects flying to my car on the highway...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Get some Zaino and put it on now.

Never go to a car wash that touches your car - even a hand wash place. They grind grit and dirt into your paint.

Wash your car yourself - use a good quality mit and microfiber towels to dry it.

You'll still get some swirls/scratches. Following that will help a lot though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the great info guys. I have been washing the car by hand. Exactly what product from Zaino should I be looking at?

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (Psitech @ Apr 19 2010, 08:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314729
Thanks for all of the great info guys. I have been washing the car by hand. Exactly what product from Zaino should I be looking at?
Lots of coats of Z-5 Pro. Maybe some Z-CS afterwards for a deeper shine. Z6 to wipe clean, Z7 to wash.

You'll want a claybar too. He's got application info on the website.

The thing about Zaino is the more coats the better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts