Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, rather than reviving a year old thread or so I decided to create a new one. I'm looking to protect my car of rock chips/salt stones etc. To me the bug deflector takes away of the look from the car. The clear bra or venture shield seems to look a lot better but is very price anywhere from $200-$800 depending on the options covered..

Then I recently started searching for a hood and came upon this HOOD for 2013 Hyundai Elantra|66400-3Y000

So my question is, wouldn't it just be cheaper or "just as costly to replace the hood" than it would be to get that clear bra stuff? Just thinking of different options.

·
22,793 Posts
It's an acquired taste, about $37-40, and removable as desired. Does the trick on long trips or behind trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it's not too bad.. I still think it detracts a bit from the beauty of the car. Do you take it off during washing/waxings?

·
22,793 Posts
Helps balance/offset the wind deflector on the sunroof and blends with the window tint.

Re: removal, no-not yet. It's simple enough, however. Just mounts underneath the lip of the hood. Four plastic screws under the rubber lip gasket. None of the deflector touches the hood. It stands off from the hood about 1/2". I can get into the offset area and wash/wax, as needed. I've actually become quite fond of it and as I stated somewhere, it's an acquired taste.

Some members on here have painted their's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bri26,

I got the Venture shield about a month after I bought my Elantra in 2011. After 2 and half years I am very satisfied with the results even though it is fairly expensive. I got about 90% of the front hood, both side mirrors, door handles and truck edge done for $600. I would definitely recommend it if you are keeping your car for the long haul and can afford it. It still looks as good as the day I drove it off the dealers lot!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich- I'd be interested to know if you take it off sometime what it looks like underneath. I'm a little worried about stuff being collected underneath it. I'm starting to actually taking a liking to how it looks on the Elantra.

Pare_John- I'm definitely starting to like the look. Do you think it would look good with an Indigo Elantra?

Strick3963- I agree that the ventureshield would be the best option. No chance of getting things stuck in between the crevices "except if there are abrasions to the plastic. But I can't really afford the $600 for what you got it's actually more expensive here about $800. For that price it would be more economical to get a new hood, although that won't solve the bumper but it's just plastic anyways :p

·
22,793 Posts
It stays pretty clean underneath. You CAN get a small microfiber cloth down in there to clean the hood. I did mine last week and waxed down inside. Hand buffed the wax. Never had to remove it. I did drill three small holes on the bottom curvature of the deflector. One centered, the other two on each side about a foot off center. That allows any "standing water" to drain off. Holes aren't even noticeable.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Normally I don't care for clear bras or deflectors, but, I don't like paint chips! I got a few very small ones. If anything, I'd lean more to get the deflector but 6 minute chips in 3 yrs ain't that bad. I'll live. Just trying my best staying clear of construction trucks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It stays pretty clean underneath. You CAN get a small microfiber cloth down in there to clean the hood. I did mine last week and waxed down inside. Hand buffed the wax. Never had to remove it. I did drill three small holes on the bottom curvature of the deflector. One centered, the other two on each side about a foot off center. That allows any "standing water" to drain off. Holes aren't even noticeable.
Thats a good idea! I wonder if the OEM hyundai bug deflector would be the same. If I can clean underneath that and maybe make some holes for water drainage that's the one I'm going to get. I think it looks pretty darn good. I looked into the clear bra, ventureshield option.. It's just way to costly at this point. Although, I guess it would provide better protection ie. mirrors and bumper.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Normally I don't care for clear bras or deflectors, but, I don't like paint chips! I got a few very small ones. If anything, I'd lean more to get the deflector but 6 minute chips in 3 yrs ain't that bad. I'll live. Just trying my best staying clear of construction trucks.
You're lucky! I'm sure you don't get a lot of salt/snow in Hawaii though :p

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You're lucky! I'm sure you don't get a lot of salt/snow in Hawaii though :p
Yeah, well kind of, we are surrounded by an ocean, but no road salt. Only snow we really get is atop the Volcanos on the big island but none on my island, with exception of our shaved ice treats :cool: :laughing:

·
22,793 Posts
Thats a good idea! I wonder if the OEM hyundai bug deflector would be the same. If I can clean underneath that and maybe make some holes for water drainage that's the one I'm going to get. I think it looks pretty darn good. I looked into the clear bra, ventureshield option.. It's just way to costly at this point. Although, I guess it would provide better protection ie. mirrors and bumper.
Bri, haven't seen the Hyundai OEM bug deflector. Didn't know they made (or sub-contracted) one for the Elantra. If you have a picture of the Hyundai model, you can compare visual similarities and physical dimensions between it and the Auto Ventshade model.

I just updated my "garage" and forum album page with some revised/updated pics of Ingrid sporting her hood protector. Good luck on your decision of choice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your hood deflector looks nice on your car.. Then again your car is pretty **** awesome in itself lol. Here is the link for the hood deflector, you just need to click exterior parts Accessories | Elantra Sedan 2013: L, GL, GLS | Hyundai Auto Canada Someone on this forum actually has one but I forget who.

I guess it's only available to us Canadians?

The only thing that worries me is leaves, ice and salt getting stuck underneath it :/

·
22,793 Posts
Your hood deflector looks nice on your car.. Then again your car is pretty **** awesome in itself lol. Here is the link for the hood deflector, you just need to click exterior parts Accessories | Elantra Sedan 2013: L, GL, GLS | Hyundai Auto Canada Someone on this forum actually has one but I forget who.

I guess it's only available to us Canadians?

The only thing that worries me is leaves, ice and salt getting stuck underneath it :/
Bri, I've seen some small leaves get in there, but the wind, pretty much, blows them out. And snow hasn't been an issue...not down here. Salt? Fortunately, that's not a problem in Oklahoma. I can't imagine the salt being an issue, really. It's not going to be any worse up there on the hood (probably less) than it is on the fenders. If you wash the salt off the fenders/doors, shoot the top of the hood while you're at it. Might as well do the roof, too. ;)

I really think you're "over-thinking this." Not sure that made much sense. Just remember this: there are no exposes metal parts. This is plexiglass part. It sits under the hood, and the bottom of the hood is the only thing it rests upon.

And thanks for Ingrid's compliments. I promise you, she didn't get that way overnight. Lots of "thinking, overthinking, and time/money" to have her looking like this. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take your time modding. Enjoy the process. That leaves you with something to look forward to after the previous mod is completed. LOL

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bri, I've seen some small leaves get in there, but the wind, pretty much, blows them out. And snow hasn't been an issue...not down here. Salt? Fortunately, that's not a problem in Oklahoma. I can't imagine the salt being an issue, really. It's not going to be any worse up there on the hood (probably less) than it is on the fenders. If you wash the salt off the fenders/doors, shoot the top of the hood while you're at it. Might as well do the roof, too. ;)

I really think you're "over-thinking this." Not sure that made much sense. Just remember this: there are no exposes metal parts. This is plexiglass part. It sits under the hood, and the bottom of the hood is the only thing it rests upon.

And thanks for Ingrid's compliments. I promise you, she didn't get that way overnight. Lots of "thinking, overthinking, and time/money" to have her looking like this. Rome wasn't built in a day. Take your time modding. Enjoy the process. That leaves you with something to look forward to after the previous mod is completed. LOL
No problem Rich. You did a great job with Ingrid. Yea you're totally right, I'm over thinking it for sure. I just didn't want the hood to rust or anything from something getting caught between the hood deflector or what have you over the years. But I guess I could always take it off once a year and give it a good wash and wax underneath and put it back. I think on Friday I will be picking one up, provided someone has one in stock.

Thanks for everything Rich :)

·
22,793 Posts
I'd check Amazon. Not sure how bad they'd hammer you on customs/shipping fees, however.

If you DO go this route, I'd suggest you give the area above and underneath a good waxing prior to the install. That'll allieve your concerns quite a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts