Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi To you all,
I just wondered if any of you guys and girls could maybe give me some advice on what you use to clean your I10. I can understand the hoover inside but what do you use on the paintwork (dont want all the scratches you see on other cars) what wax do you use and what do you use to clean the alloy wheels?. Also what do you use to clean the dash etc?.

many thanks

:liebe011:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use nothing but AutoGlym. Wash the body with the shampoo and cond, then dry it with a shammy. then use the resin wax to give a nice shine. you can use clay in between the wash and wax to get all those lil bumps out. Then bumper care on the black plastic. For windows you can use the glass polish or fash shine. There you have it :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I now use Meguiars products :thumbsup:

I think it's more in how you clean your car, rather than the brand of products. Most of the stuff you can buy these days is not bad. A good quality wash mitt (I don't like sponges), shampoo, leather or preferably waffle-weave cloth, and some wax, 2 buckets and/or hosepipe and a few microbre cloths. The list can go on, but for starters this'll do you okay.

NEVER USE WASHING UP LIQUID!!! unless you want to strip every last bit of wax/polish that you put on your car.

Here's a very good link........... and well worth the read http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t45238-corre...-techniques.htm

There's also plenty of tutorials on youtube.

Post pics when you're done :whistling:

·
Registered
183 Posts
It depends what do you want to achieve. You want your car look great or to have durable protection. TBH I don't care that much about look and I am lazy so I go for Collinite waxes (845 or 476s)- pricey but last for ages. The problem I have with standard Meguiars stuff it doesn't last. Check forum http://www.detailingworld.com/

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just use Carplan Triplewax car shampoo, puts a nice coat of wax on the body between regular washes and seems to last as well judging by the rain which beads off. I use two sponges, one for the top half of car down to the rubbing strip on the door and another for the lower half/sills/wheels. I polish my car probably 3 times a year with Autoglym which is nice and easy to use. Try not to use the acidic alloy wheel cleaners as over time it will strip them of lacquer, if you clean the car every couple of weeks then you should be able to get the brake dust off during normal washing. For interior plastic I just use a multi surface cleaner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
IMHO shampoo and wax in one is bad idea as it simply seals contamination in to the paintwork. Wash-clay-maybe wash again-wax. I have also heard opinions that polishing new cars is bad idea as paint is still soft. You should not polish more often than 1-2 times a year as it simply removes the clear coat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (scm @ May 13 2010, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322480
IMHO shampoo and wax in one is bad idea as it simply seals contamination in to the paintwork. Wash-clay-maybe wash again-wax. I have also heard opinions that polishing new cars is bad idea as paint is still soft. You should not polish more often than 1-2 times a year as it simply removes the clear coat.
I'd have to disagree with you there, I have been using wash and wax products in all my 23 years of car ownership I have not come across the problem you describe and never heard of anyone else having problems either. I know clay bars are the big thing these days, which these companies would like us spending our hard earned on, but when I wash my car I want it done in 30 minutes, I don't want to be washing, claying and washing again. I still want a nice, very shiny clean car and the way I do mine has never let me down.

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (Northstar100 @ May 14 2010, 06:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322768
I'd have to disagree with you there, I have been using wash and wax products in all my 23 years of car ownership I have not come across the problem you describe and never heard of anyone else having problems either. I know clay bars are the big thing these days, which these companies would like us spending our hard earned on, but when I wash my car I want it done in 30 minutes, I don't want to be washing, claying and washing again. I still want a nice, very shiny clean car and the way I do mine has never let me down.
Agree, a good wash and wax product until the water stops beading then a full wax, then carry on as before. Also WD 40 to remove tar. Keep it simple and cheap.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If it suits you then OK. I wax my car once every 4-5 months. The other issue with wax wash I had was silicon reacting with black plastic and leave white residue. The black trim pieces looking tacky and really horrible then.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
many thanks for all the advice and my other 1/2 now thinks I am mad cleaning the car after 1 week lol. I used an all in 1 shampoo and wax then rinsed it and dried with a chammy. ( if the shampoo is good enough for his BMW then its just good enough for my I10. Gave the interior a quick vac (well the drivers side mainly) polished the windows and spent 20 mins cleaning the alloys and then making sure they were dry with the chammy. Gave the interior a wipe down to get rid of the dust etc. Will have to get something to clean the alloys as I got most off but there are still some little bits of brake dust on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (scm @ May 14 2010, 03:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322799
If it suits you then OK. I wax my car once every 4-5 months. The other issue with wax wash I had was silicon reacting with black plastic and leave white residue. The black trim pieces looking tacky and really horrible then.
That's exactly it......... :thumbsup: For some people it's just washing the car, for others it's nearly/is an obsession. I probably fit in the middle somewhere. I don't wash my car as often as I'd like to, so when I do I tend to spend ages doing it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I confirmed it yesterday that I am mad about the car. Was going to visit my in laws and let them see the new car. Washed and polished the car in the morning and when I got home at 8.15 in the evening the windscreen and front of the car was covered in bug splats, so had to wash and dry it again. Dont know what the neighbours think with me out under the flood light in the drive washing and polishing the car :banana: And yet again the all in shampoo and wax did the job a treat. Going to Half//rds on Sunday to get some stuffto clean and seal the alloys

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well tomorrow i get to wash my i10 for the first time in 2 months :( alloys are terrible at the minute (as is paintwork) glad I got the G3 glasscoat now lol

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (scm @ May 14 2010, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322799
That used to happen with wash and wax and may still with some brands, also wash and wax used to leave the screen greasy and produce a milky film when the wipers were first used (i think the instructions warned about this). I have not had these problems using modern products, the black stays black and the screen squeaky clean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts