Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Run down to Home Depot and spend about $2.50 on some BarKeepers' Friend in the liquid silver bottle. Betcha that gets it off! No scratching, either.

Water spots disappear, too. I didn't believe it, until I saw it for $2.38 + tax. Worked! Worked, really well! Made a believer outta me!
I'll try it but I don't think it will work.. I've literally tried everything I can think of even dish soap wiping with newspaper, paper towels, microfibre towel... I'll give it a try though.

·
22,793 Posts
I hope it does! If it doesn't, we have a line item under the column marked, "Not recommended for..."

·
22,793 Posts
Not sure about the "genius" part. But we are in our "right mind," as they say!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I also have this oily foggy film on my windshield and the rear window.. For the life of me I can't get it off.. I've tried claying the window, stoners invisible glass cleaner about 4 times.. cleaning the wipers, using a mix of vinegar and water.. nothing works.. I give up and will go to a hyundai dealer this weekend. MAYBE they can get it off :/
Bri, I've tried a variety of things too but found that rubbing alcohol worked best. You may have to do it a few times to get the layer of film off but that worked best for me.

I actually have to do mine again because it's streaky from last time. Time and laziness have been a factor in getting it accomplished :eek:

·
Banned
532 Posts
FWIW there was a TSB issued a while back on windshield & rear window smudges.

The smudges were traced back to lubrication fluid used in the compressed air system fouling the suction cup surface on robot arms used during glass placement. I forget the actual cleaning method but my guess would be a cleaner that cuts petroleum followed by a "regular" window cleaner a few times.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FWIW there was a TSB issued a while back on windshield & rear window smudges.

The smudges were traced back to lubrication fluid used in the compressed air system fouling the suction cup surface on robot arms used during glass placement. I forget the actual cleaning method but my guess would be a cleaner that cuts petroleum followed by a "regular" window cleaner a few times.
Really? Is there anywhere I can find that information so I can have it when I visit a Hyundai dealer in Canada? I'll upload a picture in a bit of what I'm talking about. There's also some condensation OR smudges just at the bottom of the back windshield around the brake light portion of the window.. It's not really an issue just an annoyance if anything.

·
22,793 Posts
There's also some condensation OR smudges just at the bottom of the back windshield around the brake light portion of the window.. It's not really an issue just an annoyance if anything.
Could it be from the tint guys soaking down the window back there when they applied the film? Just a thought...

·
Banned
532 Posts
So the TSB was way older than I thought, but I think it will help with what's been described so far, here it is:

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
So tried cleaning the windows with barkeepers friend and autoglym glass polish and this oily substance is STILL THERE! :O .. I think it may be something with the plastic leeching this oil? I give up that's all I know lol

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
What do you use to clean your windshield? There's a foggy film type thing on mine that's driving me nuts, and driving in the sun only blinds me even more.
Inside or outside ??

That foggy film often is INSIDE the glass on newer cars because of the oils in the plastic and vinyl parts of the interior evaporating and sticking to the glass.
Years ago, one website blew the lid off vehicle interior air pollution with extensive tests of many of the emissions from interior plastics & other surfaces. They were adamant that the auto industry or the EPA wasn't cleaning up interiors like they should. I think another website took over where they left off & is listed below:
HealthyStuff.org | Researching Toxic Chemicals in Everyday Products

Kia & Hyundai vehicles had bad interiors years ago, & now I see that their interior pollutions are still bad. Nissan Versa cars were the worst years ago, & I see they are still bad, today.

Further information from the website:
North America: While all North American manufacturers market vehicles globally, our data illustrates that US produced vehicles lag behind European and Asian produced vehicles in PVC and BFR use reduction. The US has the weakest chemical regulatory system for chemical in consumer products and provides the fewest incentives for companies to phase-out hazardous chemicals.
Note: HealthyStuff.org only tests for a limited set of chemical hazards. Vehicles may also contain other chemical hazards, including chlorinated flame retardants (CFR) which were NOT tested for in this study

·
22,793 Posts
Gassing has plagued this industry for years. Check out your home's interior. Not to mention the chemicals found in your cupboards and cabinets in the kitchen and baths. We use these toxic formulas all the time to polish, clean, wipe, etc. Endless.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts