Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to clean your windshield? There's a foggy film type thing on mine that's driving me nuts, and driving in the sun only blinds me even more.

I use Invisible Glass with a papertowel and then go over it again with a microfiber cloth to get rid of streaks.

:confused:

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
What do you use to clean your windshield?
Inside or outside ??

That foggy film often is INSIDE the glass on newer cars because of the oils in the plastic and vinyl parts of the interior evaporating and sticking to the glass.

Sometimes "normal" glass cleaning won't get it off.
Alas, I don't remember what the recommended fix is.
Hopefully a dealer of auto parts store would know.......or someone here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inside or outside ??

That foggy film often is INSIDE the glass on newer cars because of the oils in the plastic and vinyl parts of the interior evaporating and sticking to the glass.

Sometimes "normal" glass cleaning won't get it off.
Alas, I don't remember what the recommended fix is.
Hopefully a dealer of auto parts store would know.......or someone here.
It is inside the glass. Does the plastic/vinyl theory make sense if it's not on the side windows?

I don't care what it's from, I just want it GOOONNNNEEE!!!!!! :mad:

·
Read Only
538 Posts
Whatever cleaning solvent you prefer and then clean/dry it off with regular newspaper. It doesn't mention if you have window tint, but some of those materials do not allow you to use certain solvents.

Please let me know, as I have been using newspaper for years and swear by it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever cleaning solvent you prefer and then clean/dry it off with regular newspaper. It doesn't mention if you have window tint, but some of those materials do not allow you to use certain solvents.

Please let me know, as I have been using newspaper for years and swear by it.

Thanks Michael. I'll give that a shot. I've tried newpaper in the past with no luck but I'm willing to try again :)

·
Read Only
538 Posts
A relative of mine had a window cleaning service and he was cheaper than I. He used chamois dipped in water with a little ammonia then dried the cleaned window with a towel.

You may try scraping it with a razor blade, as a last resort. Try it in an inconspicuous area of the windscreen first.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I use SPRAYAWAY Glass Cleaner fromWALMAR and newspaper on the inside of my windshields. On the tinted side windows, I use it with terrycloth or microfiber.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
It is inside the glass. Does the plastic/vinyl theory make sense if it's not on the side windows?
Yes maybe. It probably is on the sides too but you just don't notice it because of the angle.
And the windshield is real close to that big dashboard hunk of vinyl that gets REAL hot.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Had the same problem with my Elantra and I finally did this. I also use Stoner's Invisible Glass cleaner with a micro fiber cloth and the glass looked terrible. I went back in time to a method I used 30 years ago. I used steel wool (0000) grade on the windshield, inside and out, then used the Invisible glass cleaner and a COTTON cloth, problem solved!!

Rub the steel wool (0000) grade lightly over the glass (don't hit the paint on the car) and don't use steel wool on the inside of the back window where the defroster wires are, or if you have after market tint on any of your windows!!!

One trick to use when clean both sides of a window is use verticle strokes on one side and horizonal strokes on the other side. If you have any film left on the glass you can tell which side of the glass isn't clean enough by the direction of the strokes left on the glass.

Just make sure you use a steel wool that has a grade of (0000), other grades will scratch the glass. Be careful using a razor blade as they sometimes will scratch the glass. I also believe that the newspaper ink/paper have changed over the years and doesn't give the same results as in the past.

Do a Youtube search about using steel wool and you will see how it's done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our local $ stores sell a microfibre pad on a longish handle. It's hinged where the pad and handle meet. It works well and is easy to do the whole windscreen without much effort. They cost $2 here in Toronto.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Our local $ stores sell a microfibre pad on a longish handle. It's hinged where the pad and handle meet. It works well and is easy to do the whole windscreen without much effort. They cost $2 here in Toronto.
That's a deal!! I paid 10 bucks for what sounds like the same thing! It really does make a big difference on your back when cleaning the inside of the windshield or the back glass!

·
22,793 Posts
That's a deal!! I paid 10 bucks for what sounds like the same thing! It really does make a big difference on your back when cleaning the inside of the windshield or the back glass!
Discovered this little fella some time back but didnt act on it until about a week ago. Had seen Stoner's entry. About $10, or so. Dropped by a local Dollar Tree store looking for some small solar yard lights ($1). Just happened to see one of these items you described hanging up. A buck! Granted, not as big and probably not as sturdy as the top name brand, but adequate. Decided to give it a whirl.

Went home, sprayed some Invisible Glass on the microfiber pad and started wiping. Several minutes later, the inside of the windshield was "crystal clear."

And if it eventually breaks? Well, I'll just have to come up with another dollar! :)

Phooey, I didn't want to spend $80k on a Mercedes so I bought an Elantra for about 60% less. And guess how well that's working out for me!

·
22,793 Posts
Me too.
But that new Jag sure does look cool. ;)
:beer: I'll toast to that! If you buy me one, and clean the windshield, by golly I'll sure drive it!

But if you buy me a Tessla, I won't have to read the MPG thread, anymore! :thumbsup: I'll even meet you half-way and clean the glass!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I also use that pad/handle device with the Invisible Glass. I do it as a routine so it always stays crystal clear. If it's one thing I hate is dirty glass.

Occasionally I use the claybar for all the glass surfaces including the inside of the windshield.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I also use that pad/handle device with the Invisible Glass. I do it as a routine so it always stays crystal clear. If it's one thing I hate is dirty glass.

Occasionally I use the claybar for all the glass surfaces including the inside of the windshield.
Clay bar on the outside of the windshield works wonders- Only used it once after I washed the car, but I was so impressed by how really invisible the glass seemed after that. Helps the wipers work better, too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts