Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tip to try if your windscreen washers stop working, but you can hear the pump run.

The windscreen washers on my 2002 Elantra hatch stopped spraying (front and back), although I could hear the pump running. Hoses weren't blocked as I could blow back through them and bubbles came out through the reservoir.

I pulled off three screws (2 plastic plug type on the bottom and a 10 mm hex head in the wheel arch) to pull back the plastic guard at the front of the RHS wheel arch and access the washer pump. Not necessary to remove the wheel, but makes it easier if you turn it to full right lock. The plastic is flexible so is easy to hold back out of the way.

The washer pump is a push fit into the side of the reservoir, I pulled it out (being careful not to dislodge the rubber washer/seal. The pump has a filter in the entry nozzle that plugs into the reservoir - this was blocked with gummed up detergent - easy to pick out. Then put back in reverse order!

Do not need to unplug wiring or hoses.

Easy job and much cheaper than paying someone to replace the pump. Only problem was a faceful of detergent!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
My 1997 Wlantra had the pump go and it too was an easy fix. Did not even have to pull the tank to replace the pump. Just have something ready to catch the rest of fluid in the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
The windscreen water reservoir was blocked in my 2010 Santa Fe, with no water coming out of the front or rear windscreen. I located the connecting feeder hose running along the bottom of the windscreen under the bonnet, on the right hand side and pulled the hose apart at the join. Then took my bike pump and fitted it to the joiner/connector. I held the two together, then pumped very hard to get high air pressure back through the pump. I’d filled my reservoir with very hot water from the tap to help loosen the buildup of washer fluid (BarsBugs). The back flow of water pushed everything out of the filter and pump, and into the water reservoir and then out the top where the water goes in. I did this at least a dozen times. Topping up the water tank with hot water each time. Blobs of washer soap and blackish scum floated up to the surface and was pushed out by the back pressure. I
reconnected the feeder hose, filled up the tank and we were good to go.
Note: a lot came out of the reservoir so be patient and more gunk will float up, especially after each time I had blasted air through the pump
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top