Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are a lot of smart, clever, folks out there that are loaded with ideas, suggestions, and experience, on the best way to clean the dash; getting into the many crevices; and the touch screen surface. (which I`m told is easily damaged)...

Please share your knowledge and experience with all of us. :) :)

·
Banned
730 Posts
For all interior surfaces I use a microfiber towel. You can buy them at Walmart for cheap Microtex Microfiber Cleaning Towels, 15pk: Automotive : Walmart.com
or you can buy super high quality ones from online car care (detail) shops. Some of them run as high as $20 or more each. I use the Walmart ones becasue when they get dirty they are cheap enough to through out.

Never used the interior Turtle Wax detailer that John mentioned but their ICE exterior sealeant is awesome so I imagine the product John mentioned is good. I use 303 Aerospace Protectanct 303® Aerospace Protectant 8oz.. Does not give a shiny finish and it does come in a 16oz size too I think. I spray it on the towel and THEN wipe it on the dash.

For the screen I again would use microfiber and Sprayway glass cleaner. Best glass cleaner out there IMHO.. Sprayway, Inc. - Products
I see they have some other cool products that I did not even know about until I just went to their site.

One last bit of advice... Do not use ArmorAll. That stuff is crap.

Also, if you want to kill some time and learn about car care you could visit http://www.autopia.org/forum/forum.php I know it is basically a commercial site promoting their 3D products (I have some and they are good) but the forums hold some interesting information about car care.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Depends on how "dirty" your interior gets but mine is mostly and issue of dust and lint.

Generally, use a microfiber cloth to give a quick dusting. If there is dirt in around the footwell, then simply a clean damp cloth first, then follow up with 303 Aerospace Protectant. The 303 gives a nice sheen, but not shiny. Also, it facilitates future cleaning as well.

Windows: 70/30 vinegar to water mix. Cheap, environmentally friendly, and no streaks and films. If you have after market tint, clean damp cloth first, then dry with clean soft cloth...no chemicals.

Touch screen: generally a water dampened soft cloth (microfiber ideally) is more than sufficient to clean the surface. Keep any chemicals away from it.

I'm always amazed how a water dampened cloth and one lint-free dry one will work quite well for most applications.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I use pledge on the plastics with a microfiber towel, and pc screen wipes for the radio screen since those surfaces scratch easy. The pledge has wax in it that protects, but doesn't leave things sticky and greasey like automotive products do, it does not create glare, smells good too.

·
Banned
730 Posts
I use pledge on the plastics with a microfiber towel, and pc screen wipes for the radio screen since those surfaces scratch easy. The pledge has wax in it that protects, but doesn't leave things sticky and greasey like automotive products do, it does not create glare, smells good too.
Doesn't Pledge have silicone in it?

As a serious hobbyist woodworker I dont allow pledge in my house because of the silicone in it. Maybe it would be ok for interior of a car..... I dont know.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lexol Leather Cleaner is indeed the best for anything leather. Actually, i would use it on all the car surfaces as it doesn't make everything extremely shiny. I do not like my dash to be shiny at all, so now I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Cleans, doesn't make the surfaces all glassy, and I can just dust the inside with microfiber for many weeks before I need it again.

D

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alot of good info coming in...Good to see...

Still looking for any little 'tricks to the trade' on removing the dust and/or lint from the many little crevices...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Alot of good info coming in...Good to see...

Still looking for any little 'tricks to the trade' on removing the dust and/or lint from the many little crevices...
Best thing I have found is a nice soft round brush attachment on the end of a vacuum so dust doesn't just get kicked around, but also sucked up by the vacuum. Alternatively, you can use an small paint brush, with soft bristles, especially in areas where you can't get to....like at the windshield.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best thing I have found is a nice soft round brush attachment on the end of a vacuum so dust doesn't just get kicked around, but also sucked up by the vacuum. Alternatively, you can use an small paint brush, with soft bristles, especially in areas where you can't get to....like at the windshield.
I like the paint brush idea...Why didn`t I think of that?...Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Meguiar's Protectant Natural Shine : Amazon.com : Automotive

Maguiars natural shine is the best thing I have ever found for the interior of my car....it protects from scratches on those matte finished surfaces that are on the santa fe AND IT IS NOT GREASY! Just looks natural, Like when you first got your santa fe, not greasy and doesnt come off on hand when you or your clothing touch it...and I have noticed it helps repel dust...

I spray it on a micro fiber cloth...and to get those pesky small crevasses I use a Q tip....but remember, you want to get a thin layer on the surface and work it in with just a little elbow grease for a Longer protection.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a kindly member recommend the use of mothers ( the product..not the parent..lol) Does anyone have any experience with it?? and for all the other cleaner names..are they special order or can I pick them up from my local walmart?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just keep a Swiffer in the car for light dusting, no greasy product ever used as it adss to the problem of lint and dust.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Depends on how "dirty" your interior gets but mine is mostly and issue of dust and lint.

Generally, use a microfiber cloth to give a quick dusting. If there is dirt in around the footwell, then simply a clean damp cloth first, then follow up with 303 Aerospace Protectant. The 303 gives a nice sheen, but not shiny. Also, it facilitates future cleaning as well.

Windows: 70/30 vinegar to water mix. Cheap, environmentally friendly, and no streaks and films. If you have after market tint, clean damp cloth first, then dry with clean soft cloth...no chemicals.

Touch screen: generally a water dampened soft cloth (microfiber ideally) is more than sufficient to clean the surface. Keep any chemicals away from it.

I'm always amazed how a water dampened cloth and one lint-free dry one will work quite well for most applications.
Agreed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lexol protectant wipes for everything but the leather, and Lexol leather wipes for the leather. I am not one to spend hours detailing my cars myself, so I like the convenience of the wipes, and they do a good job.

·
Registered
246 Posts
use a can of compressed air for like a keyboard and blow the hard to get out dust and dirt . unless you have an air compressor than just use the air with a nozzle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts