Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is one of those viciously debated car topics, so lets get to it. Civility is optional.

I find that auto care companies are one of the worst offenders when it comes to false information to the public. Not that I am a professional detailer or anything, but i cleaned enough of my cars and used enough of these products to get a basic understanding of what these things do. It can get very complicated, especialyl when you have someone like "Chemical Guys" selling 6 different types of car wash soaps for some reason.

Keep in mind I am in a NYC apartment, so i do not have the luxury of a driveway and a hose. So far I use Meguire's wash and wax, one bucket with grit guard. I go to the self serve washes with pressure washers and bring my own supplies. I have two mits, lambswool(synthetic) and microfiber for the wheels and bottom trim. I take off 90% of the dirt with the water pressure, lightly apply the mit and glaze it over the car.

Every 4 to 5 months I apply a sealant. I used to be a wax guy, but the sealant has opened my eyes to a whole new world of durance. I may clay the car this month, it's been 2 years since my purchase, and then reapply sealant. I've developed quite the build up(which is good) of protection, but it's time to clean the slate. Especially after a couple of winters.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,038 Posts
Im pretty basic in my maintenance of the 3 vehicles that are on the road weekly, wife's H2, my Sonata and my Road Glide.

They get washed weekly, Meguiars products, soap, black paste wax,ultimate polish, scratch 2.0, ultimate quick detailer and quick wax. Weekly using 2 buckets (soap and rinse) the car gets washed and windows done and vacuum. During the middle of the week Ill usually do one quick wipe down using Quick Detailer and Quick Wax and the windows. ( waterless and takes 15-20 min) .

Every 2-3 months Ill clay bar (I changed from real clay to a Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 much faster and seems to give me the same results and is supposed to last 50 x) , polish and paste wax.

I use a Metro Air Force Blaster air blower and micro fiber or a terry cloth to dry

Interior I use the Quick Interior Detailer

I live in the high desert of Ca so sun fading or interior fade or cracking are our problems, nothing like you guys that have 4 seasons to deal with/

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used that for my interior as well. That Interior detailer is really good. When I first used it I was like "It smells like Fruit Loops!" but it gives the closet sheen on the dash to that of when the car was new. Not too flat, not too shiny.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I do miss having a driveway and a hose to clean my car but anyways I will add this to anyone who uses self serve car washes> Remember always take the pressure spray won and spray the brush at the self serve if your going to use the self serve brush to clean your car.

Most of my cleaning supplies come from the dollar tree store or Walmart. I seem to use turtle wax cleaning supplies the most , not because I favor it but because I think its the best deal. I would never buy those chimerical guys cleaning supplies, their way over priced but one thing I do like is that bucket with the bottom piece that traps dirt but I don't know what it is called, anyways I did buy that because it makes sense to me and the self serve car wash I go to also has the same thing in the tray bucket their brushes set in.

I also buy cleaning wipes for the dash and glass from the dollar tree store as well as terry fiber clothes to dry my car. I buy 10 packs each month and keep them in a trey in my trunk. I do need to wax my car but not having a driveway makes that hard. I guess I could take it to a park and wax it after cleaning it good at a self serve car wash.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Remember always take the pressure spray won and spray the brush at the self serve if your going to use the self serve brush to clean your car. "

-better yet DO NOT use those brushes lol. I know it's easy, but it defeats the purpose of not going to an automatic car wash. I guess it's because I've seen what people use those brushes and I sit in my car grimacing.

the thing on the bottom of the bucket is called a "grit guard" and they really work. It's important to try to separate the gimmicks from the working products. Why do all the companies push for a two bucket system instead of just having multiple mits? Because a bucket costs like 15 bucks from them + the grit guard + the roller to put the bucket on. Not that it doesn't make sense, but these guys are in a situation where they are making a product to maintain your car at peak condition, whiel at the same time trying to sell more products.

·
Registered
334 Posts
"Remember always take the pressure spray won and spray the brush at the self serve if your going to use the self serve brush to clean your car. "

-better yet DO NOT use those brushes lol. I know it's easy, but it defeats the purpose of not going to an automatic car wash. I guess it's because I've seen what people use those brushes and I sit in my car grimacing.

Yea it's not easy, sometimes the luxury to use your own bucket and wash Mitt at a self serve car wash is just not there. At some of the self serve car washes I have been to have signs saying no buckets allowed and on a busy weekend at some of those places, you have a line of cars waiting. I do agree though it is better to use your own mitt and bucket if you can

thanks, I could not remember for the life of me that it is called a grit guard.

·
Registered
334 Posts
these guys are in a situation where they are making a product to maintain your car at peak condition, whiel at the same time trying to sell more products.[/QUOTE]

Honestly if I was wealthy and had money to throw away, I might use their products. Yes everybody is looking for a way to make money.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Look into Optimum No Rinse cleaning. I'm about to start doing it. Basically bought one of those bulk packs of MF towels from Costco, got the ONR, 2 buckets (one with water+ONR, the other the "waste" bucket), and if you want to be extra, buy some nicer MF towels. I got mine from the Rag Company. Pre-wash with a diluted ONR bottle on one panel. Dip one Costco towel into the ONR bucket and wipe down the panel. Dry off/buff with the nicer MF towel. Move onto next panel. Can be done without a hose/etc. Look up ONR Garry Dean Method. I basically got that method and modified it to be simpler for me.

I did have my Sonata ceramic coated a few months back, so it makes cleaning a little easier. I do plan to clay bar every 6 months or so if I have time. Once a month I treat the ceramic coating with Carpro Reload and I might be adding Carpro IronX to the mix soon, as well.

TLDR; Every other week or so, I do ONR rinseless wash. At least once a month, I try to supplement with Carpro Reload. About every 6 months is clay bar. When I get IronX, I'll probably do that when I do the Reload too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I'd like to add that one size fits all does not apply to how you clean and maintain your car. I know some people who are adamant on one way to do things, or an exact schedule as to when to do this or that. Like an oil change, it all depends on how and where you drive.

A car thats garaged 70% of the time needs different care than a car out in the street 24/7. People in Arizona have different battles than people in Michigan. UV vs Salt or maybe you live in a tropical climate with alot of rain meaning you'd have to reapply wax more often. So the best thing is to learn what products do and use accordingly

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The gas station has a car wash. I fill my car up and get a discounted car wash, usually every couple weeks. I pay a couple bucks extra for the undercarriage rinse and wax/protectant/rainx.... I use different gas stations so go thru different car washes. Once a year my fleet gets detailed to remove the pets, kids, neighbors, and work smells/stains/garbage. This makes up for anything I miss over the year.

I vacuum as needed. Usually free after the car wash, or at the quicklube which has a complimentary public vacuum. I hate all weather mats and have the OE carpeted mats in all the vehicles in the drive. The 8 and 15 year old vehicle just received new OE carpeted mats off of ebay. And, my '11 Sonata might need them if she keeps taxiing the delinquent 3 nephews around.

A couple times a year,i Idrown the interior/exterior with Aerospace 303. I don't care for products that leave everything overly sticky/slippery/shiney. And, it works great on all door/trunk weatherseal too.

Since my cars are white/silver.... I don't need any of the overhyped overpushed internet geewhiz super duper waxes. I can get a good shine once or twice a year using the cheapest carnuaba or synthetic polymer wax. Plenty of good choices for <$10 at walfart. Meguiars, Mothers, TurtleWax.... have never wronged me, and walfart has a good selection of quick sprays, ol' school pastes, and wax squirt bottles.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-automotive-protectant/
Mothers® California Gold® Products
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/
https://www.turtlewax.com/surface/exterior
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/auto-care-us/ I find that 3m has superb products in all categories. Too bad none of the stores carries them locally.

Lots of overpriced get rich schemes out there in the forums. Use this or that.... blah blah blah

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeed, and most being don't realize a wax isn't there to shine your car but to protect the shine and paint from the elements. It's important to know the difference between Compounding/Polishing, Glazing, and Waxing/ Sealing.

If you're breaking a sweat removing the wax from your car then you're putting too much effort into it. Light haze and wipe off so you get a nice layer. It will bring out the shine already from your paint

·
Registered
59 Posts
The conveyor style automatic car wash I go to has a plan for $30/mth for 5 washes (shareable) that we use between 2 cars.

wash
Armor All Extreme Shine Wax with Carnuba
WipeOut Super Conditioner
Rain-X Complete Surface Protectant
Armor All Tire Shine
Blue Corral Triple Foam
Wheel Cleaner
4 Day Rain Guarantee

free
Vacuums
Morning Coffee
Morning Newspaper
Trash Bag
Lollipops for Kids
Air Freshener
Towel (cheap linty wet wipe)

After that I touch up with a damp MF. Periodically I use Invisible Glass on the interior side of the glass.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I pretty much elusively use the products from this place called Mark V.
Mark V Online ::: Professional Detailing Products
Their products are aimed at the professional detailer or car wash place so their products work well without too much time invested in each process.
I not only use their stuff on my Sonata but I also use their paste wax, paint polishes and leather products on my antique cars as well.
One of their best products is called Krystal Kut. It is designed to be used with a powered polisher but it works great by hand as well.
It is mainly to help remove imperfections in the paint but I use it on all my plastic headlight lenses as well to remove the yellow haze and polish the lens.

But the routine is wash suing 2 mitts in a bucket with a grit guard, dry using a water blade then microfiber and real goat hide chamois, then I use a compressor to blow all the water out of all the cracks and along the window seals.
Wheels get done after the main part of the car is washed and dried.
I wax at least once a month and clay bar when the surface feels like it needs it.
Try to use spray detailer after every wash that I don't wax.
Interior get hit with the shop vac, wiped down and then interior dressing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts