Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this come up? Where is this sensor located? Seems in driving snow the sensor gets covered.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Happened to me once. I thought the radar was at the top of the windshield. IDK.... After being parked in my warm garage for a few minutes the error light went away. Strange thing though when it happens.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
be ready constantly clean that low part of the bumper from snow/dirty etc....Hate it!!!! Hyundai must think well before offering and doing it in such stupid way

·
Registered
41 Posts
ohh thanks for this! its 1/07/2017 now and I just got my Tucson (2017 Ultimate Limited). It snowed like crazy today and i got the warning to "clean front radar" on my dash. Got out before to clean the front windshield (which i thought it was located) but the warning stayed on.

Now I understand that the sensor at the top of the windshield is mainly for IN-lane correction (as it was working on and off during the snow depending how covered the roads were), and the radar is located in the front pumper area, which is just.. COMPLETELY covered w/ snow and slush and salt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
beat me to it, I was going to post about this a couple months ago. Both times I drove in the snow this happened to me on the freeway, build up and then the clean front radar light came on. This is rather LAME as there are a lot of us who have to drive in the snow, even in minimal slushy snow falling this has happened to me. You'd think they would have put it in a place that would account for this or put it with that box on the windshield where show won't build up like it does on the front bumper!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Happened to me once. Normal snow seems ok, but when it is wet snow, it will stays on badly, then it will ask to be cleaned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front radar and AEB

I have a 2016 Tucson Limited with all the goodies. This happens frequently for no apparent reason. No snow, no rain, and the car is NOT dirty. Also, the AEB (w/pedestrian detection) does not seem to function. I've had the vehicle checked and all Hyundai will say is "functioning as intended" followed by a whole bunch of disclaimers. I think the entire setup is dysfunctional and I think they know it - hence the disclaimers. I've filed complaints with both the BBB and the NHTSA. If anyone else is experiencing issues, you might want to consider doing the same.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Warning only came on once when I drove through a standing puddle of water on the freeway, (not much white stuff here). Wouldn't you think this system would require service after awhile with all the months/years of dirt buildup? Sensor location very susceptible to dirt but not easy to get to for a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Happed to me this morning, I think for the first time. Of all the alerts and beeps and warnings and icons, I don't believe any for cleaning the front radar has come up. It went away and then it popped up again a few miles later.

And when I parked at work, I could see why. I've never had so much slush attached to the front of my Tucson before. I used the snow brush to clear the bumper, but the warning stayed on. I didn't want to be any later getting to the office, so I'm hoping the sun will melt what's on there and I won't hear and see much when I start her up this evening.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I am considering to add later this year a washer system to that plastic part, so it will work along with the headlight washers when I need it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all- we were in the States heading to Myrtle Beach before the pandemic hit when we could not avoid a transport's shredded tire in our way. The rubber hit the lower front of the bumper and we began getting the 'Clean front radar' message. Upon inspection- no damage, no debris.... yet even after 3 weeks of being home and being able to go out of the house- when I went to get groceries, the warning came on the dash. So, my question is- what EXACTLY am I looking for? I see the plastic portion of grill that is flat and different from the other side and there is a small hole in it. I also see above the license plate a wire with what looks like a module of some sort- but it doesn't look damaged or broken. I have cleaned the plastic portion and the small circle which I also think may be a sensor. No luck! Anyone out there know enough to assist me?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all- we were in the States heading to Myrtle Beach before the pandemic hit when we could not avoid a transport's shredded tire in our way. The rubber hit the lower front of the bumper and we began getting the 'Clean front radar' message. Upon inspection- no damage, no debris.... yet even after 3 weeks of being home and being able to go out of the house- when I went to get groceries, the warning came on the dash. So, my question is- what EXACTLY am I looking for? I see the plastic portion of grill that is flat and different from the other side and there is a small hole in it. I also see above the license plate a wire with what looks like a module of some sort- but it doesn't look damaged or broken. I have cleaned the plastic portion and the small circle which I also think may be a sensor. No luck! Anyone out there know enough to assist me?

Thanks
Trenton, I had this happen to my Tucson a few years back. The radar is behind a flat black panel on the lower left (looking at the front of the vehicle from outside) of the bumper, maybe 5"x8" in size. In my case, the radar module had been knocked off some kind of push-on/snap-on connector and was facing slightly downwards. I snapped it back onto the connector and it was fine since. To get access to this, I had to remove the entire front bumper, which isn't too terribly difficult to do. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trenton, I had this happen to my Tucson a few years back. The radar is behind a flat black panel on the lower left (looking at the front of the vehicle from outside) of the bumper, maybe 5"x8" in size. In my case, the radar module had been knocked off some kind of push-on/snap-on connector and was facing slightly downwards. I snapped it back onto the connector and it was fine since. To get access to this, I had to remove the entire front bumper, which isn't too terribly difficult to do. I hope this helps.

Hello. I have a 2016 Tucson limited and I hit a piece of tire on the highway. Sounds like a similar problem that y ou had. I now get Clean Front Radar all the time. I have an appointment with Huyndai on Monday so they can take a look. I hope that my case is as simple as yours because this part is $1893! Any suggestions before I go to that appointment? Can I try cleaning it with the bumper on? Thanks for your help. Like this forrum

·
Registered
3 Posts

So the update is this... took the car to the Hyundai dealer for regular maintenance and had them look more closely into this 'Clean Front Radar' . They did all the diagnostics and found no issue- aside from the fact I tell them it comes on intermittently .. and for no reason. They said they did something and hoped it would work- it did not. They said if it still does it, they would have to take the bumper off and then take a closer look. If they determine it is the actual sensor it would need to be replaced at $1500-$2000! So, I took it to an independent garage (friend) and their people could not access whatever the issue is with the sensor.

So here I sit..... the local Hyundai dealer said it might be even worth it to take it to a body shop and run it through insurance- which I think sounds like code for scamming insurance companies! When Mallison10 says taking the bumper off is not difficult- for someone who has little to no experience with these things?

I honestly think it is a very small fix, but the Hyundai's designers really have to think more about where they put this if it needs accessing. I will figure something out, but it sounds like I am going to have to take it back to Hyundai locally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So the update is this... took the car to the Hyundai dealer for regular maintenance and had them look more closely into this 'Clean Front Radar' . They did all the diagnostics and found no issue- aside from the fact I tell them it comes on intermittently .. and for no reason. They said they did something and hoped it would work- it did not. They said if it still does it, they would have to take the bumper off and then take a closer look. If they determine it is the actual sensor it would need to be replaced at $1500-$2000! So, I took it to an independent garage (friend) and their people could not access whatever the issue is with the sensor.

So here I sit..... the local Hyundai dealer said it might be even worth it to take it to a body shop and run it through insurance- which I think sounds like code for scamming insurance companies! When Mallison10 says taking the bumper off is not difficult- for someone who has little to no experience with these things?

I honestly think it is a very small fix, but the Hyundai's designers really have to think more about where they put this if it needs accessing. I will figure something out, but it sounds like I am going to have to take it back to Hyundai locally.
**** man sorry to hear you're going through that

truth be told i've had this issue going on for about 1-2 years now and get the same response every time i mention it during maintenance time

they say they 'tried some things' but it always comes back on

the common denominator here is that we've all either hit something directly on the front bumper portion of the vehicle or have had accumulation of dirt or substance in that same area so it's either something with the lens on the device or the connection of the device being messed with after impact and not being right ever since

it only happens about once a month at this point so i haven't bothered digging into it further but this is currently my #1 dilemma with my Tucson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Man! I am pleased to report that following the last visit to a Hyundai dealer in Belleville, Ontario, I contacted the dealer in Port Hope, Ontario- Lauria Hyundai. Made an app't and in just under an hour- they fixed it!! They listened to me explain what I said happened, what I thought it might be in terms of a fix. All they did was put it up on the hoist and take the skirting off from under the bumper. They saw exactly what I meant and they just popped the sensor back in, redid the skirt and done! Service manager came to explain what they did and finished with- " we aren't going to even charge you it was that simple, just become a regular customer for service"! Duh... that will be easy!! With integrity, and with expertise like that, I am going back when needed AND am going to recommend to anyone who will listen!! Awesome job Lauria Hyundai! Oh ya, BTW- 5 days later and no warning goes off, so they fixed it real good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts