Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I just noticed two different circle cut-outs on my new Tucson. One is located on the front passenger's-side bumper and the other is located on the rear passenger-side bumper. The circle is about 2-3 inches in diameter and looks like it could be pushed in to remove it to make a perfectly round hole in both areas. Any idea what that is?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
this is the points where you can screw in your towing eye (should be in your tool kit) just remove the blanking cut outs from the bmper if youu need to be towed or you are towing another vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Montego @ Jun 9 2010, 08:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331187
this is the points where you can screw in your towing eye (should be in your tool kit) just remove the blanking cut outs from the bmper if youu need to be towed or you are towing another vehicle
But if I punch out and remove those circles there will be a hole in the bumper. I don't think I want that. Are you saying there is something I need to mount in those holes. Not sure if I even have a tool kit?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ Jun 9 2010, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331232
But if I punch out and remove those circles there will be a hole in the bumper. I don't think I want that. Are you saying there is something I need to mount in those holes. Not sure if I even have a tool kit?
They are designed to be removed and reinstalled after your done with the tow hooks. There is no punching out, they are removable caps. And yes the hooks should be in the pouch near the spare tire which is on the right side of your spare tire. You would only need to use these hook if your vehicle is being towed or you are pulling another vehicle.

·
1,914 Posts
Frank,

they are also used to secure the car when being transported. Most Hyundai's have them in the front and back bumper. My Santa Fe has it in the rear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jun 9 2010, 04:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331418
Frank,

they are also used to secure the car when being transported. Most Hyundai's have them in the front and back bumper. My Santa Fe has it in the rear.
I'll check them out again, but my first look at them led me to believe that they are "punch-outs" and once removed, would leave a hole in the bumper areas. In fact, the circle in the front looks like its already a little bit "punched out". If they are removeable, how do I get them out?

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you look carefully you'll see a little slot in one area of the round cover. You need to use a small pry tool (like a small flat blade screwdriver) to pop it loose.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Just make sure that if you're using a flathead screwdriver, wrap the tip with electrical tape to avoid marring the paint.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
More like a threaded hole. As mentioned earlier, in your toolkit, you'll find a a towing eye. Just insert the threaded end into the hole and start turning clockwise. When you're all done, turn the other way and remove the towing eye. Then just pop the cover back on - it will click into place.

QUOTE (Frank1203 @ Jun 9 2010, 08:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331504
Ok, but when I pop it loose, what will I find under that cover? A hole in te bumper?

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Todd Nicholson @ Jun 10 2010, 11:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331655
Maybe you should also consider looking in your Owners Manual. This information is all in there :thumbsup:
Or, just search this forum. We had this discussion two months ago! :)

Reactions: stevez2436

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,812 Posts
Why are they only on one side?
Simply because there is no good reason to have one on each side.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have it in the middle?
No. That is the weakest part of the structure. So not where you'd want a towing eye.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 17 of 17 Posts