Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do something with the chrome trim on my 13 sonata. What is the easiest way to change it? should i take it off and if so how do i do it? or can i just wrap it in carbon fiber or flat black vinyl while its still installed

·
Registered
480 Posts
PLASTI-DIP, nuf said. Did my rear emblem, trunk chrome strip, did my roof. The roof needs a little touch up. Best part of it, if done correctly it hold up for months! And peals right off when you wanna take it off. I may do my grill soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i like it thats what i a, trying to do. How did you plastidip them though? take the trim off or spray it in place?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah i like it thats what i a, trying to do. How did you plastidip them though? take the trim off or spray it in place?
No need to take it off, I wish I saved the pics of when I taped everything off, did it same day as when I did my roof.... For the H logo, I made a nice square with the tape leaving probably 2-3 inches of the paint around the H. Then I sprayed the 1st light dusting, then 2nd a little heavier to cover it, then 3rd coat did on like a 45° angle one way, the 4th coat another 45° angle going the opposite way, your trying to cover the entire emblem and get good coverage in the crevices. The did a last and final coat to go over it once more. Oh yeah once that last coat was sprayed on I sprayed the plastidip glossifer on, for alittle gloss. Same process with the chrome strip, just had to do more taping off, as for a bigger surface, because the dip spray goes everywhere, over spray on the paint just use a microfiber towel after everything is peeled off, works fine...
Oh yeah, as for removing the dip from inside the H logo it used a wooden toothpick make a small hole and start to peel back and if done properly the dip will make a perfect edge around the logo... GOOD LUCK

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bro i just taped all of my trim off and sprayed it took a few times and some rework lol but i got it... All i have left is the back piece i thought i could get in and take it off but thats not happening easily so i am just going to tape it off and spray it like i did the other pieces tomorrow when i have daylight.. it looks sick though bro the flat black trim is awesome.. when you wash it do you go through a machine or wash by hand? i am just curious if its going to peel off the chrome when i wash it

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks bro i just taped all of my trim off and sprayed it took a few times and some rework lol but i got it... All i have left is the back piece i thought i could get in and take it off but thats not happening easily so i am just going to tape it off and spray it like i did the other pieces tomorrow when i have daylight.. it looks sick though bro the flat black trim is awesome.. when you wash it do you go through a machine or wash by hand? i am just curious if its going to peel off the chrome when i wash it
I haven't washed it yet, I've been hand washing my car a lot recently. Yeah I like the flat black or gloss black against lighter color cars, ( I have a silver car) hbu

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok i may have to start washing it by hand then.. i have the harbor grey one.. i thought about silver.. i like that plasti dip roof, do you have a sunroof?

·
Registered
480 Posts
oh ok i may have to start washing it by hand then.. i have the harbor grey one.. i thought about silver.. i like that plasti dip roof, do you have a sunroof?
Thank you, I do not have a sun roof, I have the GLS model. I wanted to mirrior the look of the panoramic roof on the other models, I like the look of it, minus the lines I got from using the spray cans, if I had a paint gun it would come out much better, I'm currently on the fence with it. Cause of the lines. I'm thinking about doing my grill, next.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What did you do to your grill? Plastidip?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also have the harbor blue. I have plastidipprd my stock 16's white andsmoked my tails. I'll take pics tomorrow in the sun. But I'm about to plastidip my chrome by my doors black as well as the hood and trunk chrome. Also debadged the whole thing

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think I'm gonna have to dip the grill, just did some editing online.
Before
ImageUploadedByAG Free1380512062.986582.jpg

After
ImageUploadedByAG Free1380512088.089531.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
480 Posts
@Gmonkey, looks good, did you take off the dip from your wheels? And when your Debadged the flying H from the rear did you have 2 little holes under it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah, 2 little holes. but i still got the wheels dipped but they are really dirty and hard to wash cause due to rubbing off. i didnt spray it on that thick(first dip job). wheels do look kinda silver in the pic. i think its cause the picture is shaky. idk

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
you have more options with paint. I painted the chrome strip along the windows matte black and color matched everything else. no chrome, no badges.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts