Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was outside cleaning my Sonata yesterday, and noticed the chrome on the front grill is starting to bubble and separate (I have the GLS, so this is the chrome border that goes around the front grill.) I have a good one inch area at the very bottom of the grill that has bubbled up. If I push on the bubble, I can feel air under it...it is just a matter of time before the bubble breaks and the chrome peels.

Car has 50,000 miles on it and will be 4 years old in May.

Has anyone else experienced chrome peeling/bubbling on their front grill? The easy fix is to buy and install a new grill, but I just wondered if this was common.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS and I also just noticed the chrome on my front grill bubbling....I have 34,000 miles and I will make 5 years in October....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm seeing the same issue at 48,000 miles. Time wise its out of warranty. Hyundai corporate refused to comp a replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
chrome front emblem & grill peeling/bubbling

I experienced the same issue just after warranty expired. Mine got so bad, all of the blue and silver came off the front emblem. Chrome coating bubbled all over the grill and also on the cup holder.

Very disappointing.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hyundai/Kia have had issues with their "chome" for awhile. I had an '09 Kia Spectra and the door handles would peel and cut your hands open. The dealer replacement parts for the door handles were non-chrome plastic matching the rest of the interior because they couldn't fix it. also had issues with the chrome piece on the hood above the grill bubbling up, however it had over 50k on it when I first noticed it. So far my '14 SE with 42650 doesn't have any issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts