Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a chirping noise/grinding noise. It happens in 3rd-5th gear and only for the first 15mins of driving. Stops making the noise after that. It happens sometimes when releasing the clutch pedal. Sometimes it occurs while accelerating and not touching clutch pedal at all. That mostly happens in 5th gear around 60mph. Any ideas would help? Thinking it has to do with trans, possibly throw out bearing. Not sure though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Time to buy a new clutch I think, does it have trouble 'hooking up' on high throttle take offs as well? Or shuddering at times on engagement? Could be the throw out bearing hanging on the carrier but once you have that out it's only six more tiny bolts and you have the clutch plate out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no issues shifting at all. If it were the throw out bearing or clutch I would think I would hear it all the time. It only seems to occur around 40mph and 60 mph. It doesnt continually occur either. It only happens as I said for the first 15 mins and doesnt occur again. Some mornings it doesnt happen either. It seems very hit or miss. Seems like it has to do with outside temperaure. The warmer the car gets sitting in sun it seems more likely to occur. The cooler mornings sometimes it doesnt happen at all.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
its the fact that this happens during clutch engagement. there really isn't any other likely options.

as yourself this: are you doubting this diagnosis simply because you don't want to believe it or because you have just cause to believe that it may not be correct?

nothing from what you have said regarding temperature makes me change my mind...something else we don't know? this is how diagnosis is done. if there's reason to think otherwise, it should be investigated and the theory should be changed to fit the facts.

if its simply not wanting to believe that's the problem (happens more than you'd think), well that's the beauty about facts. you can believe what you want, but facts are still facts.

the short of this is you need to confirm this diagnosis of clutch failure (weather it be the disc slipping or bearing gone).

to check for bearing, i'd recommend a mechanic's stethoscope. on the bellhousing with someone pushing your clutch a few times both fast and slow to try and reproduce this at idle. that should rule out the bearing with any luck, but not the clutch disc.

the fact that you can shift fine and you are not getting constant noise tells me that its not the transmission. again, this points to clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt because as an engineer I would like to see definitive proof of the failure before I go and tear into it without knowing for sure. I was fishing for other ideas I could rule out to feel closer to 100% knowing. I wasnt trying to doubt anyone. I feel pretty strongly after reviewing and talking with folks that it is disc slippage. Was just looking for some other ideas to discount before getting to it. My apologizes if i offended anyone.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think all any of the contributors expect is that you present as many details as possible with your best interpretation of what's happening. We will then offer our best shots at interpreting your information. With such a varying geographic and usage database one of us is likely to get pretty dang close to the correct answer. It's then up to you to decide which one of us knows what they're talking about, if any. :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i think i can speak for everyone here when i say no offense taken. most of the time someone questions things like that its not valid...they just don't want to believe thats the problem because it costs money. you were the unusual case.

as an engineer, you're right to question things and i understand completely. i was a mechanical designer for 5 years....completely understand!

sorry if i came off a bit harsh, that's pretty normal for me. i find its necessary often....for above reasons :p

ray g: i think you said it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I found out what the problem was. It was the AC compressor. I started to note more about when it was happening. Figured out it only was occurring when AC was on as its starting to get cooler and I wasnt hearing it as much. Occurred to me that in morning when cool I didnt use AC and in afternoons when hot out I was. So one afternoon I started car and had someone sitting in car. The turned on AC and I started to give it gas. The noise occurred right at the compressor pulley. I took off tire to discover a missing mounting bolt from the idler pulley on the AC compressor belt. I de-tensioned the belt replaced the bolt and retensioned. Have not heard the noise since.

I feel 100% better I have discovered where the noise was coming from. I appreciate all the input. This is a great forum and I will try to contribute as best I can.

·
Registered
763 Posts
go with a higher stage clutch, end of your problems.

im on a stage 3 right now, grips like a MF, havent had any problems yet. I've burnt out 2 clutches and 2 transmissions in this car from 08 til now.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Chalk up one to experience, you fixed it! A bit unusual, compressor problems tend to be terminal and consistent. I guess a missing tensioner bolt does throw in a bit of a wild card.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts