Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else highly disappointed in the resilience of the paint on this car?

I've had mine for just over a year now and have around 18,000 miles on it. I remembered seeing a chip a while ago and wanted to take care of it before it got wintery and the salt started dropping. But when I went out to do that, I was floored by the sheer number of small chips my car has all over the front end! There must be over a dozen of them!!! They are all down to the metal as well!

This is my first BRAND NEW CAR and even my old 15-20 year old cars never had this problem! What is going on here? This can't be right, nonetheless acceptable!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Yes start looking at all new cars in parking lots and you will see the same thing. Automotive paints are not as durable any more for environmental reasons. I try to keep it clean and wax a few times a year. I also have a bug/rock deflector on the hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes start looking at all new cars in parking lots and you will see the same thing. Automotive paints are not as durable any more for environmental reasons. I try to keep it clean and wax a few times a year. I also have a bug/rock deflector on the hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I believe you all the way but, what are the environmental reasons? Or maybe possible more reasons for people to service their cars and fix dings, scratches, etc and spend more money? I know that's a long shot but just saying.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
its because the traditional paints are VERY toxic. i have worked with some of this crap, and it WILL give you cancer, eat your liver, brain, lungs, kidneys, etc. with enough exposure. this stuff is terrible for the environment as well.

just look up toluene and its effects...and thats just one of the chemicals in this stuff. btw, toluene replaced benzene as a LESS harmful alternative if you can believe that.

there has been a big push to remove these harmful compounds. its for both the people that work with these chemicals, the environment when spraying and dealing with the waste, as well as when the paint is rotting and flecking off in the scrapyard years later.

no this is not a scam to get you into the shop more. its simply the fact that these less harmful paints are new. it takes time to get the bugs ironed out. just look at plastics from the 1970's and compare with today's.

·
Registered
547 Posts
its because the traditional paints are VERY toxic. i have worked with some of this crap, and it WILL give you cancer, eat your liver, brain, lungs, kidneys, etc. with enough exposure. this stuff is terrible for the environment as well.

just look up toluene and its effects...and thats just one of the chemicals in this stuff. btw, toluene replaced benzene as a LESS harmful alternative if you can believe that.

there has been a big push to remove these harmful compounds. its for both the people that work with these chemicals, the environment when spraying and dealing with the waste, as well as when the paint is rotting and flecking off in the scrapyard years later.

no this is not a scam to get you into the shop more. its simply the fact that these less harmful paints are new. it takes time to get the bugs ironed out. just look at plastics from the 1970's and compare with today's.
awesome info, thank you! But yes, that all does make sense. I figured it was just the toxicity but didn't know it was that bad.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
When I sold Nissans in the early 1990s the company was bragging about introducing environmentally-sound water-borne paint, and yes, they chipped easily too.

·
Banned
532 Posts

But you were oh so happy when the job was done.........:hyper:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seems like everything these days takes 6 months to cure out (not just concrete!). Anytime you paint, varnish or whatever, baby it for 6 months - you'll be happier with the result. VERY apparent with melamine paint. If you can get it past the 1st 6 months it's like metal!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Some of the toughest paints are water based now; ie powder paints used on motorcycle parts, car rims etc. Even a car key has a hard time scratching surface; but long curing process involves a heating oven.

Although water based doesn't guarantee low toxicity; lots of nasty stuff still water soluble; look up boiler treatment chemicals Cortrol, Continuum, Optispherse , GE Betz chemical products I have worked with.

When I think of toluene I think of dynamite; toluene is one of the T 's in TNT, tri nitro toluene; lower flash point vapors than even gasoline; ubber nasty stuff.

But on topic---full powder coated car body paint would be cats ass; no chips fading, just about indestructible; cost might restrict it to just hood or a few lower body panels mmmm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seems like everything these days takes 6 months to cure out (not just concrete!). Anytime you paint, varnish or whatever, baby it for 6 months - you'll be happier with the result. VERY apparent with melamine paint. If you can get it past the 1st 6 months it's like metal!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, I got some "Just Green" paint cleaner from CT. It MELTED the paint!! Of course it's citric acid - who figured citric acid is green? Check out how toxic that is!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
But you were oh so happy when the job was done.........:hyper:
actually i was:) for about a day. i repainted my bumper with wonderfully toxic polyester based paint. less than 2 days later my ex-wife's dad managed to park his old POS corollia INTO my bumper. gave it a good kiss and the bolt heads on the license plate took chunks out of my new paint job

REAL HAPPY! i made him pay up for more paint. i was still pissed.

·
22,793 Posts
I would've been livid. Sometimes you just want to throw up your arms and ask yourself, "Why try?" But we already know the answer to that!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I believe that the shape of the front end also has a bearing on the number of chips, the slope now catches more pebbles than those of 20 years ago

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I had bug reflectors on my previous car and it seemed to help. My brother had the same model of Elantra (2002/2003) and was full of chips, while mine was clean as new.
However that cause more rocks landing on the windshield...

·
22,793 Posts
I had bug reflectors on my previous car and it seemed to help. My brother had the same model of Elantra (2002/2003) and was full of chips, while mine was clean as new.
However that cause more rocks landing on the windshield...
Wow, where you guys live in the Quebec area up there? Near a gravel pit? So far, my nose wind deflector has done a top-shelf job keeping stones off the hood and windshield. So far...LOL.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hate the idea of a deflector. They just don't look good to me. Also, I have chips on the front fenders too!!! I would need a deflector that goes across the entire front end!

·
22,793 Posts
I hate the idea of a deflector. They just don't look good to me. Also, I have chips on the front fenders too!!! I would need a deflector that goes across the entire front end!
Hummer H1? ;) Aside from the occasional touch up, or front wrap, it's business as usual. "Chip happens." Even the most cautious of owners have to eventually address it. I saw a relatively new Mercedes the other day. Wanna guess what was on his front bumper? Yep, paint chips. You can't prevent 'em, you can't dodge or avoid 'em. Just have to learn to live and deal with it. Unfortunately. Sigh.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts