Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one key and one remote. I would like to make a spare key and went to home depot. They didn't have the blank to make the key but checked the key I had and said there wasn't a chip in it.
I will try going to a locksmith and get it made. Does anyone know for sure if a 03 LX key has a chip in it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Typically, you can't just tell by the model car but by the options a car has.
If Home Depot says it doesn't have a chip (transponder), then it probably doesn't. This just means a new key is gonna cost you like $5.

Call your dealer and give them your VIN and see how much they say it'll be. Sometimes it's only like $15-$20 and you get a Hyundai key. It may be worth it to you.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I see no location posted in the profile, thus it os difficult for somebody to answer question based on the location the vehicle resides..

USA does not use "chips" in SM key blank..

Canada been all over this site that they have immobilizer on all their cars..

The rest of the world, I do not know..

Maybe a pic of exististing key might help... but best bet is to just visit local Hyundai dealer and purchase key blank, and let them cut it via key code, rather than duping a used key making a 2nd used key..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see no location posted in the profile, thus it os difficult for somebody to answer question based on the location the vehicle resides..

USA does not use "chips" in SM key blank..

Canada been all over this site that they have immobilizer on all their cars..

The rest of the world, I do not know..

Maybe a pic of exististing key might help... but best bet is to just visit local Hyundai dealer and purchase key blank, and let them cut it via key code, rather than duping a used key making a 2nd used key..
thanks, in the USA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts