Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped.  My car has been making this cherping noise for a couple weeks now, and I can't figure out what is causing it.  It's really bothering me.

The noise is sinked in with the rpms.  While in neutural or while I have the clutch in, the noise stops.  The higher the rpms I'm running, the faster the sound goes.  I opened the hood the other day to see if I could figure it out, but all I found out from that is it sounds like it's coming from under the engine cover.

Engine? Maybe a component near it? Maybe it's just the cold weather constricting parts to a smaller size?  If someone here could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It completely stops when you press on the clutch? At any RPM?

If so, the clutch release bearing is worn. You'll have to pull the transmission to get to it.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
Warranty!  Your car is still brand new.

I swear I saw a TSB on some sort of similar squeak somewhere on hmaservice but I'm not pulling up anything like it for the MC.  I have a tendency to browse TSB's for other models, so maybe it wasn't for these cars. :innocent:

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Dec 11 2010, 08:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378767
It completely stops when you press on the clutch? At any RPM?

If so, the clutch release bearing is worn. You'll have to pull the transmission to get to it.
If true, good luck claiming this under warranty. Clutches are one of those things all dealerships will insist that it's always 100% the customer's fault and get away with it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it just stops though because the RPMs are down when the clutch is open.  'cause it stops while it's in neutural too.  Also, I forgot to mention that it only does it once in a while.

Today, i'm having a pretty warm day, and haven't heard it yet today. And it just started when it started getting cold.

When it starts up again, maybe I'll see if I could get a sound clip of it and find a way to get it on here.

Hoping it's not the clutch.  That would be a pita.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Dec 11 2010, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378833
I think it just stops though because the RPMs are down when the clutch is open.  'cause it stops while it's in neutural too.  Also, I forgot to mention that it only does it once in a while.

Today, i'm having a pretty warm day, and haven't heard it yet today. And it just started when it started getting cold.

When it starts up again, maybe I'll see if I could get a sound clip of it and find a way to get it on here.

Hoping it's not the clutch.  That would be a pita.

The clutch disc is pressed between the flywheel and pressure plate when in neutral with the cluth pedal not pressed. The transmission doesn't have any gears engaged and spins the mainshaft freely. On the clutch side, being in neutral is the same as being in gear.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to Dickson City Hyundai (my dealer) tomorrow morning for an oil change.  So, I'll ask them how much it'll be to replace the clutch release bearing.  

But before that, I'm going to restore my coolant bypass mod to it's original state so they don't see it, and find some way to relate that to the clutch.  I don't know how they would, but that's what they're paid for. MAYBE I could get this covered under warranty.  Highly doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

Note: My new Accent is only about 4 months/13,600 miles old.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man. Looks a bit of an in depth project for me though.  I think the most complicated project I ever did myself on a car was changing the timing belt on a ford Contour. haha. 

I was actually thinking about the KFX performance clutches once the Dealer told me it would be about $850 to have them replace the part.  I was thinking that if I got an aftermarket clutch from kfx, and had someone else swap it out, I'd be paying less for that than what the dealer wanted for just replacing the bearing.

My mom told me of a guy named Rick that she takes her car to.  She said he does everything dirt cheap, and apparently he knows what he's doing.  She's never complained about his work.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Dec 19 2010, 11:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381618
Thanks man. Looks a bit of an in depth project for me though.  I think the most complicated project I ever did myself on a car was changing the timing belt on a ford Contour. haha. 

I was actually thinking about the KFX performance clutches once the Dealer told me it would be about $850 to have them replace the part.  I was thinking that if I got an aftermarket clutch from kfx, and had someone else swap it out, I'd be paying less for that than what the dealer wanted for just replacing the bearing.

My mom told me of a guy named Rick that she takes her car to.  She said he does everything dirt cheap, and apparently he knows what he's doing.  She's never complained about his work.
Clutch work isn't hard, just time consuming. Took me two days on my old passat syncro and I had air tools. It did have more stuff to remove because of the AWD. You could do it if you take your time and plan.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will the bearing being worn hurt my clutch if I wait untill summer to work on it?  I don't have a garage. (Just in case I decide to give it a shot)

+ I'm pretty low on cash right now, with Christmas and all.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:/ I've been taking it extra easy on the clutch lately.  As soon as I work up the money to fix it, I'll get it fixed. Maybe I could give the guy a call tomorrow, and get an estimate.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Dec 20 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381713
:/ I've been taking it extra easy on the clutch lately.  As soon as I work up the money to fix it, I'll get it fixed. Maybe I could give the guy a call tomorrow, and get an estimate.
The throwout bearing isn't that expensive and you don't have to replace the clutch assembly just to replace it. It's just a paint to pull the transmission to get to it.

On a side note, older VWs with the 020 4-5 speed transmissions had the release bearing at the end of the trans under a cover, the clutch was actuated with a push rod pressing on a plate against the pressure plate (which was itself bolted to the engine instead of the flywheel). Took about 30 minutes to replace. They later put it where the clutch is because the pushrod would punch a hole in the plate with time.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just went to Tri-State yesterday to pick up my check, My boss, the secretary, and I went outside for a smoke.  I left my car running, because I didn't think I was going to be too long. This is how the conversation went:

-----

Secretary: What's that sound?

Me: My release bearing in the clutch.

Secretary: Isn't that car newish?

Me: About 14,000 miles old

Secretary: You should get that covered under warranty.

Me: I was told it's a wear and trear part, so I don't think I can.

Secretary: Gimme the number to your dealer.

---

I then gave her the number, and she called the service manager.  She was on the phone with him for a while pretty much b******* him out, and saying that it should be covered under warranty. He says: "I understand mam, I understand."

So tomorrow I have an appointment to have them look at it.  I may be able to get it covered now. :D

I'm just hoping that they don't say that my intake voids all warranties.  I've heard on here though, that there's a series of warranties. Though, I am reversing the coolant bypass mod today, so they at least don't see that.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Leprakong @ Dec 21 2010, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381995
I just went to Tri-State yesterday to pick up my check, My boss, the secretary, and I went outside for a smoke.  I left my car running, because I didn't think I was going to be too long. This is how the conversation went:

-----

Secretary: What's that sound?

Me: My release bearing in the clutch.

Secretary: Isn't that car newish?

Me: About 14,000 miles old

Secretary: You should get that covered under warranty.

Me: I was told it's a wear and trear part, so I don't think I can.

Secretary: Gimme the number to your dealer.

---

I then gave her the number, and she called the service manager.  She was on the phone with him for a while pretty much b******* him out, and saying that it should be covered under warranty. He says: "I understand mam, I understand."

So tomorrow I have an appointment to have them look at it.  I may be able to get it covered now. :D

I'm just hoping that they don't say that my intake voids all warranties.  I've heard on here though, that there's a series of warranties. Though, I am reversing the coolant bypass mod today, so they at least don't see that.
They can't void the warranty because of an intake unless it was DIRECTLY responsible for the damage (like you blew the engine because the filter disintegrated...). They could assume that you beat on the car because it has a few mods though, putting more strain on the clutch. Even if they do, they would have to prove it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet.  That's what I was thinking.  What I have is Wheels, Eyelines, intake, subs, side decals, LEDs almost all around and the coolant bypass mod(which I'm switching out today). None of which would have anything to do with the clutch. :D

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
YES! I'm having it covered under warranty! It wasn't making the noise when I got there, but they said once I have it up there while it is making the noise, they'll fix it. 

FYI: They were puting a new engine in a Genesis Coup (under warranty) that had an aftermarket turbo in it.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts