Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a drain and fill and want to check the level of my fluid in the transmission.
Can someone please verify these steps? I want to ensure I do this correctly.

1. Run engine for about 15 mins to reach operating temp. I plan to drive around a bit.
2. With vehicle level and idling, Open fill hole on top under air filter and side check hole. If no fluid add until it starts dripping out.
3. Close up check plug and fill plug.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
25-32 lb-ft.
To check, just remove the side plug to check the capacity. If it flows out fine, but if it needs fluid
add through check hole or remove the top plug again and add more fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
25-32 lb-ft.
To check, just remove the side plug to check the capacity. If it flows out fine, but if it needs fluid
add through check hole or remove the top plug again and add more fluid.
Do you have any advice on how to check the trans tempature on the Elantra to ensure proper time to check the level?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you have the equipment you can check through the obdII port, but other than that just drive the csr until temp normal and the check. This is what I do, just drive the car and check.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! I figured out the tempature, but I broke the check cap unfortunately so I need to find one. Fluid level seams good though a slight stream flowing out. Needed a qt total.

What happens to these if they are accidently overfilled?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
You follow the factory service manual for level checking is how you know its full.

Quit being a hack and do the job correctly. If its under or overfilled, you blow your transmission. If its grossly overfilled, it'll burp out of seals/gaskets/vents and the ATF will catch on fire and burn your car down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You follow the factory service manual for level checking is how you know its full.

Quit being a hack and do the job correctly. If its under or overfilled, you blow your transmission. If its grossly overfilled, it'll burp out of seals/gaskets/vents and the ATF will catch on fire and burn your car down.
(y)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great! I figured out the tempature, but I broke the check cap unfortunately so I need to find one. Fluid level seams good though a slight stream flowing out. Needed a qt total.

What happens to these if they are accidently overfilled?
This means you have a perfect fluid level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This means you have a perfect fluid level.
Thank you! Everything seems to have been a success. Now I am attempting to find out what the correct transmission tempature range is in the elantras when driving down the highway. I purchased a ScanGauge to monitor. Want this thing to last 250,000+ miles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts