Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my recently purchased Hyundai Accent MVI Coupe, 1999 T-reg (UK), 1.5i 16 valve. She's a real sweet ride - but I have modding fever and don't know where to start - any ideas?

Please excuse the bug splats on the front - I just had to take it for a spin round some country roads in the sun to see how she goes - and for a 1.5i - she goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi verry good condition car.To give the car a verry nice note to the car u should look at buying an pipercross for the car.
The piper cross for the car should be from £75 to £100.
I have an 02 plate mvi 1.5 16v.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool lambo.

I'm looking to get an induction kit at some stage, as well as an ecotek valve & filter, as I've heard nothing but good things about them (increased fuel economy, increased engine power / performance, and a 100k mile full replacement warrenty).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey man, clean lookin car. An induction kit/intake could be easily made for your vehicle. You could take an intake from a civic and chop it a little to fit your car.

I'm not sure about your engine, but in mine there are coolant lines running through the throttle body. If you have those you could disconnect them to get a slightly colder intake charge. All you do is disconnect the lines from the throttle body, and reroute one of the lines back to the source.

You could also tighten up your throttle cable. It won't give you any more power, but it will make your throttle feel a little more responsive.

I say you go for suspension first. N/A mods don't increase the power a whole lot for the accent, but suspension mods can completely change how your vehicle handles. I put some B&G springs on my car and now it definitely corners a lot more aggresively. A short shifter will also make it more fun to drive.

Back on the intake, although you won't get huge gains in power from it, it at least makes the engine sound a lot more aggressive. That's what I like about the mod at least, it gave it a nice groul that it didn't have before. Although after I put on my exhaust you can't really hear the intake any more. If you get an exhaust, I suggest that you put a resonator on as well, that way your exhaust won't be too loud.

And if you want more gauranteed power, swap in a tiburon or elantra engine. Then go turbo. B) That could easily give you 200whp.

Oh yeah, one question. What is a pipercross kit? I've seen it talked about a few times on these forums, but I've never heard of it before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you want to stick to N/A power id go for an RPW Quad Throttle Body, Intake, new exhaust from the extractors the list goes on and on and on!

Id just put a turbo kit in there and ots of GFB (Go fast bits)

·
Registered
51 Posts
:blink: A QTB won't do much of anything for your vehicle, unless you have massive amounts of displacement. As for the TB side, I would just get a BBTB. You won't see huge power gains, but you will get increased throttle response.

If you want any decent power from your accent, stay away from N/A mods and go turbo first. Of course you will need the exhaust to accomodate the setup, and a BBTB and some cams would help out.

If you want your accent to run 13s, or maybe even 12s at the track, do a BETA swap with a turbo. The BETA swap alone will get you into the 15s, which is about 3 seconds faster than your accent in its current stage. From my understanding, the Beta engine can take around 10lbs of boost with no internal modifications.

You could also do the swap and just do N/A mods on it, but hyundai engines generally don't respond very well to N/A. If you wanted to do that, I would just recommend that you slap a turbo on your current engine.

Oh yeah, and like I originally posted, do suspesion and brakes first! If your car can't handle the power, there's no point in handling it in the first place.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi, :)

A few options spring to mind. A Powerchip would help.

On quad throttle bodies: a Sydney tuning firm does exhaust, cams and qtb which gives a claimed 135kw and from user reports it does add to the top end BIG time with an appropriate increase in frenzied noise under the bonnet.

Hyundai Vehicle Enhancements is the company.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Andrew B)

·
Registered
36 Posts
:57: nice ride mate. good to see its the 16valve which is a very under rated motor.with the right mods you'll get her crackin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts