Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First of all, sorry for my bad english, talking from France !

Here is my problem :
I occasionally get some white smoke coming out of the exhaust. This occurs after driving for 30 or 40 minutes for example, and stopping the car.

It doesn't occur all the time. I checked my level of coolant, it does not move a muscle. No oil consumption either, all levels are good.
The smoke is white, not blue or gray, and it feels just the exhaust I think.
Also I have no other symptoms, no problem starting, no power loss, it looks ok !

Last week, I got again some white smoke and the "check" light started blinking. I stopped the car to look at the engine, then I restart and the "check" light lights continuously.
I went to the garage to read the code, and it's related to the particles filter. He forced a regeneration and told me that I should be quiet now.

Unfortunately, yesterday I got the "check" light blinking again, accompanied by white smoke. After several restarts, no more smoke, but the light continues to blink.

I must go again to the garage, but in the meantime I do not know if I can continue driving ? Knowing that the car behaves correctly ... I'm afraid to damage the particle filter.

What's your opinion ?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
:00000732:

When the check engine light is flashing, there is something very wrong with the car and you should NOT keep driving it. White smoke is not usually a good sign. To me that sounds like the head gasket has failed and coolant is leaking into the cylinders. It's odd that you aren't losing any coolant, though. Hmmmm....

And don't worry about your English...it's fine. :) I just wish my sister was around....she's fluent in French.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't have a diesel Santa Fe but do have a diesel Volvo XC60. Perhaps some of the issues about particle filter regeneration are common.

The particle filter regeneration occurs by the engine management injecting raw fuel into the exhaust when needed and this excess fuel burns to clear the accumulated soot in the filter. Volvo have noticed problems caused by the bio-diesel component of the fuel not burning properly in the particle filter regeneration process. They are working on a solution but the interim fix is to alter the engine management software.

There are problems with regeneration if you drive only short trips and stop start conditions. The regeneration works best if you are diving vigorously after the engine has warmed up.

I would suggest you do an occasional long trip at high speed to clear the filter.

If the warning light keeps reappearing, I would go back to the dealer and pester him until you get a solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts