Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriend drives a 97 hyudai accent and the check engine light came on. She took it to a garage to get checked out, where they charged her $60 just for that and on their diagnostics they suggested repairing over $800 worth of parts not counting labour. The car seems to be running fine except for once when stepping on the gas it took about 3 seconds for it to actually respond. That was only once. Listed in the suggested repairs were quite a few sensors (Upper O2 and Lower O2 sensors and then two Main sensors) and spark plugs and ignition wires. Quite expensive to replace all of those.... Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best action would be to try?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like they want to replace parts at random and hope it will get fixed. Try taking it to a hyundai dealer - They should be able to narrow the problem down.

The hesitation problem could be a sensor going bad but it will save you a lot of money if you can find someone capapble of figuring out which one is off.

For the kind of money you are beinf asked to lay out its well worth a second opinion.

Gord

4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a hard time finding a site that posts the check engine light codes, but for anyone interested, here it is: www.troublecodes.net
But so far it looks that the exhaust pipe is cracked and leaking exhaust, which may be causing the O2 sensors to malfunction. Her car was in an accident quite a few months back when it was hit from behind but insurance didnt look at the exhaust. We are trying to get it reassessed and get it payed for. Also from alot of my other searching on the net, the problem might also just be spark plugs or ignition wires which wouldn't be too bad as the sensors are the expensive parts. Anyone else have experiences with spark plugs or ignition wires to cause the check engine light to go on?

4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the spark plugs, car runs a little better but the engine light is still on. Exhaust pipe turns out to be cracked closer to the engine and so, we're thinking, that it is causing the O2 sensors to malfunction and cause the engine light to come on. So on to the next step of replacing the exhaust pipe. I'll keep y'all posted.

Oh and here may be a helpful site for anyone else looking for check engine light codes for quite a few makes and models.

http://www.troublecodes.net/technical/

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also searched for a website that lists the OBD2 codes and explanations, but was relieved to find that webtech does list them all. For those who are not familiar with webtech, it is the complete online reference for many of the hyundai vehicles. For example, I don't think the Getz is listed, nor are a few of the other vehicles. But the OBD2 information should be the same.

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you tried to get the reading of the code when it comes on - you might be causing your engine harm by continuing to drive your car while your engine check light is on.

Fo a tutorial on how to read the codes and what they mean see Dr. Hundi's tutorial at the top of the Accent Forum's Topic page (http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t1141-data-trouble-codes.htm)

Let us know what the result is once you get a code or two :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am tipping that your delayed throttle response is being caused by a faulty MAP sensor.

When you go to take off it bogs down, then gradually picks back up again, yes??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1999 Accent. My check engine light has been going off and on for years, too. This is the longest it's stayed on. I was told it's the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by gordo@Sep 16 2004, 02:35 AM
We had a check engine light come on that the dealer said was a bad spark plug wire causing arcing.

There were other problems going on as well (including a bad throttle position sensor) so its hard to say if this was the root cause or not.

Anyway - check out http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/techbull...ch_mrbishi1.htm for  a discussion on spark plug wires for this engine

Gord
[snapback]1188[/snapback]​

Bear in mind that the `97 Accent (or any Accent in fact!) does NOT have a Mitsubishi engine.

Accents are fitted with varying versions of Hyundai`s own Alpha powerplant.......Magnecor wires are available for these as well though!.

Nick. :)

Nick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My check engine light has been on for 3 years. Hyundai dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Now it says oxygen sensor. Im starting to have transmission problems and overheating problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 1999 Hyundai Accent in great condition from the sole previous owner. As I was driving it home, the check engine light came on. I took it to my friend's garage and was told it was a fuel problem. We spent 4 hours looking for leaks and the likes. Long story short, turns out it was the gas cap. As we tightened it, the check engine light went off. Make sure when the fuel cap goes on, that you hear 3-4 clicks, to ensure no air can get into the fuel system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts