Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Sonata 4 cyl. Is the check engine light supposed to come on momentarily when key is turned to the ON position? This one does not...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
MIL is to illuminate when key on - engine off,,, no illumination,,,,, suspect bulb filament open circuit,,, or bulb removed to hide fact car has issue that illuminate MIL...

If emission inspect for registration, that be first line of fail, as they will key on and see if MIL illuminate

Scan it, see what you find.......

<------- EDIT your 2009 Sonata 2.4 into your profile,,, along with location so we know which market you in

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had another vehicle with several DTC's and a CEL except I could not see it because the previous owner (or someone else) removed the light bulb! I knew because I failed inspection which included an ECU scan. The car ran fine and just needed to get codes cleared as well as over time some sensors replaced but that light bulb removed was a low blow - I was pretty annoyed. Good education for the future though. So check that for sure.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had another vehicle with several DTC's and a CEL except I could not see it because the previous owner (or someone else) removed the light bulb! I knew because I failed inspection which included an ECU scan. The car ran fine and just needed to get codes cleared as well as over time some sensors replaced but that light bulb removed was a low blow - I was pretty annoyed. Good education for the future though. So check that for sure.
Yeah, for my car someone removed the LED for the Airbag warning light. Thankfully there are no codes in the system

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yeah, for my car someone removed the LED for the Airbag warning light. Thankfully there are no codes in the system
Should have fault code for "Warning Light Circuit open" due to missing bulb filament to complete the circuit...

Did you actually go into the SRSCM,, or did you just use an OBD-II reader (only good for powertrain) ??

·
Registered
498 Posts
Should have fault code for "Warning Light Circuit open" due to missing bulb filament to complete the circuit...

Did you actually go into the SRSCM,, or did you just use an OBD-II reader (only good for powertrain) ??
Yes I (well the dealer) actually went into the SRSCM and yes there was the fault code for the warning light but what I meant to say was thankfully there was no other fault codes so I don’t know why the LED was removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts