Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night the check engine light popped up on my dash completely out of nowhere. I drove that night, parked, turned the ignition off, and got a cup of coffee. I started it back up after and it just popped up on the dash... As I drove home, I did not notice a single thing strange with the car. It accelerated normally, brakes were fine, engine oil level was the same, coolant was the same, and all the fuses were plugged in properly.

I've made an appointment with my dealership on Thursday since all of them were booked until Thursday. Strange how ALL 3 dealers around my area were all completely booked for today and Wednesday... We'll see how it goes...

Anyways, anyone else here had the check engine light pop up? Was it fixed? How? What was the problem? And lastly, how was the experience in getting it fixed? Any tips?

PS I know these are a lot of questions. I'm just worried since this is my first time having any problems with my Elantra, and I don't want any BS from the dealership for warranty work.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
No way of saying on here. The computer will have a stored code in it that tells what the problem is related to. It can be as simple as the gas cap not being tight. May auto parts stores can read the code for you in a minute for free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep, first re-seat the gas cap...I've gotten burned by that several times with my Mazda 3...learned that lesson well. If that doesn't fix it, then to the dealer, quickly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gas cap was actually the first thing I checked. Sadly, it wasn't the issue...

As for the auto stores reading codes for me for free, I DID NOT KNOW! I'm definitely gonna take my car to Autozone tomorrow morning.

Quick question. When reading the codes, would there be a chance that the reader might reset the code automatically? I mean without the technician knowing that the reader reset the code.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You have to confirm the code reset before it will allow you to delete. No code reader does it automatically. And just so you know, the code will only be stored for forty ignition cycles before the computer decides to 'forget' it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Know the code before a proper repair can be performed..

MIL can be triggered by fault detected by PCM or TCM,, fault codes, maybe 150+ to choose from..

If read by auto part store.. DO NOT ERASE DTC if one is recovered.. you clear it and then head straight to dealer with clean PCM/TCM.... what you want me to do with it, I cannot arbitrarily make a repair attempt without being able to show DTC on GDS screen shot for warranty audit...

I'll venture 0711

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Put me down for P0130 :)

Seriously though if it concerns you stop by a dealer tomorrow. Also keep the roadside assistance number handy.

·
22,793 Posts
Someone care to tell me what those particular code #'s represent? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Someone care to tell me what those particular code #'s represent? I'm just curious.
P2096 Cat Fuel Trim 1

P0130 O2 circuit Malfunction bank 1 sensor 1.

Ill guess P0440 - Evap Control system.

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks, Acebmxer!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I'm going to pool all these codes you guys keep spitting out and put them on a lottery ticket for the $400 million Powerball jackpot. If I win, you all get a thank you card. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
they wont reset it on accident... they are not allowed to reset it at autozone..... i have tried to have them reset one before and no one would unless you actually go to a place and get the problem fixed then the servicing company will reset it or possibly if you know the person at autozone or buy your own code reader... i use to unplug my battery to get them to go off after fixing the problem myself instead of waiting forever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Morning Gents,

Last week I bought an autel code scanner from Amazon for $17.00. Why not! It will read and clear codes, comes with a code book. Used this and it works well. Also got an Elm 327 Bluetooth scanner. Sychs to your smart phone or tablet, etc, show engine operating parameters. You do have to download the app from Google Play for $4.95 to get full functionality. It was just $11.00. Haven't had the time to play with it yet, but they were both cheap enough to have some fun with and no great loss if they don't pan out.

Jim

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Morning Gents,

Last week I bought an autel code scanner from Amazon for $17.00. Why not! It will read and clear codes, comes with a code book. Used this and it works well. Also got an Elm 327 Bluetooth scanner. Sychs to your smart phone or tablet, etc, show engine operating parameters. You do have to download the app from Google Play for $4.95 to get full functionality. It was just $11.00. Haven't had the time to play with it yet, but they were both cheap enough to have some fun with and no great loss if they don't pan out.

Jim
Yes the Torque app works well with elm327, reads codes and can display instant mpg and other data

·
22,793 Posts
Now you guys have me looking at this stuff. Dang, diffusers, black boxes, stabilizer links, code scanners, frame bushings, etc... when will it ever end? If ever!!! You're killing me!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Now you guys have me looking at this stuff. Dang, diffusers, black boxes, stabilizer links, code scanners, frame bushings, etc... when will it ever end? If ever!!! You're killing me!
Rich, Collect the whole bunch. It never ends. Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins.

BTW, I have the generic Bluetooth OBD2 and have run it in 2 other cars linked to my laptop (they usually come with several basic Windows programs). Haven't tried it yet with the Elantra. I use it for troubleshooting the CEL when that happens. I have not needed to use it yet on the Elantra.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it OP, I actually had this happen to me a couple of months after I bought my car. I had just started the car and it was up after all the lights dimmed.

They're not gonna hassle you for warranty especially if you just bought the thing. Mine turned out to be a cylinder misfire, which the mechanic couldn't make sense of since there was nothing they could do to reproduce it. They cleared the code and it never came back since.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got the car back..........................................

It turns out........... It was a spider web in the vents............ lol

I mean really? A spider web? Also, it was covered by warranty and absolutely no hassles from my dealership. I also got a full service free car wash voucher.

I looked at the mechanic weird as he was explaining it to me, and apparently it's a very common problem among all cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts