Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a GLS 2009 Accent with a check engine light. I'm assuming it's probably a timing belt. I'm at 93,000k I know you usually have to replace them at 96.

Usually the CVVT kicks in when I pass someone. You get the engine sound. So today I'm passing someone doing 60ish in an 80 zone. I go to pass her I do but now sound and the engine light goes on. I turn around to go home I make it. I'm down a piston.

It cheezes me off cause I just got a service pack 4 on it. It supposedly passes with flying colour greens.

I'm from Ont Canada if that means anything.

Any thought about what it might be? Would it be under warrenty?
How much will it cost?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hi
I have a GLS 2009 Accent with a check engine light.
Ok, did you scan the PCM for the offending DTC to know what circuit the PCM determined to be at fault so it could be diagnosed and repaired ?

I'm assuming it's probably a timing belt.
Timing belt is not a monitored input to PCM..

Usually the CVVT kicks in when I pass someone.
CVVT is "Constant Variable Vale Timing".. nothing to "kick in" there..

You get the engine sound. So today I'm passing someone doing 60ish in an 80 zone. I go to pass her I do but now sound and the engine light goes on. I turn around to go home I make it. I'm down a piston.
We have a definite misfire ?? Is the MIL flashing ?

It cheezes me off cause I just got a service pack 4 on it. It supposedly passes with flying colour greens.
What is a "service pack 4" ?? What does that entail ?

I'm from Ont Canada if that means anything.
Ok.

Any thought about what it might be?
Could be anything

Would it be under warrenty?
What is basic warranty in Canada, USA is 5yr/60,000 mile

How much will it cost?
Warranty -- Hyundai eats the cost.... customer pay, general guess be diag time at shop rate and parts/labor to make repair..
Got to know the code before we can proceed with proper diag/repair

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i'm not sure why people seem to think that saying they have a check engine light but yet not knowing what it is is going to help the diagnosis any.

here's a thought:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sorry For leaving you hanging, I had problems logging in here yesterday after I posted. You have taught me a valuable lesson. I will go get a code reader.

The guys at my dealership are great the got me intoday. It was a coil pack which they say is covered and a spart plug that isn't. But I pick it up in an hour.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sounds like you made out ok there.

the code reader will be one of the best investments you will ever make - and you'll learn a bit about your car on the way too. use internet to reference codes you don't understand.

you do not need an expensive code reader either.

350 Posts
Yeah good deal. Plugs are normally $2.50 so probably under $20 with dealer markup.

You can get gadgets and apps that turn your smartphone, tablet or laptop into a code reader. This is often much less expensive than a dedicated tool- perfect for the occasional user. Mine was $13.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts