Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started leasing 2022 sonata sport (canada), last week. Before I've even hit the one week mark, I got a check engine light yesterday. Screen said to go to dealer at my earliest convenience. I leased it from a dealer that's ~1hour away, so I brought it to a nearby dealer to see what's going on.

They seemed pretty relaxed about it; said that if the light isn't blinking, it's nothing big. Then I got pushed to an appointment on friday. The light is still on, not blinking; but still pretty worried about it. Since it's new, I didn't think there'd be any issues so early on.

Not too knowledgeable about engines; I've only checked the oil level, which is fine. Also checked the gas cap cuz someone said a loose cap could cause it.

Any ideas on what it could be? Will any charges that I incur be covered under my lease warranty?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
our car also had a ce a few months after we bought it. i made an appt with the dealer, then it went out. dealer cant diagnose if the lite is out, unless it stores the dtc. they said no need, unless it happens again. it hasn't. and it should be covered under warranty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, good to know it's covered under warranty, thanks.

I called my original dealer yesterday (the one that's an hour away). Said the car's new, so it could be something as simple as a software or code update. But google says it could be anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the code?
I dont know how to check the code. Ive read that i can probably get something off amazon to read it, but not sure if worth it.
I think that if the checkup is under warranty, then i might as well go to the dealership. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
188 Posts
Not sure if it's the same in Canada, but here in the US you can go to an auto parts store such as AutoZone or O'Reilly's and get the code read for free. That would at least give you some idea as to what's wrong.

Also, without knowing the cause of the CEL, the first thing I would check is if your gas cap is on correctly. An incorrectly seated gas cap can sometimes cause a CEL.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I dont know how to check the code. Ive read that i can probably get something off amazon to read it, but not sure if worth it.
I think that if the checkup is under warranty, then i might as well go to the dealership. Could be wrong though
Getting it checked is the right thing to do. Like they said, and probably the manual, a constant light isn't an immediate issue you need to address, a flashing CEL is something to pull over immediately for.
Picking up a cheap code reader or a USB bluetooth OBD2 dongle and using many free apps or purchasing a $5 app like Torque (the only app I have ever actually purchased) is a cheap investment. For about $20 total you will forever have access to the code your car (and future cars, friends cars, rental, etc) is throwing, be able to clear it if it is something simple like a loose gas cap. Being armed with the information sets you up for going to a dealer or mechanic since you can explain what you think the issue is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if it's the same in Canada, but here in the US you can go to an auto parts store such as AutoZone or O'Reilly's and get the code read for free. That would at least give you some idea as to what's wrong.

Also, without knowing the cause of the CEL, the first thing I would check is if your gas cap is on correctly. An incorrectly seated gas cap can sometimes cause a CEL.
I haven't touched the gas cap at all because I picked up the car less than a week ago and they gave me a full tank. Haven't needed to fill yet. Not sure if that could cause a CEL 5 days later, but I'll still check.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't touched the gas cap at all because I picked up the car less than a week ago and they gave me a full tank. Haven't needed to fill yet. Not sure if that could cause a CEL 5 days later, but I'll still check.
That will most certainly cause a CE light. Open the cap and put it back on. Chances are this will solve the problem.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,167 Posts
Until you get your own reader, you can go to an auto parts store and they will read the code for your for free!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Started leasing 2022 sonata sport (canada), last week. Before I've even hit the one week mark, I got a check engine light yesterday. Screen said to go to dealer at my earliest convenience. I leased it from a dealer that's ~1hour away, so I brought it to a nearby dealer to see what's going on.

They seemed pretty relaxed about it; said that if the light isn't blinking, it's nothing big. Then I got pushed to an appointment on friday. The light is still on, not blinking; but still pretty worried about it. Since it's new, I didn't think there'd be any issues so early on.

Not too knowledgeable about engines; I've only checked the oil level, which is fine. Also checked the gas cap cuz someone said a loose cap could cause it.

Any ideas on what it could be? Will any charges that I incur be covered under my lease warranty?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Try checking to see that your gas cap is closed properly. Make sure it clicks closed. Had check engine light come on in a different car and it was due to this issue!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts