Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Santa Fe stick shift 2wd 4 cylinder. 50 miles after getting gas, I got a check engine light. I remembered I had only clicked the gas cap once by mistake,so took gas cap off and tightened it 3 clicks and drove it the 20 miles the gas cap instructed. Check engine light did not turn off, so I want to autozone.and got a P0507 code: idle air control system RPM higher than expected.

Wonder if the loose gas cap caused the problem with the idle air control valve, or if they are separate issues?

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Is it an electric throttle body? My Gen Coupe would idle fast and erratic and finally set a code similar. It was a dirty throttle body. No IAC on electronic throttle bodies.

My Accent with cable throttle body and IAC had the IAC so dirty it was stuck and the first symptom was I lost the fast idle after a cold start. then a low idle no matter. it was all carboned up and biding.

Both were easy to clean though you have to take them off to fully clean. May want to have a throttle body gasket on hand in case the old one gets torn.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,388 Posts
The 2.4 engine has a MAP sensor, so higher than target idle could be caused by a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a 2.4L engine. I do not know if it has an electric throttle body. I have been googling and even called Hyundai parts and they do not know, but assume it has. I called a mechanic who wants to do a thorough check, which might be a good idea since we do have a rodent problem out here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2.4 engine has a MAP sensor, so higher than target idle could be caused by a vacuum leak.
Is it an electric throttle body? My Gen Coupe would idle fast and erratic and finally set a code similar. It was a dirty throttle body. No IAC on electronic throttle bodies.

My Accent with cable throttle body and IAC had the IAC so dirty it was stuck and the first symptom was I lost the fast idle after a cold start. then a low idle no matter. it was all carboned up and biding.

Both were easy to clean though you have to take them off to fully clean. May want to have a throttle body gasket on hand in case the old one gets torn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would it do any good to erase the code and see if the check engine light goes out and drive it around to see if it comes back on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts