Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 07 Veracruz and I’m having a difficult time understanding why the “check engine” light on the dashboard keeps coming on/off and today it started flashing. I had Hyundai perform the tuneup (against my better judgement) and it’s been doing this ever since my visit there. I’ve been back to dealer 3x’s, with the 4th quickly approaching. They claimed to have changed all the coils and replaced them with new ones, but the problem still persist. I’m a bit frustrated because I need to pass my NYS Inspection and I cannot pass if the “check engine” light issue isn’t fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,575 Posts
A flashing check engine light usually means that some part of the power train is in danger of severe damage
Most of the time it is the catalytic converter
Either running too rich or too lean
Can happen due to faulty O2 sensors or faulty MAP or MAF sensors or faulty fuel injectors
Sometimes putting in a battle of fuel injector cleaner can cause an issue
But add another bottle and it can clear up

Is the engine running rough?? Misfires??
Why hasn't Hyundai scanned for trouble codes??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes vehicle appears to be misfiring and it also has a rough idle. Haven’t tried the fuel injector solution, but I will definitely do that this week. Believe it or not Hyundai did a scan and stated there was misfiring and they suggested I get a tune up (which I did) and somehow the problem is still there.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,575 Posts
When I had a cylinder 3 misfire, the idle was rough and the gas mileage was poor
It was the intake manifold gasket.
It had dried and a piece broke off .. causing a vacuum leak

No tune up would fix it.
Needed to replace the intake manifold gasket
Need to trouble shoot and find what is wrong
O2 sensors? MAF or MAP? Gaskets? Grounds? ETc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I went to Hyundai again and after the vehicle being there for 2 days, they said it appears the “oil control valve” needs to be replaced! I have no idea what it is, so I’m at a standstill once again. After reading your post, I’m wondering if the tune up was a complete waste

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,575 Posts
Others here can tell you better about this oil control valve (OCV) @sbr711, @AUTOSPARK

Essentially, OCV helps determine the amount of oil reaching the cam shaft in a VVT engine
Variable Valve Timing (VVT) is used to change the timing of the valves
To either increase time the valves are open or the time the valves close
It helps to increase the power and reduce fuel consumption

Don't know enough about it to say one way or another about it causing a misfire
But, I would ask what Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) were read from the car's computer (ECU or ECM)
See if the codes are related to the VVT or OCV
Ask them if they check for any vacuum leaks that could cause misfire or rough running

I am thinking that your vehicle is no longer under warranty??
So, I would ask a ton of questions before I okay any work
Most under experienced mechanics are just parts changers
They don't know for sure and do a lot of guessing (costing you money)
Like me .. just guessing

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Tune ups are little more than new plugs anymore. Iridium plugs should last 100k miles. The coils should last forever but many don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts