Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way back from Edmonton I stopped at the Coquihalla Summit rest room station and when I started the SF the engine light stayed on.

I shut it off and checked oil. Oil good. When I started it again it didn't start as swiftly as it normally would. Since I still had 150km to go in the dark I decided to give it a whirl as the alternative, like waiting for a tow truck, would be many hours.

Max rpm, about 2000. Give more gas and it sputters.
Eventually nursed it to maintain 80-100 kmh at the 2k rpm. Since it was mostly downhill I continued to at least get closer to civilization. Found sort of a sweet spot and was able to maintain 100kmh on level ground and lost some on grades. Engine was running smooth.

As it turned out I made it home. Total milage on SF: 58,250 km. Guess I'll see what the dealer says on Monday.

Wondering if anyone had anything similar happen and if so, the outcome.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Need to know what the DTC is to know what circuit the PCM has seen to be at fault....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace GDI pump and pressure pipe from pump to main fuel rail.. starting to see GDI pump lose of pressure with some miles randomly

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced high pressure fuel pump today. All good again.

Dealer mentioned that they've replaced a few. Replacement is supposed to be of a "new and improved" variety.

They also mentioned that they have had no failures of the low pressure pump. As long as I can limp home, all is good, should the pump fail again. Hopefully it would be on level terrain or at least the downhill side of a mountain pass.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replaced high pressure fuel pump today. All good again.
Told ya so :wink:

Dealer mentioned that they've replaced a few.
We seeing GDI pumps starting to drop, done a bunch at our place the last couple yr..

Replacement is supposed to be of a "new and improved" variety.
That funny.. grab another same part and install it.. no memo about improved part in the pipe line

They also mentioned that they have had no failures of the low pressure pump.
Not seen here either, lo pump just feeds high pressure pump.. no high pressure, engine lacks power

As long as I can limp home, all is good, should the pump fail again.
Correct, just a lack of power,, not end of world unless pump dies totally
GDI pump getting to be minor concern,, we replaced a bunch here already

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All is good.
Just back from another trip to Edmonton. This time with a 4x8 U-Haul in tow.

Behaved as it used to. Fuel pump replacement did the trick.
If they add collision mitigation a 2016 LWB will be in my future.

Unfortunately someone clipped my left front fender. I'm guessing parking lot rash.
Windshield survived 4 trips accross though, something of a miracle in itself.

With the negatives outweighing the positives on this forum I thought I'd better close this thread on a positive note. As I said at the start... All is good. 60,000+ km :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem in My Accent 2013 with the same code, In my case I replace the tank pump and the camshaft pump and the car have the same symptoms, The car stay in the garage for few month because we are impacted by a huge Huracan and for that time we don't have the basic services. I read some where those cars have a recall for computer upgrade. And I ask the time I have the car without battery can erase the version of the computer and the an upgrade?

Thanks!

Leonardo

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Hyundai must have acquired some former GM high pressure fuel pumps...... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Quick Disconnect"

GDI pump getting to be minor concern,, we replaced a bunch here already
I had a P0087 code and ordered a new high pressure pump after reviewing the installation instructions I found online. Pulled the fuel pump relay, started the engine to release the high side pressure. I then proceeded to attempt to remove the low pressure fuel line "quick disconnect". Except it was anything but quick. I am baffled how this thing is supposed to disconnect. One of the videos I watched was a similar replacement on a Sonata, but it had a different disconnect.

I am baffled, I see a black plastic collar that appears to be able to be pushed into the metal coupling, but even doing that doesn't seem to release anything.

Any hints as to how to disconnect it? Once I have that disconnected, I know I need to disconnect the high pressure side and the electrical connector. And then back out the two bolts, alternating back and forth a half turn at a time. That part of the process is clear.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-santa-fe/292042-read-before-creating-new-thread.html

You push the hose toward the black clip and slide the back clip into the coupling, then pull the hose off while holding black clip in coupling. Wiggle wiggle.

i personally have never used a special tool for this, here are instructions that might help...

Hyundai Equus: High Pressure Fuel Pump Repair procedures - Fuel Delivery System - Engine Control/Fuel System - Hyundai Equus VI 2009-2018 Service Manual

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 accent 1.6 with code P0087 the problem started that it takes a long time to start you have to keep the key on start position until it starts then the check engine light stays on all the time based on what i have found online its the high pressure pumb the car will not go on high rpm no more than 2500 rpm and wont past 50 kpm have anyone had same issue? that can help me. thanks in advance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts