Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I unplugged the battery and left it over night. Started her up and there was no check engine light. I'm thinking it could be because of the CAI I have installed?

Took it to autozone and he said it showing no codes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It typically only stores it once its been cleared via a scanner. From my understanding, a CEL occurs when the computer detects an issue that lasts more than 2 minutes. On my old car the light would come on but rarely turn it off. It's most likely because of your CAI.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It typically only stores it once its been cleared via a scanner. From my understanding, a CEL occurs when the computer detects an issue that lasts more than 2 minutes. On my old car the light would come on but rarely turn it off. It's most likely because of your CAI.
Hmm, well I guess we'll See if/when it comes back. That's when I'll get it checked. Here's for hoping it was only the CAI.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No, disconnecting the battery clears the code. For sure. No question.
That's right.

I've never had a CEL on my Sonata but had on a Subaru. Usually takes several days and several starts for the ECU to figure out what's going on. It sometimes would take 100-200 miles for the system to be ready for testing again. Usually Autozone folks can tell you whether or not the ECU is ready. So no code may simply mean it's too early to tell. In my county, you'd fail emissions test if you were to go in right after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery as the car would be considered not ready.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Most code is of the 2 trip logic.. need to occur in 2 consecutive drive cycle for code to set as active and store.

Event in 1st and 3rd or later will not set hard code, but may find marked as "PENDING".

You suspect you got issue, plug in scanner and have a go at it.. that be the oonly way you know what circuit PCM has seen fault, then you can proceed with diag based on the code recovered.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most code is of the 2 trip logic.. need to occur in 2 consecutive drive cycle for code to set as active and store.

Event in 1st and 3rd or later will not set hard code, but may find marked as "PENDING".

You suspect you got issue, plug in scanner and have a go at it.. that be the oonly way you know what circuit PCM has seen fault, then you can proceed with diag based on the code recovered.
Well I can't now. As people have stated, disconnecting the battery removed the code. And after the code was "deleted" I guess? That was when I took it to autozone and he said its not showing any codes.

I guess I just have to wait and see if it comes back on.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if there is a problem it will be back...cars don't magically fix themselves. that's what i like about machines over humans. more predictable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts