Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, I had even forgotten I even had a account..
here is my issue. I got a 2001 Sonta with 4 cyl engine. The check engine light came on after I washed the engine. I did not use high pressure. I just used a scrub brush with soap and cleaned everything real good. then lightly hosed off.
I have changed the fuel filter, checked for vacuum leaks. I took a cap and closed off intake and pressurized it to see if I can find a air leak.. I can not hear so good so finding a vacuum leak with motor running was pointless. I also sprayed a sensor safe cleaner to clean the sensor in the intake.. And I used that same cleaner to spay around every vacuum line I could find, no noticeable engine change..
It cranks and runs OK. Has a little hesitation from time to time and bucks every now and again. Nothing major. But I know something is wrong...

I am stuck, i hate taking any car into shop. And i like working on my own stuff and getting it fixed, but this is kicking me hard......

I have cleared the codes 3 times and they come back.. I have not disconnected the battery yet....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look at the short hose betwen PCV valve and intake port.. they like to crack, or collapse and split, so good visual and finger inspect will tell you.

MAF can give 0171, but see more broken PCV hose leaks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleared the code and it still returns.. I have pressurized the intake system and no leaks.. I am at a lose on this..

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Obviously you hosed down the motor and got water someplace it shouldn't be. It's either a wiring connection or device has failed electronically. That's why I always tell people to NEVER wash your motor with water. I'd be taking each wiring connection apart and spraying with electromotive cleaner. Clear the code and see if it returns. Disconnect the ECU relay to clear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took every wiring connection under the hood loose and sprayed with cleaner. I cleared the codes. I will post back if that did trick..

Some of those wiring connects are a pain in **** to get loose..

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Ok, then if you're sure the connections are good, my next guess would be the MAF is shorted out. I'd get one from a junkyard or eBay if I were you since new ones are $200 to $300. Junkyard ones should be $20 and eBay is $50 to $100 for a used one....

You're in luck! I just happen to have a Sonata MAF lying around, but I think it was for a 6 cylinder. I'll send it to you for $20 plus $5 shipping if you want. Send me a PM. Check your part number, this one is:

28164-37200

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I am off to the wrecking yards to see if I can find a used one.. I tried to cross ref yours to see if it would work, but it looks like only th3e V6 used that one.. Thanks for the offer.. They are 165 at Autozone...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I know its not the O2 sensors. I unplugged one at time then reset codes. then drove car till Check engine light came back on. Instead of the p0171 it had 2 others. One for O2 heater and the other for O2 sensor missing.

I then unplugged the MAF sensor and reset codes. After driving i get P0171 again and 2 more codes related to the MAF so I would assume the maf is good too.

My only idea maybe the vacuum switches on the back side of the motor. I tried pressurizing them and they dont leak. But maybe when vacuum on them they are pulling outside air. I have sprayed all kinds of stuff on them with engine running and no change. I am at a total lose on this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts