Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. I am NOT mechanically inclined, unfortunately. I have followed directives and made a search before posting with no success in finding answers I need.

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6.

The Check Engine light came on days ago. I have tried to re-close the gas cap, it's not it. This morning, I am on my way to bring my daughter to school and maybe 500 feet out of my driveway onto the main road, my car loose it's acceleration power. I pulled over and noticed the ESC light was on. I turned off the engine. Turned it back on. Both lights still on. Rinse...repeat with turning it off and turning it on....this time it worked, ESC light was now off but the Check Engine light was still on. I proceeded back onto the road with no more acceleration problems.

If anyone knows what's going on, I'd appreciate a heads up. I am in a difficult financial situation at the moment and really can't afford car repairs. :( I'd like to know what I'm up against....

Please only comment if this exact situation has happened to you before and you actually know what the problem is, or if you are a mechanic and have fixed this type of issue before. "Guessings" will not help me... :(

Thanks everyone. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's hard to resist helping, when you asked so nicely. :whistling:

It could be many different things. Get the codes read out at an auto parts store and report back the numbers. Otherwise we're just guessing, and we wouldn't want to do that. :innocent:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, ok! That is useful help, thank you. :) I didn't know. So I will try to stop by today at my local auto parts shop and will make sure to report here. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (NFV6 @ Sep 10 2010, 02:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355499
Brake Stop Switch
What does a brake stop switch eat in winter? lol (meaning...what does it do?)

Could this have anything to do with the fact that all 4 wheels brakes are finished and need to be replaced? I'm going to buy new brakes and rotors and have someone install them soon but...just wondering. I have never had problems with keeping up with my car before but so much bull happened lately, missing work for my kids injuries, emergency visits, missed days at work, etc. have put a dent in my income and I'm really struggling here with the car issues arising.

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Mileage ??

Quite possibly P-2135, P-2106 and P-1295 set...

Replace TPS updated part (3C100-FFF) and reprogram the PCM with the latest program --> NF 3.3 ECM UPGRADE

How we doing as far as recalls ? All caught up ,,, send me your VIN and I can look..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh cool! Someone is trying to teach me chinese! (I don't understand any of that numbers/codes talk...haha)

Will be 100 000 miles in about 200 miles. Always kept up with oil changes. Semi-synthetic oil.

Recalls? I'm the second owner on that car, got it when it had 19 000 from the previous owner. I don't even think I ever received a recall letter.

Don't have my VIN here in my office. Will have to get back to you on that one. :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (MissTwisties @ Sep 10 2010, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355508
Oh cool! Someone is trying to teach me chinese! (I don't understand any of that numbers/codes talk...haha)

Will be 100 000 miles in about 200 miles. Always kept up with oil changes. Semi-synthetic oil.
You paying for this one... MIL and ABS/ESCC lights is only 5/60

Recalls? I'm the second owner on that car, got it when it had 19 000 from the previous owner.
Recalls are forever to the VIN, until Hyundai drops the recall, they just dumped a bunch of petty stuff earlier this yr..

I don't even think I ever received a recall letter.
Does Hyundai even know the vehicle still on the road and who the current owner is ? Have you been to a Hyundai service aisle siince you owned the vehicle ? Service advisor is "SUPPOSED" to run VIN each visit for warranty and recalls....

Don't have my VIN here in my office. Will have to get back to you on that one. :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I left for the weekend...

Wont be able to run VIN on Hyundai untill Monday

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The brakes are what stops your car. The brake light switch is attached to the brake pedal and tells your brake lights to turn on. The brake light switch failed on a lot of Hyundais and was the subject of a recall. A bad BLS can cause odd behaviours; KC wouldn't engage her cruise control and lit her Check Engine light. It was replaced just before the recall was announced and she's been behaving herself every since.

I understand perfectly about being in a financial pinch. I've just moved from Texas and KC decided it was time for brakes just before the move. I drove as little as possible/babied her/took the bus 'till I could get her brakes done. 110,000+ miles on the original brakes!

The P-2135, P-2106 and P-1295 trouble codes SBR refers to often happen at the same time. BTW, he's not teaching you Chinese; he's teaching you auto-tech-ese :grin:

Welcome aboard, fellow oddball! We're all friends here and will help all we can.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ Sep 10 2010, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355587
The brakes are what stops your car. The brake light switch is attached to the brake pedal and tells your brake lights to turn on. The brake light switch failed on a lot of Hyundais and was the subject of a recall. A bad BLS can cause odd behaviours; KC wouldn't engage her cruise control and lit her Check Engine light. It was replaced just before the recall was announced and she's been behaving herself every since.

I understand perfectly about being in a financial pinch. I've just moved from Texas and KC decided it was time for brakes just before the move. I drove as little as possible/babied her/took the bus 'till I could get her brakes done. 110,000+ miles on the original brakes!

The P-2135, P-2106 and P-1295 trouble codes SBR refers to often happen at the same time. BTW, he's not teaching you Chinese; he's teaching you auto-tech-ese :grin:

Welcome aboard, fellow oddball! We're all friends here and will help all we can.

Interesting Dennis. I just did a 1500 mile roadtrip and had my CEL come on. I floored it to pass a truck, lost power and CEL came on. Limped to the next town at 2500 RPM 48 MPH. Had it floored BTW to keep this up. My cruise light wouldn't come on either. After I stopped and restarted the car everything worked as usual. Drove the final 120 miles to home. Have an appt. Tuesday to have the code pulled and the BLS replaced. Be interesting to see the code. After a few starts and restarts the CEL went out. Car runs good now. Hmmm

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Sep 10 2010, 10:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355593
My cruise light wouldn't come on either.
With electric throttle, there is no cruise module, cruise is now function of PCM and throttle motor.. MIL with throttle related codes, we take away the cruise, as throttle cannot be controlled proper..

After I stopped and restarted the car everything worked as usual. Drove the final 120 miles to home. Have an appt. Tuesday to have the code pulled and the BLS replaced (open 092 recall ??) .

Be interesting to see the code.
Ask them to print a copy of GDS scren shot for you,,, it is only a "click" away from print -- see picture below

I though I had Sonata code set, but I do have the Azera code set... same codes and repair..

The other pic is of the program -- Sonata will read "NF 3.3 ECM UPDATE (K-Line for 06/07,,,, CAN for 08 & later)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, went to Auto Zone. Here are the codes:

P2138
Definition: Accelerator position, sensor malfunction.

P2106
Definition: Limp home valve malfunction

P2422
Definition: canister vent shut valve close malfunction

So what does that mean? Is it an emergency to get it fixed or can it wait until I can come up with the money (within a few weeks, maybe up to a month or two)

How much can this cost after all is said and done...can a regular mechanic repair this, or do I need to take it to the dealer Hyundai, who is gonna rip my wallet apart? (they are ridiculously more expensive than a regular shop, on parts AND labor!)

Thank you...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Sep 10 2010, 02:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355501
Mileage ??

Quite possibly P-2135, P-2106 and P-1295 set...

Replace TPS updated part (3C100-FFF) and reprogram the PCM with the latest program --> NF 3.3 ECM UPGRADE

How we doing as far as recalls ? All caught up ,,, send me your VIN and I can look..
I'm sorry but...reading all this means nothig to me...I don't understand any of it. :( Like I said...I know nothing about any of that stuff. I am not a mechanic. Maybe I would understand if actual name of parts that need repairs or to be changed would help me a bit better.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (MissTwisties @ Sep 11 2010, 01:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355699
Ok, went to Auto Zone. Here are the codes:

P2138
Definition: Accelerator position, sensor malfunction.
Thats an oldie, I thought that was over with.... had a rash of accell pedals a few yr ago.. Replace the accellerator pedal assembly..

I think the last couple we seen we had to order part.. maybe your dealer might still have 1 on shelf.. if not, get part number and call KIA delaer and see if they have it.... or just order it at Hyundai dealer.. simple part to replace, you'll see when new part in hand.

I suppose if you repairing part of the accell system, you may as well consider replace the Throttle Position Sensor with updated part also, then have the NF 3.3 ECM upgrade installed and be all up to date

P2106
Definition: Limp home valve malfunction
Result of bum accell pedal info to the PCM, we ARE NOT going to let you full power capability, we will let you have enough power to move the vehicle

P2422
Definition: canister vent shut valve close malfunction
Disregard for time being, bum throttle info sometimes goofs with Evap self test data, clear it and run with it for time being.

So what does that mean? Is it an emergency to get it fixed or can it wait until I can come up with the money (within a few weeks, maybe up to a month or two)
When is the next time the system is going on the blink on you ?? Maybe at the most inoportune time ?? Get the pedal assembly taken care of and get the latest ECM update done..

How much can this cost after all is said and done...can a regular mechanic repair this, or do I need to take it to the dealer Hyundai, who is gonna rip my wallet apart? (they are ridiculously more expensive than a regular shop, on parts AND labor!)

You can replace the pedal, need a 12mm socket and extension I think it is, 3 or 4 nut hold pedal to floor, unplug the connector off the sensor.. assemble in reverse order, take you at most 10 minutes if you really slow...

Your tech can clear the codes, but the program update is a dealer job, and they can also do an EVAP test while GDS is hooked up.. couple 3 clicks on screen to get at EVAP test, less than a minute for test run and pop up result.. make sure cap is tight and fuel level between 20% and 80% fuel level..

Thank you...

Here is pic of old and new TPS - new style left, old part right,,,, and where it is at

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great....now this: I'm on my way to have an ice cream with my kids. Someone is following me, they stop for ice cream too. He come knock on my window to let me know my brake lights are not functioning. Only the one in the rear window comes on....

Can this be related to those codes they scan on my car or the ESC light coming on....or could it just be that both lights are burned out and just need to be replaced? Ugh...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (MissTwisties @ Sep 12 2010, 07:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355883
Great....now this: I'm on my way to have an ice cream with my kids. Someone is following me, they stop for ice cream too. He come knock on my window to let me know my brake lights are not functioning. Only the one in the rear window comes on....
Cool, at least it is the easy bulbs to replace... at least you had "A" brake light...

Can this be related to those codes they scan on my car or the ESC light coming on....
Nope, (2) bum 2157 light bulbs... those easy to replace

or could it just be that both lights are burned out and just need to be replaced? Ugh...
Yep... (2) bum aged light bulb with open circuit of bulb filament.. :thumbsup:

I'll try to remember to seach VIN in the morning..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, someone just brought up a point on my motorcycle forum...my car is just about 200-300 miles under 100 000 miles. Months ago, I needed the armonic balancer replaced. My mechanic had me call Hyundai directly to inquire about the warranty. They told me that because I was the second owner of the car, that I was no longer covered. They said that as the second owner, I'd only get 50% of the original warranty (50 000 miles).

I was so mad. They don't tell you that when you buy the car. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts