Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't know if this is good news but my dealer was able to recreate the problem on his test drive and they're working on it. Hopefully they'll get it fixed quickly...

·
Registered
15 Posts
By sheer coincidence, I had just written on a different thread that my check engine light had not come on with 4800 miles on the car... It came on yesterday with the 'check charging system' bells and whistles. Dealer said the code related to a loose connection. They cleared the code and 1 day later it's off. I guess now the fun begins...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
QUOTE (deliguy @ Aug 17 2011, 09:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=492028
By sheer coincidence, I had just written on a different thread that my check engine light had not come on with 4800 miles on the car... It came on yesterday with the 'check charging system' bells and whistles. Dealer said the code related to a loose connection. They cleared the code and 1 day later it's off. I guess now the fun begins...
Hey Deliguy, do you know where specifically the connection was loose? Only asking because I had the same issue but my dealer told my Interstate battery post was loose/spinning and that was why I had the charging system issue. I am now wondering if there is a bad batch of batteries that have been put in the Hybrids which is causing all these problems.
Vinny.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dealer said some of the electrical grounding screws used on the car were 'painted' they replaced them with unpainted ones, they think it's poor grounding issue. They're testing again tomorrow.... we'll see if it works. They said so far so good though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not too surprisingly, about 200 mi after leaving the dealership going 75mph up a steep incline in North Jersey the lights beeping charging system problem came back. Loss of power while on a highway in North Jersey going high speed is quite an experience. Dropped my car off again at the local dealership and got a loaner. That's 2/3 for lemon law... although I'm still hoping it'll get fixed....

·
Registered
441 Posts
This issue is the most worrisome. If I just had the CEL it would be really annoying but not that serious. It seems that at least 5 people have had this issue. I would like to know more. Of the people who had this problem, when was your car built, what region is the car being driven, what was your situation i.e. highway vs. city, speed, temperature ect?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ok, I was crossing my fingers that the new battery the dealer installed would take care of my "Check Charging System" problem. Well, last night about 7:30PM I'm driving about 50 MPH or so and I get the same thing-loss of all engine power with the chime and all. Thankfully, again, I was not on an expressway, but this time I had to pull onto a rather narrow shoulder with other cars behind me, so I had to hit the hazzard button and glide to the right to allow the cars behind me to pass. I know I might have been pessimistic about the new battery being the fix, but here we are with the same problem once again. The car is going back to the dealer again this morning. I was planning on taking it for a family trip later on this week, but we will be taking the 6 year old Mazda with 115,000 miles on it while this brand new vehicle sits either in the dealership or in my garage while I make payments on it but can't trust putting my family in it. Needless to say it is very frustrating. I payed $25,000 dollars for a vehicle that I should have to just enter, turn on, and get to my destination without worrying about it shutting down in the midst of my trip. Instead, I feel uneasy about each trip I make now, especially with others in the vehicle. I have already notified the NHTSA about this dangerous issue. Since I am not the only one with this issue, I feel there has to be an electrical problem or software problem with a series of these vehicles.
I would urge anyone who is reading this to report it not only on here, but to the NHTSA to document it and maybe force Hyundai to make it right.
Thanks, Vinny.

·
Registered
350 Posts
QUOTE (vinnyg @ Aug 23 2011, 07:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=494584
I was planning on taking it for a family trip later on this week, but we will be taking the 6 year old Mazda with 115,000 miles on it while this brand new vehicle sits either in the dealership or in my garage while I make payments on it but can't trust putting my family in it. Needless to say it is very frustrating. I payed $25,000 dollars for a vehicle that I should have to just enter, turn on, and get to my destination without worrying about it shutting down in the midst of my trip. Instead, I feel uneasy about each trip I make now, especially with others in the vehicle.
Thanks, Vinny.
Ask the dealer to give you a loaner for the trip and see if they go for it. It will give them more time to look at your car and you'll be able to use a newer car than the Mazda. As you said you were expecting to be able to use a high MPG car new car and now have one you cannot trust.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
QUOTE (reglee51 @ Aug 22 2011, 08:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=494061
Not too surprisingly, about 200 mi after leaving the dealership going 75mph up a steep incline in North Jersey the lights beeping charging system problem came back. Loss of power while on a highway in North Jersey going high speed is quite an experience. Dropped my car off again at the local dealership and got a loaner. That's 2/3 for lemon law... although I'm still hoping it'll get fixed....
I was going to comment when you posted but held off about the paint on the grounding screws resolution. I honestly think Hyundai has no fix or solution to this problem, and the service technicians are just doing the best they can with a car that they had dropped in their laps by the manufacturer. Lets look at it from a common sense standpoint. All these cars are mass produced in factories. Why would paint on grounding screws affect one particular vehicle and not others? Wouldn't all Hybrids that were produced there have the same issue if all their grounding screws were painted? The issue with my battery post being defective was believeable, only because it is possible that I had a defective battery from Interstate. Clearly, that was not the problem in my case.
Now I must say this has nothing to do with batteries, paint, weather, or how the car is driven. It simply has to do either with the electrical system or software issues that they have not been able to isolate yet. The only problem, as in your case and mine, is that it is a serious safety issue. I can only imagine that you were traveling the Turnpike or Parkway, where cars are going past you at 80-85 MPH when this happened. Throw in that you may have your family in the car when that happens, and it is a very serious matter. I honestly believe that the paint on the screws excuse from your dealer was sad and they really should have researched a little more thoroughly and hope they do so with mine today. I'm glad you were't in an accident and no one was injured.
Wish us all luck that they get to the bottom of this dangerous defect.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yea, I agree. Although I'm pretty sure this wasn't a local dealerships suggestion. I do have a case with corporate technicians with a case number. I think Hyundai corporate knows and are trying various things with each new case, battery with yours, they checked all my wiring and then the grounding bolts on mine. I'd be very surprised if it was a basic poor grounding or poor connection problem as they seem to be suggesting with our two cars. Due to the severity of the issue and the potential danger, I would not be happy until they find the root cause and ensure that it will not happen again. It is definitely an extremely dangerous problem. In my opinion until a root cause is found, all Sonata Hybrids may have this same issue. I hope Hyundai does not wait for a serious accident to start taking a serious look at this.

In PA we have 3 dealer visits for a single issue or 30 days at the dealership overall for lemon law. A designated Lemon can never be sold again. It'll be in Hyundai's best interest to acknowledge the problem and fix it ASAP or buy back all the cars and compensate all the early adopters. One minor hiccup in the amazing rise of the company is better than one major PR disaster if someone gets hurt because of this resulting in a forced recall.

You should definitely get a loaner, one dealership was out of loaners and got me a rental, the current dealership got me a loaner (both were 2.4L 2011 Sonata's).

Everyone who is having this same issue, please keep everyone else updated on these forums along with details. Some of the other issues pointed out are minor (CEL, left pull) this one is really a safety issue.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Got a call last night from the dealer and as of yet could not figure out the issue. They still have it today and hope they keep it as long as it takes until this is repaired once and for all. Just a side note-while I was there I ran into a guy with an older Elantra getting his transmission replaced who took the shuttle with me and he told me during his last dealer visit there was a female Hybrid owner complaining to them about her vehicle. Seems I'm not the only unhappy camper with a Hybrid purchased there, not that in any way it's the dealer's fault. They are doing the best they can for me.
I'll will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had posted my car's similar problem - warning lights and sounds, air conditioning failure, loss of acceleration. It has been at the dealership for the last few days being looked at by Hyundai engineers. I just got a call that they found the problem. The service manager couldn't remember the name of the part, but he said it was a $5,000 (at their expense, of course)
part that controls whether the car is in electric or engine mode. He called it the brains of the car. He said the part will not be "released" until Sept. 1. I hope this is it. I will post the name of the part when I am told what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had posted my car's similar problem - warning lights and sounds, air conditioning failure, loss of acceleration. It has been at the dealership for the last few days being looked at by Hyundai engineers. I just got a call that they found the problem. The service manager couldn't remember the name of the part, but he said it was a $5,000 (at their expense, of course)
part that controls whether the car is in electric or engine mode. He called it the brains of the car. He said the part will not be "released" until Sept. 1. I hope this is it. I will post the name of the part when I am told what it is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (Tink21 @ Aug 26 2011, 04:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496175
Yes, please post exactly what this part is when you find out. The question is, since a new version of this part is being "released" on September 1st, do all the hybrids need to be upgraded with this part, or not?

By the way, what part, short of the entire engine, costs $5,000? The whole car is $26,000 and a large chunk of that is the batteries!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
QUOTE (Tink21 @ Aug 26 2011, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496175
WOW, this may be the answer to my problem! My car has been at the dealer since Tuesday and I have been in contact with my advisor numerous times who told me they were going over the car top to bottom and could not find the problem with it, and they now have engineers involved. They will be giving me a loaner tomorrow so they could do some more research. Now, I come back from a 2 day vacation to find this post. As much as I feel bad that you are dealing with this, I must say that I am sort of glad that there is hope that they now have the problem isolated and a fix is possibly in the near future.
Like I stated before, I love the car otherwise, and plan on keeping it as long as possible if it runs correctly. Hope this resolves all of our problems with this serious safety defect once and for all. Please post the name of it as soon as possible.
Thanks and good luck. Vinny.

·
Registered
23 Posts
have engine light (of course) and recently 'check charging system'. i've scheduled w/ local dealer week after labor day. like everyone else, my work schedule doesn't allow me to goto a service dept every time there are issues. this is also one of main reasons i trade in cars every 3 yrs. i don't lease because i drive too many miles. i am able to turn off and on the car as temporary fix to check charging system buzzer. today this happens to be 3 times during a short ride and then the car just DIED. It wouldn't start. I was in the middle of a major street w/ my daughter. I had a friend pick up my daughter while I wait for Hyundai Roadside Assistance to toll my car. It take 1.5hrs for the toll truck. It's over 100 degrees here in TX. I was worried about my daughter's safety first. This is not right. Please get your car to the dealer as soon as you get this light/buzzer. Your car will eventually not start. Please carry hyundai roadside assistance phone number. While this light comes on, you'll still have enough power to move to safer location. I will aggressively pursue Hyundai head quarters with all these problems w/ this car

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
QUOTE (jolind72 @ Aug 28 2011, 08:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496705
have engine light (of course) and recently 'check charging system'. i've scheduled w/ local dealer week after labor day. like everyone else, my work schedule doesn't allow me to goto a service dept every time there are issues. this is also one of main reasons i trade in cars every 3 yrs. i don't lease because i drive too many miles. i am able to turn off and on the car as temporary fix to check charging system buzzer. today this happens to be 3 times during a short ride and then the car just DIED. It wouldn't start. I was in the middle of a major street w/ my daughter. I had a friend pick up my daughter while I wait for Hyundai Roadside Assistance to toll my car. It take 1.5hrs for the toll truck. It's over 100 degrees here in TX. I was worried about my daughter's safety first. This is not right. Please get your car to the dealer as soon as you get this light/buzzer. Your car will eventually not start. Please carry hyundai roadside assistance phone number. While this light comes on, you'll still have enough power to move to safer location. I will aggressively pursue Hyundai head quarters with all these problems w/ this car
Wow, now this is becoming all too much of a common occurrence, and a dangerous one I must add. I really hope the engineers find the fix for this quick.
My car had been at the dealer since last week, and I am in a like new Sonata Turbo Limited loaner since Saturday for now. My tech said he sent a load of info from my car to the engineers and is awaiting their response to see what must be done. Let them keep it as long as they have to to make it right. I don't mind the leather and sunroof for now. Just not getting the same mileage, though.
I would definately document it with the NHTSA. The more people who file a complaint about it with them, the better, as far as I am concerned.
Good luck, Vinny.

·
Registered
23 Posts
stopped by the dealer to drop of my keys from prior tolling. Hyundai telling us it's not problem IS now a problem. I am gathering all the information since my purchase to file a lemon law in TX. I am not sure if I should file myself for only $35 filing fee (going through arbitration) or hire a Lemon lawyer. I am not type of person to persue something like this until where i feel it's a major safety issue. I have been defending hyundai so far but NO MORE. Anyone w/o any problems will eventually have these issues. I was one of first person to own this vehicle. I have 6600 miles on my car. I don't think it matters which month your car was built or shipped. I believe Hyundai manufactured this vehicle pre maturely before car being throughly tested. I have not hear back from my service manager today. Local dealer was nice enough to give me a loaner. I don't blame any dealerships. I blame Hyundai for not taking responsibly of their product. So far none of field engineers nor mechanics know how to fix this car. This is really sad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow its scary hearing this.... I have a question, when the car looses power due to the check charging system failure do you loose power steering (like does the wheel tighten up so its hard to maneuver the car?) I am at 3000 miles, and am still dealing with the check engine light problem, and im really nervous that I am going to be on the highway one day, and all of a sudden my car will power off and I cannot maneuver the vehicle, and I end up in a bad accident.

21 - 40 of 350 Posts