Hyundai Forums banner

341 - 350 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read the thread & I tried it. It seemed to help but.....I was hoping to find a campaign or recall to eliminate the cold start. I also have a GMC Yukon hybrid so I am aware of the "hybrid feel". I was just hoping that they had a more permanent fix instead of manipulating the car to make it run better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The cold jerk was improved with the TG5 Multi-ECU Update but it is not completely eliminated. It is the one weakness left in our Hybrid. It is result of a control strategy that was necessary for quick emissions compliance but not so good for drivability smoothness.

You can curse at EPA the first minute or so for your jerk:) After warmed up it is smooth.

Hybrid designs are complex and full of trade offs. Compared to competition it is this Hybrid design's weakness, but it has advantages in other areas such as no whiny CVT noise you have a regular 6AT transmission like a regular car. As everybody knows life is full of compromises!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Clean air

The cold jerk was improved with the TG5 Multi-ECU Update but it is not completely eliminated. It is the one weakness left in our Hybrid. It is result of a control strategy that was necessary for quick emissions compliance but not so good for drivability smoothness.

You can curse at EPA the first minute or so for your jerk:) After warmed up it is smooth.

Hybrid designs are complex and full of trade offs. Compared to competition it is this Hybrid design's weakness, but it has advantages in other areas such as no whiny CVT noise you have a regular 6AT transmission like a regular car. As everybody knows life is full of compromises!
Since one benefit of a hybrid is less emissions, I'll trade a little cold jerk for clean air. Truthfully, I hardly notice it ( the brakes do seem to grab the first time in the cold).

Thanks CTD for the explanation...everything is better when you understand why:)

·
Registered
441 Posts

I have to agree with all of the above. Love the car compared to other hybrids. Dude, comment on the lifetime battery warranty and if the early adopters will get the same reassurance.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I know this is an old thread but here is another example of how the charging system problem was still happening as of November of 2015, and she lost power on the freeway but was luckily able to get off the road. Can be a very dangerous situation in heavy traffic with trucks going by at 75 mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6xk3gYE-NA

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 sonata hybrid and I have driven 85k miles. I got this same issue today. Took it the dealership but they can’️t figure out anything. Ran diagnostics And said that I have to get a new battery worth 380 before they can do anything more. They have already charged 150 to run the diagnostics. They don’t know what the problem is. Can u all suggest what should I do. I towed my car from there to another auto repair shop as I found the dealer to be uncooperative. This one is not hyundai dealer but was highly recommended in the area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I recently had this issue with my sonata hybrid limited 2013, I'm from El Salvador and here we haven't an official dealer for hybrid cars. I imported my car from EEUU last year.

Regarding the issue, I have the same "Check charging system" issue and my car doesn't work anymore, The lights, A/C, speakers, etc turn on when I press the start button, but the car doesn't run and never gets the "Ready" status. My mechanic has being working on it but he has little experience with hybrid cars.

Any advice for me? any possible way to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hi all,

I recently had this issue with my sonata hybrid limited 2013, I'm from El Salvador and here we haven't an official dealer for hybrid cars. I imported my car from EEUU last year.

Regarding the issue, I have the same "Check charging system" issue and my car doesn't work anymore, The lights, A/C, speakers, etc turn on when I press the start button, but the car doesn't run and never gets the "Ready" status. My mechanic has being working on it but he has little experience with hybrid cars.

Any advice for me? any possible way to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
Without proper Hyundai equipment to scan the entire car' modules,, my best answer is just a wild guess... and your fella -->"but he has little experience with hybrid cars" could really make a mess of things,, or get himself hurt or killed playing with high voltage electricity

FIND a Hyundai dealer proficient with Hybrid

My wild estimated $950 (USA dollar) guess,, PRA Assembly with Service Connector open circuit

Reactions: phftw
341 - 350 of 350 Posts