Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i have a question about this car. Lately the car has become ungovernable, due to worn suspensions. I know that i have to change the shock absorber, expecially in the rear axle, but this car embarks and sinks too much, especially when cornering it bends a lot, so i have some doubt about the springs. I found in some thread in the web, also of other hyundai models, that the springs tend to yield and fall. For example: https://www.drive2.ru/l/9377191/ , in the video when it compares the old and new spring, the old is 2-3 cm lower, which is not really a good thing, because it indicates that the spring has deformed in a "plastic" way.

The problem is that, to check well the spring i need to disassembly it, and in the front means to disassemble everything! So I thought it might be an indicator the height of the vehicle on the two axles, so as to understand if i have to buy only the shock absorbers (and relative supports) or also the springs.

Actually i found only the specification of free weight spring height, front 347,5mm, rear 330,5 mm.

About the shock absorber, actually i replaced the front with sachs turbogas, that after 4-5 year (and about 60.000km) are already gone, so i'm thinking to buy all KYB excel-g shock absorber. Does anyone have experiences on this, or could you recommend something reliable?

Thank you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you buy struts from local shops such as advance auto or autozone, they will come with buy 3 get 1 for free and lifetime warranty, all you need is to keep the receipt. I personaly prefer monroe oespectrum and kyb excel-g. I see some places selling gabriel ultra, I never used them but seems OK. Don't buy sensen

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you buy struts from local shops such as advance auto or autozone, they will come with buy 3 get 1 for free and lifetime warranty, all you need is to keep the receipt. I personaly prefer monroe oespectrum and kyb excel-g. I see some places selling gabriel ultra, I never used them but seems OK. Don't buy sensen
I live in italy and unfortunately i don't have these two shop. But online, from different stores that ship in italy (who belong to the same german wharehouse), i can buy all the 4 shock absorber (all the four kyb excel-g), the 4 strut mount, the two front SKF and the two rear MAPCO, and the 2 front spring bushing for 300 euro. To buy the 4 springs i have to add other 160 euro. It's a good price compared to oem, but they are not so few! So i would like to understand if it is necessary to spend the money to change also the springs, or not.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your shocks are bad, you will have the same symptoms. So your springs may not be bad. If you decide to change the springs, make sure you know the spring rate compared to your stock springs. The higher the rate, the harder the car will ride. I'm not sure if the video was comparing stock springs to aftermarket, but if so they height difference may not be from fatigue.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If a spring is bad the car will sit uneven on a flat surface. Just park the car on a flat area and measure from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch and if it's close to the same on both sides and looks normal their OK, My guess is the shocks and yes KYB are a good brand. When shocks fail the car becomes very hard to handle when cornering or after hitting bumps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a spring is bad the car will sit uneven on a flat surface. Just park the car on a flat area and measure from the top of the tyre to the wheel arch and if it's close to the same on both sides and looks normal their OK, My guess is the shocks and yes KYB are a good brand. When shocks fail the car becomes very hard to handle when cornering or after hitting bumps.
The check that you describe is for broken spring, but on mine there are no broken spring, otherwise now i would have flown through the mountains of the Apennines from a bendover overpass!
My car is perfectly straight if parked, but at the rear it seems lower than in previous years, but it could also be my impression, for this i would need the height to check. I don't know if exhausted shock absorbers could cause this. Indeed, i remember that after the replacement of the OEMs with the sachs, the front car got up.

If i replace the spring, obviously i will buy the corresponding replacement. For Kyb is RG6551 at rear, RG3209 at front.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
No it also checks for a sagged spring which means it's soft. Inspect the shocks for any leaks and if their OK do a bounce test. Push the car down and let it rebound a few times and stop. The car should stop bouncing within one bounce. If it goes 2 or more the shocks/struts are no good. Hyundai did have a problem some years ago where the strut seized and the would not bounce. That made them dangerous to dive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car bounce a lot and too much. Rear it bounce at least 2 times a lot, and continue to micro bounce for 5-6 times. The front bounce a lot 1 times and stop, but continue to have micro bounce for 4-5 times.

Inviato dal mio Moto Z2 Play utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I would definitely change the shocks and struts if that's the case. Springs are an option if you wanted to include them when you have the car apart. I would not buy genuine shocks I don't think their as good as some of the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, at the and, after several search about, i decided to buy the shock absorber and the spring for the rear axle. Reading different thread on russian forum (thanks to google translate for this :D ), different people complain the same problem that i have on the rear axle. Too much soft, it lowers too much, even with little weight, and so on. For example: https://www.drive2.ru/l/454467739252162585/ . And there are other several topic where people, expecially after mounting the LPG system, have replaced the crappy back springs even with higher springs, with identical diameters but greater heights and rigidity, coming from Ford cars (for example the KYB RC1045).

Considering that i don't have LPG and that, in the page i linked, the person gave positive feedback on the weight resistance of the KYB "OEM" springs (RG6551), compared to the Kia/Hyundai OEM, and considering the lower price, i decided to buy:

- 2x KYB Excel-G Shock Absorber for around 36 euro each
- 2x KYB RG6551 Spring for around 26 euro each
- 2X shock absorber struts mount (MAPCO brand) for around 27 euro each

As soon as I can replace the pieces I will compare the old springs with the new ones, also in terms of dimensions (thickness and total height).

If the outcome is positive, next month I will proceed to replace the front, but at the front i will replace only the shock absorbers (with KYB ) and struts mount. Reading on, the replacement of the front springs did not bring any benefits in terms of weight resistance, probably because kia/hyundai calibrated better the front springs considering that the weight is fixed for the engine!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can I know what is so bad about sensen? I'm using it and seems fine for the time being.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A huge difference. The old spring compared with new are only 1cm shorter, but the car now is 2 cm higher with new spring. Before was 63, now 65 cm. With me on the rear seats before was 60cm, now Around 63.
The old shock absorber are completely gone. Pressing it i can ear air bubble into the oil, i can Press with pratically no Force and they don't come out never.

With new shock and spring now i'm not able to Press the car more than 4-5 cm and i must use a lot of brute Force. With the older i was able to Press the rear for 10-15cm with only One hand!

Attached some photos.

Inviato dal mio Moto Z2 Play utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So whats the car like on the road now?
It's pratically another car! Stable, rock solid. No more hopping on the rear. In the cornering the car stay on the curve line without anomalous behavior of the rear. I tried with 3 person and the rear does not have problem with weight. I highly recommend the replacement of the spring on the rear, in addition to the oem shock absorbers.

However, as it behaves, i do not even feel the need to replace them at the front, that however have already been changed once about 60.000km ago, and still respond well enough, even if the front hopping a little bit compared to "new" rear (but at the front i have sachs shock absorber and they were practically always like now and are less hard then kyb!). I will consider the replacement of the front around 150.00km (now it has 135.000). And, anyway, i will change the springs also to the front. If the quality of the front springs is like the oem at the rear, replace also the front spring it's practically mandatory! Now i have the rear harder and higher than front, as it should be because it is necessary to compensate for any loads!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts