Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai i20 SE Connect
177 Posts
My i20 SE Connect's Owner's Manual has a 2020 copyright year - but there is available online a 2021-copyright English-language Manual for UK/Australian RHD i20s. The latter Manual is a few pages longer (and omits the useless index) but, being online, can easily be searched. Although there are thirty-three "48V" mentions, none of these refer to a "Check 48V battery" warning message, nor provide any technical information about the lithium-ion battery that is likely to be useful to an owner in the event of a problem with the hybrid system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This warning happened in my son’s I20 Premium. After a while the dash went black, absolutely dead - also no PAS. Stopped for coffee and it sprang into life. Drove a few miles and happened again - blackout. Called Hyundai Assist (AA). AA man arrived and car sprang into life. Luckily the AA man followed him for a few miles when it happened again. AA filed a report and towed him home, then the car to Hyundai garage. It’s been there ever since.
hyundai arranged hire car Audi A1 35 auto - nice car.
update on our problem:
Dealer ran tests (technician drove it home, it died and had to be towed back to garage). Hyundai said replace the 12v battery so that’s what they did. When we went to collect it I asked if it had latest software update and they had tested the battery is charging correctly. Yes all OK now They said. We sat in and turned it on and 48v battery warning came on so he’s back in the hire car.

We’ve asked for it to be transported back to the supplying dealer. If they don’t fix it in a reasonable timescale we will start the rejection process - but what to get instead?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Supplying dealer Minstergate in East Yorkshire have effectively washed their hands of it. Up to us to contact Hyundai UK and gave us the number (nice of them).
So our car is now at a dealer 4 hours away which was the nearest to us during the holiday and there it sits. They don’t know what to do with it, they want rid of it. Supplying dealer (Minstergate) don’t want to get involved. Car was 6 weeks old when it broke down. We bought it for the 5 year warranty. I am fuming!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What a nightmare. Legally it’s Minstegates problem and that’s what Hyundai will say. However they don’t seem efficient as you get allocated a person and my girl only works part time two days a week. Then she was on holiday so I’m still waiting after 2 months. I tried telling them the car was unfit for purpose and it was their fault as the manual
Made no mention of the 48v battery or the warning of what to do. Seems they plan to ignore me. You may ask to speak to a manager to cut the crap. Hyundai Assist have a Hyundai expert you could maybe contact, he was more helpful than the garage or Hyundai about the problem and told me the garage should be providing the lease car.
Good luck
My car was marketed at £2000 more thanI paid and sold quickly. I doubt the warning has been fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum and found it via a google search looking for my car issue.

I bought a demo 20 plate hyundai i20 mild hybrid with around 4000miles last August and have now done 27000 miles and use it for driver instruction. Today mine came up with the red alternator battery light and then after a couple of starts came up with the check 48v battery message. I am told my another instructor he is on his 6th Starter/Alternator replacement as this part keeps failing. I am glad mine has lasted 27000 miles.

Due to other peoples warning I new to come back home and not keep driving it so have Hyundai Assist booked for tomorrow morning to come and have a look at take it to my dealer.

I noticed in the picture above the battery light was not on. Here is a picture of mine with the red battery alternator light lit.

I will keep this updated with the outcome.

Cheers

James
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi James
Sorry you’re having this problem too With an added complication. I’m not sure the relationship between the two batteries is fully understood.

I don’t think the hybrid has a starter motor, it has an MHSG (oh don’t they love acronyms). That’s a Mild Hybrid Stater Generator which transmits generated electricity to the hybrid battery and uses the battery to get the engine going again.

Hope Hyundai Assist can find a garage able to take your car in. In Glasgow there’s a 6 week wait minimum.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update.

Car was looked at on Tuesday and a new MHSG is needed. It's on back order with an ETA of 15th September.

Hyundai have taken the hire car back and will pay me £20 a day towards hiring a dual control car on a pay and reclaim basis (understandingly they won't provide both)

Cheers

James

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Supplying dealer Minstergate in East Yorkshire have effectively washed their hands of it. Up to us to contact Hyundai UK and gave us the number (nice of them).
So our car is now at a dealer 4 hours away which was the nearest to us during the holiday and there it sits. They don’t know what to do with it, they want rid of it. Supplying dealer (Minstergate) don’t want to get involved. Car was 6 weeks old when it broke down. We bought it for the 5 year warranty. I am fuming!
Has the car been mended Graybags?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My i20 SE Connect's Owner's Manual has a 2020 copyright year - but there is available online a 2021-copyright English-language Manual for UK/Australian RHD i20s. The latter Manual is a few pages longer (and omits the useless index) but, being online, can easily be searched. Although there are thirty-three "48V" mentions, none of these refer to a "Check 48V battery" warning message, nor provide any technical information about the lithium-ion battery that is likely to be useful to an owner in the event of a problem with the hybrid system.
Thanks for the update. please can you post the link?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai i20 SE Connect
177 Posts
I can't post a direct link, but I can point you to a website that carries Hyundai Owner's Manuals for various models for various years and in various languages.

List of Hyundai models

The most recent i20 Manual (2021 Hyundai i20 Owner's Manual - RHD (UK, Australia) has a 2021 copyright, but you'd need to download it yourself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
same issue of a Kia - no solution.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Lots of similar issues with Ioniqs

21 - 40 of 40 Posts