Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this car a year ago and it has so far had issues with ISG and CSS not working - fixed after 3 months and 3 visits by a new 12v battery, violent clutch judder when cold or wet and strati g car under load Eg going uphill that has not been fixed after 4 visits, as they can’t reproduce it and don’t believe me though I’ve driven for 55 years with no previous clutch problems,

I recently had a Check 48v battery warning. No mention of this in the handbook in fact no mention of the 48 battery at all in it!!. Was advised not to drive it by workshop and RAC but no Hyundai garage could take it for 6 weeks so Hyundai assist couldn’t give me a lease car. Phoned manager who agreed to put car on my drive and sanction a Hyundai Assist lease car. I’m told 6 weeks of a Mini Cooper cost over £1000 a week. The warning disappeared moving the car to my drive.

I wrote to Hyundai about the handbook, the clutch the ISG and CSS and this new one and handbook. not sure what the garage did at the service but it needed a new battery module which took a month to get. I asked them to set up a helpline as that could have saved them £6000 in car leasing charges.

Had the car fixed with new module on June 28th only to find it reappeared today. FFS

Garage told me this time if it was an amber triangle it was safe to drive, a flashing or red one wasn’t. was able to drive it for 55miles home but it looks like it needs another visit.

i have seen reports of this warning on Kia’s 48v and other Hyundai models.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai i20 SE Connect
177 Posts
Not a happy tale...

Current Hyundai i20 48V MHEV models are packed with 'features' (some useful, others infuriating) and Hyundai loves to use acronyms to refer to them. But these vehicles do not have a Cruise Stop Start feature and there's no "CSS" acronym in the Owner's Manual. There is a Start Stop Coasting feature (7 entries in the Manual) and the acronym for that is "SSC".

(The Urban Dictionary offers a variety of meanings for the acronyms "CSS" and "SSC", but none of these mention cruising or coasting.)

Urban Dictionary: CSS

Urban Dictionary: ssc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a happy tale...

Current Hyundai i20 48V MHEV models are packed with 'features' (some useful, others infuriating) and Hyundai loves to use acronyms to refer to them. But these vehicles do not have a Cruise Stop Start feature and there's no "CSS" acronym in the Owner's Manual. There is a Start Stop Coasting feature (7 entries in the Manual) and the acronym for that is "SSC".

(The Urban Dictionary offers a variety of meanings for the acronyms "CSS" and "SSC", but none of these mention cruising or coasting.)

Urban Dictionary: CSS

Urban Dictionary: ssc
You are right it’s SSC. Got my C in the wrong place.
Just to confuse owners more, the message Sailing appears with a sailing ship above it when SSC is operating. That isn’t mentioned in the handbook.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's interesting as - although I knew that the word "sailing" or "gliding" are used by some car manufacturers for a coasting-type feature - I wasn't aware that Hyundai actually displayed "sailing" on the dashboard together with a sail-boat icon when SSC is in operation. (As I never drive my i20 in ECO mode, I've yet to experience the joys of SSC.)

I notice that "sailing" mode was referred to in this August 2021 no-holds-barred i20 review.

Too many nags, not enough horses – Russ Swan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's interesting as - although I knew that the word "sailing" or "gliding" are used by some car manufacturers for a coasting-type feature - I wasn't aware that Hyundai actually displayed "sailing" on the dashboard together with a sail-boat icon when SSC is in operation. (As I never drive my i20 in ECO mode, I've yet to experience the joys of SSC.)

I notice that "sailing" mode was referred to in this August 2021 no-hold-barred i20 review.

Too many nags, not enough horses – Russ Swan
Mine is doing it regularly now, never driven any mode but eco.

here’s the warning I’m getting
If only they told you what to check and how!

Steering part Speedometer Motor vehicle Tachometer Vehicle
Steering part Speedometer Motor vehicle Tachometer Vehicle

·
Registered
177 Posts
Although the Owner's Manual for current i20 models omits any mention of the "Check 48V System" warning, I notice that it's in the Manual for a 2018 Hyundai Tucson as shown in the attachment below.

The generic Master Warning Light (orange triangle + exclamation mark) is referred to here

Hyundai Orange Triangle with an Exclamation Point - DASH-LIGHTS.COM

but the reaction of the vehicle's driver is bound to depend on the content of the associated textual message. If the message warns that the windscreen washer fluid is low, a driver can easily replenish the reservoir, or if the message warns of a lights malfunction, a driver can at least carry out a visual check. But if the message relates to the vehicle's electronics, any 'checking' will be outside the driver's expected capability.

This link may be of general interest to owners of recent i20s - though it won't help with your car's 48V issue.

2021 Hyundai i20 Warning Lights & Dashboard Symbols | WarningLights.co

Font Rectangle Number Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
177 Posts
A GOOGLE Advanced search on "check 48V system (if equipped)" resulted in three hits.

1: A link to a 2018 manual for the Tucson model. This was on a hyundaimotors.co.il website (ie. on a Israel website).

2: A link to a 2019 RHD (UK/Australia) Owner's Manual for the Tucson model.

3: A link to a 2022 Owner's Manual for the KIa "Stonic" model.

(It's quite likely that the "Check 48V system" warning message is referred to in other Hyundai/Kia Owner's Manuals for vehicles that have the 48V mild-hybrid system, and it's just the three manuals I've mentioned above that GOOGLE manages to spot.)

These manuals are very large and come in several languages. Much of the UK Owner's Manual for a 48V i20 will have been copied over from the manual for the current i20's predecessor (that did not have the 48V system). The answer to your question is simply that the warning appearing in the Tucson/Stonic manuals SHOULD also appear in your car's manual, but its omission was not noticed. Quality checking of technical documentation is a nightmare and the fact that something is missing won't be noticed unless the person creating the manual becomes aware (or is made aware) of the omission.

(Out of curiosity I looked at a few non-English-language manuals for the current i20 to see if they warned about checking the 48V system. They did not and - although the text of such manuals is not in English - it's evident that the messages that appear on the car's dashboard will not match. So, for example, a French, German or Spanish buyer of a LHD i20 will get an Owner's Manual in their native tongue, but the car will 'talk' to them in English.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
On Facebook there is (or was) a Hyundai i20-related message that began

Had a warning pop up on the dash, "check 48v system". That turned into an error message for every system the car has, before losing all power.

(I can't locate the Facebook entry itself, so I've no idea what happened subsequently.)

This fairly recent Kia Owners Club forum thread also refers to the "Check 48V system" message and suggests that, when the message appears, the ability of Hyundai/Kia technicians to accurately identify the cause and satisfactorily address the issue is very questionable.

Kia Ceed 1.5 MHEV 2021 "Check 48V system"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On Facebook there is (or was) a Hyundai i20-related message that began

Had a warning pop up on the dash, "check 48v system". That turned into an error message for every system the car has, before losing all power.

(I can't locate the Facebook entry itself, so I've no idea what happened subsequently.)

This fairly recent Kia Owners Club forum thread also refers to the "Check 48V system" message and suggests that, when the message appears, the ability of Hyundai/Kia technicians to accurately identify the cause and satisfactorily address the issue is very questionable.

Kia Ceed 1.5 MHEV 2021 "Check 48V system"
Thanks for that, it does not look hopeful. I have had tyre pressure warnings several times too. I have told the garage and Hyundai I wish to reject the car.
Hyundai Assist won’t provide a car till August and say that’s up to the garage.
Their Hyundai expert said is was a software fault needing an upgrade but it’s safe to drive as the warning is advisory. Sounds like that might not be true if it’s the same as the Kia.

The garage manager and sales manager are both on holiday.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It may well be the case that a software revision is available for your car, but applying such revisions will normally be a quick and straightforward procedure of the type that Hyundai dealerships regularly perform.

If there's a genuine fault with your car's 48V system, a software revision won't cure it. If the warning message does not relate to a real fault, but results from (say) the car's 48V system's parameters falling outside a technical 'window' and the proposed upgrade amends those parameters so that the message is suppressed, so be it.

Unless the Hyundai expert actually knows what's causing the warning message and that the car is safe to drive, it's simplistic to claim that, merely because the message is accompanied by an orange triangle symbol, that's an assurance of safety.

Having said that, I don't think you are in a strong position to reject the car as it's drivable and you are continuing to drive it. This is really a warranty issue, but - for the reasons you have mentioned above - it's proving difficult to address rapidly. I'd be tempted to go back to the garage, tell them that you've been advised by a Hyundai expert that a software upgrade should cure the problem and 'encourage' the garage to try this asap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This warning happened in my son’s I20 Premium. After a while the dash went black, absolutely dead - also no PAS. Stopped for coffee and it sprang into life. Drove a few miles and happened again - blackout. Called Hyundai Assist (AA). AA man arrived and car sprang into life. Luckily the AA man followed him for a few miles when it happened again. AA filed a report and towed him home, then the car to Hyundai garage. It’s been there ever since.
hyundai arranged hire car Audi A1 35 auto - nice car.

The dealer doesn’t know what’s wrong and can’t fix it. They say nothing is wrong but my son won’t take it back until they at least attempt something. The dealer is too busy to deal with it and aren’t trained anyway so there it sits.

Four weeks and counting. Car at dealers, Hyundai paying the daily hire charge. We’ll leave it 3 weeks more and then push for a replacement. Car is 3 months old. What a waste.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear that. It’s very frustrating. Is the car now ok?

im getting rid of my car. Luckily Im getting just short of what I paid for it as a trade in as the car went up in value.
The fault on my car has now disappeared after a run down my drive! Was there when I got in and had gone when I got back in.
I loved the car but they won’t look at my intermittent clutch judder and I’m not willing to wait 6 weeks for the car to get looked at every time there’s a problem.
You’re in a better position to reject yours. I gather it costs £1300 a week for car hire,you would think Hyundai would be chasing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear that. It’s very frustrating. Is the car now ok?

im getting rid of my car. Luckily Im getting just short of what I paid for it as a trade in as the car went up in value.
The fault on my car has now disappeared after a run down my drive! Was there when I got in and had gone when I got back in.
I loved the car but they won’t look at my intermittent clutch judder and I’m not willing to wait 6 weeks for the car to get looked at every time there’s a problem.
You’re in a better position to reject yours. I gather it costs £1300 a week for car hire,you would think Hyundai would be chasing.
Wondered if your car manual says anything about the warning or even something on the 48v battery.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts