Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new to the forums. Just bought my daughter a black 2011 SE and didn't realize until now that it originally had a dual exhaust had been replaced with a generic single-side exhaust (apparently the stock system had been damaged). I had the Hyundai dealership check it out and other than sounding like a paper shredder, they said it is functional and not affecting engine performance. (I'm sure it is to some degree, but the car seems to run well and accelerate fine.)

The Borla and Magnaflow cat-backs are about $900 and the Jun is even more - not looking to spend that much. The dealer wants about $900 for the stock one, too. Basically looking for something decent that fills both holes (no comment, lol) and doesn't require modding the rear facia cutouts.

Any ideas? Or is the only cheaper alternative to take it to a muffler shop and get a generic left side installed and have them weld on some decent chrome tips?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Did you ask the dealer about the cost of a single exhaust, like the standard GLS has?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ask the dealer about the cost of a single exhaust, like the standard GLS has?
I didn't ... I also didn't realize (until now) that the GLS has the same 2.4L and only a single exhaust. If so then maybe the dual is only good for the +2 HP difference and the only other drawback is that our car will have two cutouts but no tip on the left side.

I'm also sure my daughter will care much less than I do. :D

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
If your not concerned about performance or stainless set up, Im sure you can a muffler shop to work up a basic 1 into 2 setup and a couple chrome tips for a lot less than $ 900.

The Borla and magna Flow your paying for a performance low restrictive muffler / s and most are stainless steel etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your not concerned about performance or stainless set up, Im sure you can a muffler shop to work up a basic 1 into 2 setup and a couple chrome tips for a lot less than $ 900.

The Borla and magna Flow your paying for a performance low restrictive muffler / s and most are stainless steel etc
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

I also found this thread here thru a google search that I didn't find when searching the forum first:
hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/239321-2011-2-4l-exhaust-systems.html

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I didn't ... I also didn't realize (until now) that the GLS has the same 2.4L and only a single exhaust. If so then maybe the dual is only good for the +2 HP difference and the only other drawback is that our car will have two cutouts but no tip on the left side.

I'm also sure my daughter will care much less than I do. :D
It's about looks...it starts out single at the exhaust manifold, so it's really the symmetry aspect.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Yup and also remember, When they custom bend pipe it has to be the thick wall stuff. Make sure they do that and don’t use the common aftermarket pipes that rusts out in 18 months. Muffler shops try yo use the stock stuff that’s tissue paper thin and you want to avoid places like Midas for that reason. Stick with the custom shops that make systems with the heavy wall pipe. Have them show you some for comparison,you’ll see the difference right away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts