Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many of you here, I have found it rediculous to not have a spare tire. Hyundai has given me the "well you can buy the 270 dollar spare tire kit", that should have come with the car anyway. Spouting that the reasoning (right off the cuff answer) was "lower weight for better mileage, and many people have been hurt by changing their own tires" (hit by other cars).

With no help from the dealership, I took matters into my own hands. I started looking here, then looked for more answers. I think I may have found one.

Many junk yards, and even tire stores end up with donut spares just laying around. Many of them see them as junk and will off them very cheaply.
In fact I picked up a 4X100mm donut spare (be sure to test it on your car to ensure it spins freely) for 20 dollars.

The jack can be often be found at most goodwills, or value village second hand stores. Or if your into spending more you can pick up an OEM style scissor jack at an auto parts store very for very little money.
Lug wrench I happen to already have. So I tossed it into the trunk. But again they are cheap too.

Next I will try to find a way to put the spare into the car in its proper place and get it clamped down properly.

I hope this helps, and save us all alittle grief and money in the process.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
A couple of points:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-r...size-14-steel-spare-here-exactly-what-do.html

The car can take a full-size spare, I'd rather have that than the donut.

Be careful what jack you select - the factory jack is notched and goes AROUND the pinch weld and lifts from the body. The harbor freight jack, or a used Hyundai one should work, but one from another make could bend the pinch weld when you try to lift the car.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/141323-spare-tire-6.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/1130613-post54.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/1068850-post11.html

The top thread covers the OEM parts, the second link has the part numbers and the third link shows what they look like.

The only thing I haven't really seen is how to get the stryofoam piece that the jack is supposed to store in without buying the entire spare tire kit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone put a full size spare together for the SE?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not sure why the SE would be different - although I've read that the donut spare won't work with the hatchback, but I've never heard WHY?

I'd guess Canada's DOT requires it and USA's doesn't, but I don't know that for sure either.
It is my understanding the donut spare will work on the hatchback. Actually SE donut is a better spare for the GS with 14” steel wheels as it is closer to actual wheel diameter.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Actually SE donut is a better spare for the GS with 14” steel wheels as it is closer to actual wheel diameter.
You lost me here ...

The GS has 175/70R14 tires on steel rims. Not sure how the SE donut is closer to actual wheel diameter than a full-size spare with the SAME TIRE on it.

Now, if we are talking about the SE or the GLS preferred with 195/50R16 tires, the donut might be closer to the tire size than a 175/70R14 spare, but ...
  • You can only drive on it for 50 miles at under 50 mph (safely).
  • I'm pretty sure you could find a generic 16-inch rim that would work as a spare and still fit in the trunk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In the years past I would never have thought that there would be a discussion about car manufactures reducing weight by not putting spare tires in the trunks of their vehicles, including Hyundai to save gas mileage. Next they will come out and recommend that you go to the "John" before you get behind the wheel. Only in America. LOL

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
@Past Racer -
All SE's and the GLS with the preferred package came with 16-inch wheels.

All GS's and the GLS without the preferred package come with 14-inch wheels. (in the USA, at least).

Your previous post said "Actually SE donut is a better spare for the GS with 14” steel wheels as it is closer to actual wheel diameter."

Which confuses me, b/c you are saying that the donut is closer to the actual wheel diameter than the full-size tire which is identical to any of the other tires on an GS.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is there a separate SE donut tire? I don't believe there is...all I see is the T125/80-15 compact spare for any flavor of Accent. When I bought my 14" steel wheel replacement for my SE I was under the impression that the compact spare would not work on the SE because the hole pattern was different or there was some issue with the wheel components that caused it not to fit vs. the GS. A 175/70-14 and a 195-50-16 tire are the same diameter but apparently the 15" wheel they use for the donut spare is set up for the 14" replacement only ( ??? ). I never understood that....

·
Registered
430 Posts
@Past Racer -
Which confuses me, b/c you are saying that the donut is closer to the actual wheel diameter than the full-size tire which is identical to any of the other tires on an GS.
LOL, we are just misunderstanding each other. A full size tire would be better as it is same size. I was referring to your first post about “Donut Spare”.

Quote: "although I've read that the donut spare won't work with the hatchback, but I've never heard WHY?"

You can purchase a 14” donut spare from various cars to use on our car. In fact I have one from a Toyota. The factory donut spare comes on a 15” rim for all Accents and is taller than the 14” donut. Also, the bolt pattern is same on all Accents. So you can swap wheels between all models with no interference with brakes, etc..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is there a separate SE donut tire? I don't believe there is...all I see is the T125/80-15 compact spare for any flavor of Accent.
You are absolutely correct as far as I know. Also there is no difference in bolt patterns on GS and SE. I can put wheels off SE on my GS and someone could put my GS wheels on their SE.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
@Past Racer - we sure did a good job confusing each other!!!

Is there a separate SE donut tire? I don't believe there is...all I see is the T125/80-15 compact spare for any flavor of Accent. When I bought my 14" steel wheel replacement for my SE I was under the impression that the compact spare would not work on the SE because the hole pattern was different or there was some issue with the wheel components that caused it not to fit vs. the GS. A 175/70-14 and a 195-50-16 tire are the same diameter but apparently the 15" wheel they use for the donut spare is set up for the 14" replacement only ( ??? ). I never understood that....
No - the GLS (sedan) can come with either 14 or 16-inch tires and can use the donut spare. Doesn't mean the bolt patterns are necessarily the same for the hatchbacks, but I'm sure they are.

Spare Tire Kit, 2011 - 2014 Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Parts Superstore - Hyundai Accessories and Parts for sale online for a discount.
Genuine Hyundai Accent 2012+ Spare Tire Kit

Top link says 4-door only, bottom link says either 4-door or hatchback, but it's the SAME kit, and the 4-door could have either 14 or 16-inch wheels, so it isn't a GS or SE issue. I suspect the trunk well is slightly smaller on the hatchback, but I don't know why or even if it is for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The SE 5dr hatch accommodates a full size tire.
My setup:
From Discount Tire Direct 14" steel rim ($53) + 175 70R14 tire ($49) + valve ($3). Mounting, balancing, included. Shipping: free. Total: $105.
Got it in 3 days. Fits in the well perfect.

Add to that Harbor Freight scissor lift $18 (on sale) and folding multiple socket lug wrench ($9).

Grand total: $ 132.
Beats the **** out of the donut, not just on the price, but on the utility and safety also. This set-up can be driven at speed, for hundreds or even thousands of miles. Handling would be affected, but not catastrophically.
Since the well is there for a full size spare, why a donut? The extra weight is what? Maybe 10lbs? Would that matter at all in any shape or form?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Accent donut spare tire kit from Hyundai fits sedan or hatchback. I have a 2014 SE and bought the hyundai kit off ebay and it fits perfectly in hatch wheel well (locks down perfectly) and foam tool insert makes the hatchback floor perfectly flat, so the donut kit works for both Accents'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is TPMS needed for a full size spare? And the lug fit? I was in process of buying from Discount Tire Direct as recommended by MX5boi but on checkout I get "Warning: Using standard valve stem parts in your TPMS Sensor will damage the sensor." No sweat at $3.00 but, dammit, the $45 "Wheel Installation Kit" had this: "Purchasing this kit is strongly recommended as the original equipment lug hardware will not work on aftermarket wheels."

My local junkyard wants $70 for the "TPMS Confirming" used rim. I haven't looked for a 14" doughnut yet as I have a good tire to mount for the spare. Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts