Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good online source for SPIII ATF fluid? I know about ebay but there are a lot of counterfit car parts are sold on there ... a bit hesistant to order expensive ATF from ebay since counterfitters focus on the most outrageously priced items knowing that people are looking for cheaper alternatives.

I found SPII on Amazon from a dealer on the west coast for 6.17 a quart with free shipping but by the time I sat down to order it they were at zero stock and their ad hasn't returned.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What brand you looking for? and why not buy in locally? Advance Auto is selling Castrol for $5.39/qt

P

·
0 Posts
To save money please don't put in SP2. You will destroy your Transmission

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a typo in my post and it should say SP III. I guess I wasn't clear that I was looking for the Hyundai branded fluid.

I know that there are plenty of fluids that may be even better at a lower cost. I am still within the warranty. My owners manual says to use SP III or approved equivalent. As far as I've been able to tell there are no approved equivalents. Other manufacturers can claim they meet (and they probably do) the SP III spec but if they are not approved by Hyundai you will have a problem if you have a warranty claim.

I believe that this will eventually end in a class action lawsuit against Hyundai but to avoid the grief I've decided to suck it up and pay for the Hyundai fluid. I think that it can be found much cheaper by shopping around... I am asking if anyone knows where to look.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Did you get a message earlier in the inbox ?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My owners manual says to use SP III or approved equivalent. As far as I've been able to tell there are no approved equivalents. Other manufacturers can claim they meet (and they probably do) the SP III spec but if they are not approved by Hyundai you will have a problem if you have a warranty claim.
When I faced this dilemma the first time I flushed the AT, I called my local Hyundai dealer and asked them this very question. Their response was that it did not matter what brand of ATF was used as long as it was SP III compliant. In the event I needed any warranty work performed, all I needed were receipts showing that an SP III ATF was used each and every time I had the AT flushed. I'm 10K miles away from my third ATF flush and have experienced no issues whatsoever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts