Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I wanted to install a vacuum gauge and thought I would create this thread as I go as a how-to, or at least to share my experience. I will be tapping into the brake booster vacuum hose (3/8").

I started by buying an LED boost/vacuum gauge from HF, say what you want, but I have read only good reviews on it and am keeping this a dirt cheap project. It cost me $17 after a 25% off coupon.

It came with the gauge (and attached wiring), 1/8" tube that connects to gauge, 1/8" plastic T-fitting, a 1/8" NPT fitting, a bracket with screws, and a piece of rubber (maybe heat shrink) to use when wiring it up. The only thing I will be using is the gauge and hose, everything else will not help me because I am tapping into a 3/8" vacuum hose.

I constructed my own T-fitting that will accommodate the 1/8" gauge tubing and the 3/8" vacuum hose. I labeled all of the parts in this picture. They are NPT air hose fittings. Everything cost me about $10 here. It takes a lot of effort to get all the fittings together, so a good vice and adjustable wrench are helpful.

For installation you will also need to get some hose clamps that fit the vacuum hose, a grommet to pass the 1/8" tubing through in the firewall, and materials for wiring the gauge to power. I had all of this available already, so there was no cost here.

That is all for now, but will update this with the installation process once it is complete. Feel free to add any recommendations or comments.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If an admin could move this to the NF Sonata forum it might get some more action. DIY section seems a little quiet and I dont want to double post.

·
Registered
427 Posts
And how / where are you going to mount it?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
The brake booster line may have a check valve in it. Better to just tap into one of the smaller vacuum liens right as they come off the manifold.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used to run an electric boost gauge on my turbo sentra. I felt it was reading incorrectly. So I bought 3 mechanical gauges (all different price ranges), one of them being this Nitro from HF. They all read the same, while my electric one was off.

I returned all the mechanical ones besides the nitro one and kept it hidden as a secondary boost gauge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts